Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Think Solar

Mein Auto: 2008 X3; 2007 650i conv
Galves vs. Manheim

Just curious how the data compiled by these two sources differs (if it does.) I have seen values given for similar vehicles by both services that seem to be very close, but not always.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Ads by Google
Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Think Solar

OK, no one responded here, but I did get an opinion from a colleague at work that used to work for a non-BMW dealer in the Austin area. He says that dealers generally utilize Manheim, but that Galves estimates are almost always within the same value range on identical vehicle profiles.

I bring this up because I know that some dealers on this forum feel pestered by requests for Manheim auction values. Galves apparently offers very similar data for a small fee to anyone that requests it.

MY2008 X3 3.0si |Monaco Blue| Sand | Sport | Prem | NAV | Auto | Euro Delivery 9/21/07

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
Galves tends to be used more in the East. Dealers in the Midwest, South, & West, iirc, will only use Manheim (and may not know what Galves is, in my experience).
Old 07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthompson View Post
Galves tends to be used more in the East. Dealers in the Midwest, South, & West, iirc, will only use Manheim (and may not know what Galves is, in my experience).
Galves is a company that monitors auction results and publishes a price list. I'm not sure where they are getting all the data from, but I think it just coming from the East Coast.

Manheim is an actual auction company with locations all over the US... they are basically the largest out there. They compile pricing information based on all of the transactions at their auctions, and you can break it down by region of the country. What Manheim does not do is break it down into a specific price list with "adds" and "deducts" for mileage and specific option packages like Galves or other guides (NADA, etc.).

On high end cars, my experience as a dealer has been that I wish I could buy cars at the auction for Galves value. Most "nice" cars sell for well above the Galves value at an auction like Manheim.

6MT, M-Sport, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Tech Pkg, HK Sound, M Performance Exhaust, M Performance Power Kit

Former: 2011 335xi Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Think Solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
On high end cars, my experience as a dealer has been that I wish I could buy cars at the auction for Galves value. Most "nice" cars sell for well above the Galves value at an auction like Manheim.
Thanks, good to know. However, I just compared the Galves price range with the Manheim number given out earlier today to answer another member's request on a 2007 X3. The range is essentially identical:

Manheim: $24k to $27k
Galves: $24.5k to $26.5k

I'm not necessarily advocating one over another...As noted previously, I just thought this might reduce the number of Manheim requests on this forum. I really appreciate the support of you and others like you on this board, and I got the impression that giving out Manheim values was somewhat of a PITA for those with access. As long as nobody here minds answering Manheim requests, I will gladly use the those figures as a basis when it comes time to buy/sell/trade my cars.

2004 X5 4.4i (retired)