Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 07-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5
which Bike to Buy?

I drove Yamaha Rx 100 in india for a long time but never drove a bike in USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_RX_100

Since i never had experience riding in USA, what should be the bike i should look at?

Looking to buy a used one and can spend around 3 to 4 grand

Any suggestions?

Last edited by bullaX5; 07-12-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
I picked up my 01 F4i for $3500, great bike, cheap to maintain, decent MPG, fast, it's a great package.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Slacker Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: '02 3LOU5i
You can't go wrong with anything built by Honda.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - Aly's and Susi's (our two Miniature Schnauzers)
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S
Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM
On the Road!

Mein Auto: 335 E90
You probably want to stay under 600cc and stay away from the sportbikes if you haven't ridden since your old 100cc bike.

You haven't defined the use you have in mind (long highway trips / commute / plonking around the neighborhood) so my advice is a a long shot.

Take a look at the smaller displacement dual sport bikes. These get terrific mileage, are easy for a beginner, and the maintenance is simple. Take a look at the Kawasaki Super Sherpa or the Yamaha XT250.

Make sure also that you set aside some budget money for a good quality helmet, jacket, and gloves.

And if you haven't ridden in a while, take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class - they offer a beginners class that's probably too basic if you already have a license, and an advanced class that's not really that advanced (not a track class!) but it offers a great refresher.

If the dual sport isn't your cup of tea, give us a better idea of your experience and intended uses and we can re-assess.

Dave.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Thanks Ryans, 3LOU5 and Dave.

Dave, Thanks for the advice, I am planning to get a low powered bike , less than 600CC. My primary use would be to drive around the suburb and occasional trip on the highway to NY City ( 30 miles on I87 )

I registered for a MSF course to get the License and also get a refersher training in a safe enviornment. It's a long time since i rode a bike, i definitely need some training before i hit the roads..

I am leaning towards dual sport bikes as they would suit my needs and they look and feel similar to the low powered bikes i drove before

hunting craigslist for a decent second hand bike
Old 07-17-2009, 06:31 AM
On the Road!

Mein Auto: 335 E90
Sounds like a great plan ! Especially the training.

BMW also offers rider training at the Performance Center in South Carolina. I believe that is a bit more advanced ... but I'm thinking of trading in my street bike (BMW K1200RS) one of these days and picking up the BMW F800GS ... in that case I think a pilgrammage to SC might be in order for the "off road" day of training.

Good luck and safe riding.

Dave.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaX5 View Post
Thanks Ryans, 3LOU5 and Dave.

Dave, Thanks for the advice, I am planning to get a low powered bike , less than 600CC. My primary use would be to drive around the suburb and occasional trip on the highway to NY City ( 30 miles on I87 )

I registered for a MSF course to get the License and also get a refersher training in a safe enviornment. It's a long time since i rode a bike, i definitely need some training before i hit the roads..

I am leaning towards dual sport bikes as they would suit my needs and they look and feel similar to the low powered bikes i drove before

hunting craigslist for a decent second hand bike

Some options to look at:
Suzuki DRZ400 dual-sport
Suzuki SV650 (it's a V-Twin, not a *whole* lot of power but great overall 'standard' style bikes that can do it all).
Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinkibikr View Post
Sounds like a great plan ! Especially the training.

BMW also offers rider training at the Performance Center in South Carolina. I believe that is a bit more advanced ... but I'm thinking of trading in my street bike (BMW K1200RS) one of these days and picking up the BMW F800GS ... in that case I think a pilgrammage to SC might be in order for the "off road" day of training.

Good luck and safe riding.

Dave.

whats the damage for BMW rider training?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Some options to look at:
Suzuki DRZ400 dual-sport
Suzuki SV650 (it's a V-Twin, not a *whole* lot of power but great overall 'standard' style bikes that can do it all).
Thanks Kris
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
Consider a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. It's super reliable, low, cheap to maintain, awesome on gas and that engine is excellent. For heavy urban riding (like NYC) you may be able to find a BMW G 650 in your price range. That single cylinder is a tad buzzy, but they're awesome bikes.
09 BMW 135i 'vert Jet Blk/Beige Lthr
07 Z4 3.0si. Jet Blk/Saddle Brwn Ext Lthr
03 Toyota Matrix XRS. Blk w/grey
04 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Red
01 BMW 325 4dr. Titanium Silver, Blk int
94 325 'vert. Blk w/ Tan lthr
90 325iX Sedan. Diamond Blk w/ Blk lthr
All manual transmission
*currently
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
you could check out the 250's, very small, light, and low on power. you can get a 250cc in cruiser style bike or sport bike. i have a 06 kawasaki ninja 500. got it for 3600. i've enjoyed. the nice thing is it's carburated, so it's easy to work on.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
you could check out the 250's, very small, light, and low on power. you can get a 250cc in cruiser style bike or sport bike. i have a 06 kawasaki ninja 500. got it for 3600. i've enjoyed. the nice thing is it's carburated, so it's easy to work on.
The thing about 250s is that unless you're under 150lbs you'll get tired of it very quickly. I say that because of this: even if you never plan on exceeding 100mph, the time it takes to get up to speed is pretty long if you don't redline it in every gear. I found driving my friends 08 Ninja 250 to be very scary for that reason. Interstate driving often requires a lot of lane switching/slowing/speeding up, and if you're bike doesn't have the power to get you moving you'll be in trouble sooner or later. A lot of my friends started on 250s and intended to keep them for a long time, but ditched them in under 1 year. I started on a CBR 600 F2 and rode that for two years, great bike. If you respect the bike you can start on just about anything.

Last edited by Ryan...; 07-26-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
livin the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryans E39 View Post
The thing about 250s is that unless you're under 150lbs you'll get tired of it very quickly. I say that because of this: even if you never plan on exceeding 100mph, the time it takes to get up to speed is pretty long if you don't redline it in every gear. I found driving my friends 08 Ninja 250 to be very scary for that reason. Interstate driving often requires a lot of lane switching/slowing/speeding up, and if you're bike doesn't have the power to get you moving you'll be in trouble sooner or later. A lot of my friends started on 250s and intended to keep them for a long time, but ditched them in under 1 year. I started on a CBR 600 F2 and rode that for two years, great bike. If you respect the bike you can start on just about anything.
oh i agree with you on the 250's. that's why i got the 500 over the 250. my coworkers told me the same thing, with me being of 200 lbs. i would be very unhappy with a 250. but hey if's he is comfy with a 500 or 600, they make great starter bikes. i do plan on keeping my 500 for a long time. it's quick of the line, handles well, and looks pretty good. the down side is kawasaki isn't going to make any more 500's. none have been sold in ca. for a couple of years and i belive none have been sold in the last 6 yrs in europe. so in some places the 09's will be the last ones.
so it seems that 250's or 600/650's will be the new starter bikes.
:
Old 07-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans e39 View Post
the thing about 250s is that unless you're under 150lbs you'll get tired of it very quickly. I say that because of this: Even if you never plan on exceeding 100mph, the time it takes to get up to speed is pretty long if you don't redline it in every gear. I found driving my friends 08 ninja 250 to be very scary for that reason. Interstate driving often requires a lot of lane switching/slowing/speeding up, and if you're bike doesn't have the power to get you moving you'll be in trouble sooner or later. A lot of my friends started on 250s and intended to keep them for a long time, but ditched them in under 1 year. I started on a cbr 600 f2 and rode that for two years, great bike. If you respect the bike you can start on just about anything.
+1. 250s can be scary on the freeway... you get blown around bigtime.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
so it seems that 250's or 600/650's will be the new starter bikes.
I stopped in at a dealer today, and I was amazed at the deals they had on new/used bikes. They had a brand new 08 ZX10R for $7890!! They even had some 07 (I believe) ZX6rs selling for under $5000. The deals are amazing, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more new riders on really decent bikes...
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 AM
livin the 'Fest

Quote:
I stopped in at a dealer today, and I was amazed at the deals they had on new/used bikes. They had a brand new 08 ZX10R for $7890!! They even had some 07 (I believe) ZX6rs selling for under $5000. The deals are amazing, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more new riders on really decent bikes...
that will be true. i was in at the dealer a couple of weeks ago for an inspection. i too notice all the sells going on. it amazes me that a bike that is 2 yrs old never riden, still new. but still gettin full price as some new ones.
but i wouldn't recomend a zx too any new rider. as in the wise words the dealer told me. the zx's are unforgiven to new riders, pull the throttle too hard by accident and your on you ass. one of the reasons why i bought the 500.
:
Old 07-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
but i wouldn't recomend a zx too any new rider. as in the wise words the dealer told me. the zx's are unforgiven to new riders, pull the throttle too hard by accident and your on you ass. one of the reasons why i bought the 500.
I also wouldn't, mainly because I've been on a few and think the CBR and GSXR 600s are much better bikes. The Ninja felt quick, but both the cbr and gsxr felt much better through the twisties. That could be for a few reasons though: familiarity, tire type, and different suspension setups. Plus all the zx riders I know are d-bags...
Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
livin the 'Fest

Quote:
Plus all the zx riders I know are d-bags...
thank God mine is a 500R.
being a R keeps me out of d-bag group, right? lets b friends.
:
Old 07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
thank God mine is a 500R.
being a R keeps me out of d-bag group, right? lets b friends.
My friend also has a Ninja 500, so we're cool
I don't honestly care what bike anyone rides, as long as it's got two wheels! It just so happens the three guys with the ZX6Rs happen to be people I'd rather not associate with...