Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 540i sport
Ugh, I can't believe I just bought a 3rd

Alright, I own a 2000 540i sport, a 1988 325is and just bought a 1987 535is today. Can anyone tell me what they think? I paid $500 for: 200K miles, 5sp, pretty much garbage interior...the seats are tearing, not terribly, but they are. Also, the seats aren't structurally sound. The power works for the most part in the seats, but they're pretty much broken. Like the driver's seat backrest leans to one side. The back seat is ripping in the middle (how did they manage that??) Cracked dash. Like, really cracked. A/C blows warm, bad alternator, fan clutch locked up, and rust around the underside of the trunk (not the trunk lid.) So, why did I buy this car? The body and paint are amazing! No crappy plastic hanging off, no rust on the outside, 4 brand new V rated tires on original OEM rims, which don't look half bad either. I can fix the fan clutch and change out the alternator, but the thing that worries me is that rust in the trunk. I know the trunk leaks, I could smell it. The car really looks great, the clutch felt good, it has a CD player in it, the steering wheel wasn't in bad shape either. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera on me, as I just bought it. I will post pics soon...
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Does the engine work? How are the B-pillars and other parts of the interior I have the parts if you are interested.

The back seat is ripping in the middle: What color is the interior? If llami I can help you with the rear seats.

Cracked dash: I have very nice looking dash for 100 plus shipping.

A/C blows warm: replace the Dryer and do a r134 conversion,

Does the heater blower work? they tend to die

bad alternator: Should be able to pick up a good used one for 45 to 60 dollars.

fan clutch locked up: I have a good used one for 15 plus shipping

rust around the underside of the trunk: This tends to happen around the license plate lights. It just gets worse if you do not take care of it. I can send you that section of the car if you want to weld in a new section. 25 plus shipping (I am parting a rest free 535i and a 535is.)

I know the trunk leaks, I could smell it: Easy fix to replace the seal. Costs are 65 dollars

Andy
Old 08-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Well, now that I think about it...The car was dead cold when I started it, but the fan was on as soon as I turned it over. So I revved the engine lightly, and the fan stayed with it. I'm wondering, if it is necessarily a bad fan clutch, or is the clutch engaged because a faulty coolant temperature sensor is telling it to engage...Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
The fans always turn. there is no reference sensor for the fan on the engine. It just screws on to the front of the engine and it turns, when the clutch goes bad it does not turn enough to cool the engine. Now the secondary can go bad, but that is a whole different type of fan.

Andy
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south26 View Post
The fans always turn. there is no reference sensor for the fan on the engine. It just screws on to the front of the engine and it turns, when the clutch goes bad it does not turn enough to cool the engine. Now the secondary can go bad, but that is a whole different type of fan.

Andy
Wait, you're telling me that no matter what the engine RPMs, the fan is turning the same RPMs? That's crazy...I own an E39, and when the clutch for the fan goes bad, the fan turns the same speed as the engine, and when that happens the fan flies apart and plastic blades go through the hood. This just can't be...