Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
E53 in Crazy Crosswinds??

Hi all, I'm considering buying a 2006 E53 3.0 with the sport package and need to know how the E53 handles very high crosswinds. I live in New Mexico where we commonly see winds above 50 MPH with gusts sometimes reaching 70. Combine that with our average highway road speed of 80 MPH and, stability in wind becomes an important factor. (I owned an '05 Xterra that blew from lane to lane). What are your experiences with very high winds?? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Also, how do they do in the snow and high altitude (the 3.0 from a power perspective)?

Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2009, 11:45 AM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
I've driven our '01 3.0/sport in slashing TStorms and the remnant "arms" of hurricanes. We have skated across hundred yards of ponding water on interstates,
and climbed up and down our winding mtn roads here in the Appalachians, at 5,000+ feet. The ol'X has never blinked; rock steady, amazing car, imo.

Yes, you will feel some of the strong winds but it just keeps on going...

Put on a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels for the winter and while it is not a wall climber, it really goes up and down the snowy roads.
You will love it, imo!
GL,mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 08-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I've driven our '01 3.0/sport in slashing TStorms and the remnant "arms" of hurricanes. We have skated across hundred yards of ponding water on interstates,
and climbed up and down our winding mtn roads here in the Appalachians, at 5,000+ feet. The ol'X has never blinked; rock steady, amazing car, imo.

Yes, you will feel some of the strong winds but it just keeps on going...

Put on a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels for the winter and while it is not a wall climber, it really goes up and down the snowy roads.
You will love it, imo!
GL,mD
Thanks! That's encouraging.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Any vehicle that's tall and basically slab sided will be impacted by cross winds. In cases like this, weight is your friend. The more the vehicle weighs, the more stable it is (all other things being equal). My experience has been that cross wind stability is pretty good.

Now, grooved pavement... that's a totally different issue.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:27 AM

I wonder if anyone can comment on their experience driving a 3.0 at altitudes above 7000 ft (both in the mountains and at highway speeds). How adequate/inadequate is the power? Thanks very much.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
I've taken piece of crap rental cars to 9,000 feet on the Big Island of Hawaii, it's fine. YOu're basically down about 25% in horsepower. More than adequate to haul the car around. In normal driving you never use the full potential of your engine anyhow. Who drives at redline all day long?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffVander View Post
I've taken piece of crap rental cars to 9,000 feet on the Big Island of Hawaii, it's fine. YOu're basically down about 25% in horsepower. More than adequate to haul the car around. In normal driving you never use the full potential of your engine anyhow. Who drives at redline all day long?
It's not really a question of max power output at redline. Because, you're exactly right, who can drive like that? It's about whether at 80 MPH in 6th on the interstate, one needs to downshift for every hill or passing maneuver. Or, pulling away from a light in first on a 90 degree day, is the engine gasping for breath? (By the way, I drive a manual). These are not max power output questions but drivability issues.