Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 06' Cobalt
Looking to Buy - Need Help!

I've been a fan of BMWs for as long as I can remember and I particularly like older BMWs, especially the 5-series. There happens to be an '85 528E for sale locally that I am interested in buying, but I'm not sure the price is right. It's selling for $1,095 but it does need some work. It has 88k miles, automatic transmission, with A/C, power locks and windows, and cruise. Apparently the A/C belt is missing and the clutch does not engage. Also, the tires are bald and need replacing. I was told the engine runs fairly rough and that it definitely needs a new head gasket to even be road worthy. It also needs some exhaust work. The body is in pretty good condition, as well as the interior. So, all that being said, is the price about right? As you can tell, I know little to nothing about buying a BMW and this would be the first one I own. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1983 528e
well the car is probably worth a lottle more than that
but
the things that you have mentioned are not cheap fixes
that is were the car becomes expensive
i have resently purchased a 1983 528e and i had to to all of that to it and more
and im well over 3000 and iv only had the car for a couple of months