Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Bimmerfest 2009 Santa Barbara, CA sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks
The 10th annual Bimmerfest show in Santa Barbara, CA will be held on May 2, 2009 at the Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club!
Sponsored by HorsepowerFreaks

Old 05-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
Boycott the Sandpiper in 2010-- charged us $400 when we did nothing wrong

Anyone who was there this weekend will tell you about all or the ridiculous stuff that management did to bimmerfest attendees and how poorly we were all treated. But no one was treated worse then us poor souls in room 114, who got charged an extra $400 for noise complaints and the police coming when the police never came, and we were asleep when said noise complaints were made and when the fantasy cops came to the hotel room.

In all, they threatened to call the police, tow our cars and evict us even when we were being complacent and doing nothing wrong.

That was your cliffs, here is the weekend in more details

We had trouble at the Sandpiper last year too but decided to give it another shot. We had rented about about 80% of the hotel and in typical bimmerfest fashion there were a lot of people going room to room meeting each other and hanging out.

We were badgered constantly all Friday night even after we split up and quieted down. Yes, at 10 and 11 we were being loud, but most people headed over to Motel 6 after that because we didn't want to deal with management. Those who stayed for the most part kept it down. That is a little besides the point though, because the real bull**** happened after it was quiet.

At around 1:30am Friday night, we get a call to our room about noise complaints and threats to kick us out for noise and for people walking by our room (wtf we can't control where people walk!). We aren't being loud. Ironically, the phone woke some of us up when the "noise" didn't.

They called back twice after that about a minute a part from each other... then they just started calling and hanging up. We unplugged the phone.

My friend Siobhan and her friend went outside for a cigarette shortly after all this and as she quietly stood there and smoked the manager came up to her and threatened to evict us again if she didn't go inside. They said specifically that they had 7 noise complaints about them being outside! They were being quiet because of what had just happened and didn't want any more trouble. I also want to note that everyone there for bimmerfest received calls for seven complaints about their room and their room in particular. They were making up noise complaints!

Saturday night everyone went out to State St. because we didn't want problems, but even though we were quiet the drama found us. Everyone came back, settled down and went to sleep without issue. My boyfriend and I had already been asleep for about two hours in the adjoining room (with the door open) and didn't even hear them come in. There were no calls made to our room, no visits from the manager, nothing. Just a quiet, peaceful night.

or so we thought.

Come Sunday morning when we go to check out there is a $400 charge on our bill for noise and the police coming on Saturday night. The time all of this happened was after we were asleep! We called the police to get the room number from the report and discovered that the police never came!

They sent a car over to the hotel to help us clear things up with the management (lets give SBPD a thumbsup on this one). The manager pretended to remove the charge, but then wouldn't give us a receipt. The officer forced the manager to give him the receipt, and when he did the $400 charge was still there even though we did nothing wrong!

Now Siobhan had to go through her credit card to remove a charge for an event that didn't even happen.

So cliffs part two: never stay at the Sandpiper. They obviously don't want our business, so lets refuse to give it to them. Bimmerfest 2010 we boycott the Sandpiper.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
The Ramada is THE place for Bimmerfest attendees. The GM is a Bimmerfest fan!!

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 • The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 05-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Jon, thanks for a great event. This was the best bimmerfest to date! Bimmerfest needs to let people know that the sandpiper doesn't want our business. They obviously don't want bimmerfest attendees staying there. I know for a fact that they are well aware of bimmerfest and knew why we were there and that we were going to be there (I overheard the manager speaking to security about the event) however, regardless of this prior knowledge they still sold rooms to us and then harassed us all weekend long even when we were being quiet.

No one should stay at this hotel. No one should have to deal with this level of BS. If they don't want our business we should not give it to them.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I was afraid you were louder than you thought you were until you said the SBPD came out to help you resolve it. Damn. That's bullsh*t on the Sandpiper's part to do that to you and to the SBPD for resolving things after the manager lied about it. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 AM
bigdaddyfatsac.com

Send a message via AIM to 04SSHD Send a message via MSN to 04SSHD Send a message via Skype™ to 04SSHD
Mein Auto: nothing
I don't know Lauren...I have heard the stories of how rowdy you guys get there.... are you sure you didn't provoke them?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
haha my friend called me friday night tripin out cuz he saw so many bimmers at ramada... that being a random hotel that he chose...

2008 E92 M3.ALPINE WHITE.BLACK NOVILLO.CARBON FIBER ROOF.ALUMINUM TRIM.FULL OPTIONS.

Burgers and Bimmers meet #5; July 26th, 2009, 6PM. More info soon!
Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 AM
(oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo)

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5 speed
wow, wtf?

Fs: KAC-8103D, Kicker 08ts10l52
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
That's BS - like my bogus speeding ticket. Is there any way to not pay that extra $400 (tell the credit card company the Sandpiper charged it to the wrong room?)
Photo gallery
Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SSHD View Post
I don't know Lauren...I have heard the stories of how rowdy you guys get there.... are you sure you didn't provoke them?
Amanda, what we are complaining about happened when no one was doing anything, and that is the problem. if you are in the parking lot in the middle of the night being loud and they tell you to go inside that is one thing and 100% understandable, when we three people are talking in a room so quietly that the people in the adjacent room (with the door open between the two rooms because it doesn't close) are able to sleep through it-- that isn't grounds to call and threaten to evict us. We were flanked by bfc people, they didn't hear us and they definitely didn't complain about us. When they threatened Siobhan she was standing quietly outside. The irony is that no one heard her until after the manager came and started yelling at her and threatening to evict her if she didn't go inside ASAP.

They never gave anyone a chance. It went from zero to eviction without any provocation. All anyone had to do was be there with a BMW and they were marked. People who were quiet and away from the crowd were being harassed just because of what they drove. We were being accused of things we didn't do. Since when is it a crime to stand outside of your room? Or walk quietly through a parking lot? Or talk quietly in your room? It isn't. Partying is one thing, but harassment when you don't do anything wrong is completely different.

it is also total and complete BS that the charge wasn't removed AFTER the police came and proved that no one came to our room. No one else was charged this fee. Just us. And we were asleep when the so-called trouble happened.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
Without a doubt!

Although, their pillows suck...
Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 AM
bigdaddyfatsac.com

Send a message via AIM to 04SSHD Send a message via MSN to 04SSHD Send a message via Skype™ to 04SSHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeam View Post
Amanda, what we are complaining about happened when no one was doing anything, and that is the problem. if you are in the parking lot in the middle of the night being loud and they tell you to go inside that is one thing and 100% understandable, when we three people are talking in a room so quietly that the people in the adjacent room (with the door open between the two rooms because it doesn't close) are able to sleep through it-- that isn't grounds to call and threaten to evict us. We were flanked by bfc people, they didn't hear us and they definitely didn't complain about us. When they threatened Siobhan she was standing quietly outside. The irony is that no one heard her until after the manager came and started yelling at her and threatening to evict her if she didn't go inside ASAP.

They never gave anyone a chance. It went from zero to eviction without any provocation. All anyone had to do was be there with a BMW and they were marked. People who were quiet and away from the crowd were being harassed just because of what they drove. We were being accused of things we didn't do. Since when is it a crime to stand outside of your room? Or walk quietly through a parking lot? Or talk quietly in your room? It isn't. Partying is one thing, but harassment when you don't do anything wrong is completely different.

it is also total and complete BS that the charge wasn't removed AFTER the police came and proved that no one came to our room. No one else was charged this fee. Just us. And we were asleep when the so-called trouble happened.
I'm not Amanda, but I have heard years worth of stories about what you guys HAVE done there and the way I see it is they don't have a tollerence for you guys there any more. So why keep going there???
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
bigdaddyfatsac.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
That's BS - like my bogus speeding ticket. Is there any way to not pay that extra $400 (tell the credit card company the Sandpiper charged it to the wrong room?)
Yeah, I saw you pulled over in the morning and felt bad. I was the one that came over and greeted you early in the day and asked you if you got a ticket.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '99 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S. View Post
+1

Bimmerfest is embraced at Ramada, it's like the pre-bimmerfest show. GM there is a great guy.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SSHD View Post
I'm not Amanda, but I have heard years worth of stories about what you guys HAVE done there and the way I see it is they don't have a tollerence for you guys there any more. So why keep going there???
Thread is titled "boycott the Sandpiper"

What people did in the past has nothing to do with us not doing anything this time. If they don't want our business they should tell us, not welcome us when we come and charge us fees when we try to be respectful.

Also "hearing" and seeing are two different things, you weren't there to see how ridiculous they were being. Most people went over to the Motel 6 to avoid problems with the Sandpiper, but it didn't matter whether we were here, there, noise or quiet. We couldn't even walk through the parking lot without being harassed.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Bryan@Jlevi SW
Mein Auto: E46 330i
The Sandpiper staff were definitely rude and harassed many of us. I was yelled at for standing at the doorway of a room quietly waiting while my friend grabbed her things. We were literally being as silent as possible as not to wake up her friend's who were sleeping inside the room. Definitely not fantastic treatment from the staff, but a fun weekend regardless.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Too much of a good thing

Mein Auto: Car, truck, lawnmower
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeam View Post

So you say someone singled you out and treated you unfairly?

What a shame!