Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
2 days in a 3.5

Dealer let me keep it for two days. Currently own a 335i Coupe. The 335i has been one excellent car over the last 3 years and I have no reservations about getting another. Also like the 135. But my dealer has a 3.5 that he wants to deal on so I'm interested.

Upside:
Like that shifting in the dual clutch auto.
Like the accelleration (about same as 335i, but a little faster, though same engine)
Like the handling
Noticeable difference with sport modes that are easy to turn on
Self-stowing hard-top, YEAH what's not to like (ok read lower)
This car looks nice, and people notice it ... young, old, blind, deaf, it doesn't matter, everyone notices this car. Yeah, I will get some dates if I take this car (dates I wouldn't get otherwise).
Gas mileage pretty decent, and I drive it hard. Ended up at around 25 mpg driving it a little harder than my 335i which ends up around 21.6 mpg.
Can it be true? Yes, the insurance quote is less on the 3.5 z4 than on my 335i Coupe. Go figure!

Downside:
Base stereo is lame, low volume not much kick. Premium stereo is too pricey and blocks desired options.
Storage space is missing. Coming from a 335i where I had lots of room, the z4 in comparison basically has no room.
12v sockets seem to be curiously missing. Just one, far back from dash.
Pricing, very pricey.
There's some little blip when the dual clutch shifts. I can get used to this, and maybe it's on purpose, but it sounds weird at first, but frankly I guess I didn't mind that much.

I think I put on around 500 miles in two days just tooling around here and there. Had the police been on the lookout, I'd have lost my license putting this car through the hoops. Handling is great compared to the 335i, and the 335i has great handling. Style is improved versus earlier z4s, which I just never quite liked the look of. Gun it in normal and the hood bops, put it in sport and the hood stays level as you accelerate. I didn't break the rear end around any corners, so I guess I didn't push it hard enough.

I picked up my 335i in Munich and spent a few weeks on the autobahn, yeah cruise control works at 150 mph. Took the z4 past 120, and it gets there easily, but didn't keep it up to hit the speed limitation. From 50 to 100 it takes seconds.

Overall, I rate this car an 8 out of 10. I rate my 335i a 10 out of 10 in its class, and it's the best car I've ever had (previously had a 540, a 330xi among others).
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utekai View Post
Dealer let me keep it for two days. Currently own a 335i Coupe. The 335i has been one excellent car over the last 3 years and I have no reservations about getting another. Also like the 135. But my dealer has a 3.5 that he wants to deal on so I'm interested.

Upside:
Like the accelleration (about same as 335i, but a little faster, though same engine)
Like the handling
This car looks nice, and people notice it ... young, old, blind, deaf, it doesn't matter, everyone notices this car. Yeah, I will get some dates if I take this car (dates I wouldn't get otherwise).
Gas mileage pretty decent, and I drive it hard. Ended up at around 25 mpg driving it a little harder than my 335i which ends up around 21.6 mpg.
Can it be true? Yes, the insurance quote is less on the 3.5 z4 than on my 335i Coupe. Go figure!

Downside:
Base stereo is lame, low volume not much kick. Premium stereo is too pricey and blocks desired options.
Storage space is missing. Coming from a 335i where I had lots of room, the z4 in comparison basically has no room.
Pricing, very pricey.
There's some little blip when the dual clutch shifts. I can get used to this, and maybe it's on purpose, but it sounds weird at first, but frankly I guess I didn't mind that much.

I think I put on around 500 miles in two days just tooling around here and there. Had the police been on the lookout, I'd have lost my license putting this car through the hoops. Handling is great compared to the 335i, and the 335i has great handling. Style is improved versus earlier z4s, which I just never quite liked the look of. Gun it in normal and the hood bops, put it in sport and the hood stays level as you accelerate. I didn't break the rear end around any corners, so I guess I didn't push it hard enough.

I picked up my 335i in Munich and spent a few weeks on the autobahn, yeah cruise control works at 150 mph. Took the z4 past 120, and it gets there easily, but didn't keep it up to hit the speed limitation. From 50 to 100 it takes seconds.

Overall, I rate this car an 8 out of 10. I rate my 335i a 10 out of 10 in its class, and it's the best car I've ever had (previously had a 540, a 330xi among others).
AWESOME, now don't buy that one, 'cause it sounds like you broke every rule for breaking in the engine
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Bimmerphile

Mein Auto: Z4 MC, 2lt x3, 120 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utekai View Post

Upside:
Like the handling

Downside:
Pricing, very pricey.

How's the roof structure. Is the car solid enough, or does is it full of bump/thunk noises?