Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
asaseaban's Avatar
asaseaban asaseaban is offline
Y ask y? Ask y not!
Location: DMV
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: F02
New iDrive HDD based Navigation updates

Anyone know how BMW plans on updating the new hard drive based navigation systems. Does it require taking the car to the dealership or updates can be downloaded via BMW Connected Drive?
__________________
_______________
2000 740iL Space Gray - Sold
2003 745Li Titanium Silver - Sold
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 PM
hayden's Avatar
hayden hayden is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 718
Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
Anyone know how BMW plans on updating the new hard drive based navigation systems. Does it require taking the car to the dealership or updates can be downloaded via BMW Connected Drive?
Don't know for a fact, but I'm fairly certain it will be dealer updates.
__________________
ED Vehicle: 2009 F02 750Li | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Nappa Leather | Fineline Matte Wood Trim
ED Tour: Aug 25th - Sep 9th 2009. (Itinerary | Trip Report | Route Map).
ED Progress: Welt Delivery Aug 27th; Drop off at Paris Sep 8th; Redelivery October 30th.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2009, 04:43 AM
pepsicola47 pepsicola47 is offline
Registered User
Location: Melbourne
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 330i
I work in a dealership, and as far as I know. It has to be update in a dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
asaseaban's Avatar
asaseaban asaseaban is offline
Y ask y? Ask y not!
Location: DMV
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola47 View Post
I work in a dealership, and as far as I know. It has to be update in a dealership.
So i assume customers will receive some kind of email or notification from their dealership whenever new updates for the Navigation system OS and/or maps are available or customers will have to make random calls to the dealership to see if any update is/are available?

In the past, i've relied on bimmernav.com, Navteq, x5world.com (now xoutpost.com) and my friend from the local dealership parts department to get updates on NAV OS upgrades and map updates. For NAV OS upgrade, i've always bought the OS software online (i'll get the part number from my friend) and do the upgrade myself. I like the DIY plus its less expensive compare to what the dealership charges for parts and labor just for the NAV OS software upgrade. In addition, i was able to customize the NAV OS software to include additional pictures, fonts, and voices. I'm anxious to see if the new iDrive HDD based navigation system will continue to support the aforementioned customization.

I'm very happy with the HDD Navigation system because i no longer have to spend $199 twice a year buying navigation DVDs from Navteq but i'm curious as to how much the dealerships will charge for new map updates and i also wonder if Navteq will comeup with a new DVD map update(s) for the new iDrive HDD navigation system that can be downloaded onto the nav system (without requiring the DVD to reside in the system like the old MKIV nav unit) and is less expensive to compete with BMW dealerships.

I read somewhere that the new map updates will be available in DVD format that the dealership will load/install onto the iDrive HDD navigation system. Can customers purchase the DVD and do the install/loading themselves or this is strictly a dealership thing?
__________________
_______________
2000 740iL Space Gray - Sold
2003 745Li Titanium Silver - Sold
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red

Last edited by asaseaban; 08-18-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 AM
hayden's Avatar
hayden hayden is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 718
Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
So i assume customers will receive some kind of email or notification from their dealership whenever new updates for the Navigation system OS and/or maps are available or customers will have to make random calls to the dealership to see if any update is/are available?

In the past, i've relied on bimmernav.com, Navteq, x5world.com (now xoutpost.com) and my friend from the local dealership parts department to get updates on NAV OS upgrades and map updates. For NAV OS upgrade, i've always bought the OS software online (i'll get the part number from my friend) and do the upgrade myself. I like the DIY plus its less expensive compare to what the dealership charges for parts and labor just for the NAV OS software upgrade. In addition, i was able to customize the NAV OS software to include additional pictures, fonts, and voices. I'm anxious to see if the new iDrive HDD based navigation system will continue to support the aforementioned customization.

I'm very happy with the HDD Navigation system because i no longer have to spend $199 twice a year buying navigation DVDs from Navteq but i'm curious as to how much the dealerships will charge for new map updates and i also wonder if Navteq will comeup with a new DVD map update(s) for the new iDrive HDD navigation system that can be downloaded onto the nav system (without requiring the DVD to reside in the system like the old MKIV nav unit) and is less expensive to compete with BMW dealerships.

I read somewhere that the new map updates will be available in DVD format that the dealership will load/install onto the iDrive HDD navigation system. Can customers purchase the DVD and do the install/loading themselves or this is strictly a dealership thing?
All good questions. I wonder the same as well. One thing I am almost certain of... we will still be required to pay for yearly updates to the map data.
__________________
ED Vehicle: 2009 F02 750Li | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Nappa Leather | Fineline Matte Wood Trim
ED Tour: Aug 25th - Sep 9th 2009. (Itinerary | Trip Report | Route Map).
ED Progress: Welt Delivery Aug 27th; Drop off at Paris Sep 8th; Redelivery October 30th.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
asaseaban's Avatar
asaseaban asaseaban is offline
Y ask y? Ask y not!
Location: DMV
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
All good questions. I wonder the same as well. One thing I am almost certain of... we will still be required to pay for yearly updates to the map data.
Hopefully BMW will have the technology soon to support/allow iDrive navigation OS upgrade and map updates Over the Air (OTA) or via satellite (remotely) for free. Similar to the Palm Pre that allows OTA software updates whereby the Apple iPhone requires iTunes download/install and plugin iPhone. Less trips to the dealership/service is much prefered, IMHO.
__________________
_______________
2000 740iL Space Gray - Sold
2003 745Li Titanium Silver - Sold
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:56 AM
hayden's Avatar
hayden hayden is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 718
Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
Hopefully BMW will have the technology soon to support/allow iDrive navigation OS upgrade and map updates Over the Air (OTA) or via satellite (remotely) for free. Similar to the Palm Pre that allows OTA software updates whereby the Apple iPhone requires iTunes download/install and plugin iPhone. Less trips to the dealership/service is much prefered, IMHO.
Actually the iPhone has allowed OTA purchase and updates of applications for some time... but not a full OS update (approx. 200 MB download)

I can't imagine we are anywhere close to an OTA nav update, since the map updates are several GB. (I think its an entire reload, vs. only the "updates")
__________________
ED Vehicle: 2009 F02 750Li | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Nappa Leather | Fineline Matte Wood Trim
ED Tour: Aug 25th - Sep 9th 2009. (Itinerary | Trip Report | Route Map).
ED Progress: Welt Delivery Aug 27th; Drop off at Paris Sep 8th; Redelivery October 30th.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2009, 04:49 AM
pepsicola47 pepsicola47 is offline
Registered User
Location: Melbourne
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 330i
I don't think you can buy the map disc.
Dealership will be given a master map to load it into customer cars.
And more than likely this map will leak out and you will probably be able to find it somewhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 AM
asaseaban's Avatar
asaseaban asaseaban is offline
Y ask y? Ask y not!
Location: DMV
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicola47 View Post
I don't think you can buy the map disc.
Dealership will be given a master map to load it into customer cars.
And more than likely this map will leak out and you will probably be able to find it somewhere else.
X5world.com and bimmernav.com usually post .iso or .img files of NAV OS upgrade and map updates on their site that registered users can download for DIY customization and installation. Also people with friends in the service and parts department have manage to get copy of the master CD/DVD.
__________________
_______________
2000 740iL Space Gray - Sold
2003 745Li Titanium Silver - Sold
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 AM
asaseaban's Avatar
asaseaban asaseaban is offline
Y ask y? Ask y not!
Location: DMV
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 576
Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden View Post
Actually the iPhone has allowed OTA purchase and updates of applications for some time... but not a full OS update (approx. 200 MB download)

I can't imagine we are anywhere close to an OTA nav update, since the map updates are several GB. (I think its an entire reload, vs. only the "updates")
Palm has managed to keep the WebOS updates and upgrade below 100MB. An 85MB WebOS upgrade normally takes about 5-10 minutes to download and install. We'll see if the OTA updates/upgrades continue should the updates/upgrade file exceed 100MB...like the iPhone.

BMW is not that far away from OTA map updates. They already have the capability to upload car service information due/status to a dealership to see what service is/are needed. In addition, they have BMW Assist Safety & Convenience Services , and BMW Connected Drive. These are all services that are able to send and receive data wirelessly or OTA. BMW can improve and expand services like BMW Connected Drive (which is internet access in your car) to support OTA map updates. Furthermore, instead of doing a full blown new map upgrade, they can do an update which normally requires adding new images, database, etc to NAV System.
__________________
_______________
2000 740iL Space Gray - Sold
2003 745Li Titanium Silver - Sold
2009 750Li Mineral White - Sold
2009 750Li Titanium Silver
2011 xDrive35d Vermilion Red - Sold
2012 xDrive35d Vermilion Red

Last edited by asaseaban; 08-20-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
zfn8 zfn8 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iA
Talking Updating your navigation system

Greetings,
For those of you who are considering updating your navigation system you will need the code that unlocks your system, I was looking through all the paperwork they bury you with when you purchase the car and found that that particular code was provided to me by the dealer included with the purchasing documents :so check your paperwork first before attempting to purchase it from the dealer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 PM
bimwad bimwad is offline
Registered User
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
I have done the map update on my 2010 X5 this past week for considerably less than the dealer price. I am planning on picking up a 2009 750i this weekend. If I go through with the deal, I will try to update the map myself and will report back if it is successful. My cost was under $55 for the 2013 NA Premium update. It did require a lot of time to download the update but the process of loading it into the car takes about an hour. More details by Tuesday next week....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 AM
faisal_sid faisal_sid is offline
Faisal's Profile
Location: UAE
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: BMW 530
NAV Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimwad View Post
I have done the map update on my 2010 X5 this past week for considerably less than the dealer price. I am planning on picking up a 2009 750i this weekend. If I go through with the deal, I will try to update the map myself and will report back if it is successful. My cost was under $55 for the 2013 NA Premium update. It did require a lot of time to download the update but the process of loading it into the car takes about an hour. More details by Tuesday next week....
Let us know how it went through, would love to get it done the DIY way. any such method available for the software update?
__________________
1999 540 - Sold
2005 530 - Sold
2009 750
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
bimwad bimwad is offline
Registered User
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
coco135's Avatar
coco135 coco135 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los angeles
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 233
Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimwad View Post
Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..
General rule is that only cars built after 9/2009 can do it via usb. mine is 6/2009 and it worked as well as other members with build early as 4/2009 all about luck i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Bimmer750LI's Avatar
Bimmer750LI Bimmer750LI is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Reston
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 291
Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimwad View Post
Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..
I have a 3/09 build and had no problem with the upgrade. Make sure you're using the usb connection in the glove box not the center console.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
bimwad bimwad is offline
Registered User
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
Hi guys, I am using the glovebox port but it is just on working... I will plug the stick into the X5 to make sure it is still functioning in the car..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Peoplez96 Peoplez96 is offline
Registered User
Location: South Carolina
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Nav Update

Does anyone have the DVD disc to do the updates. I have 6/2009 build but the USB drive in glove box will not recognize the drive. I contacted my local dealer to buy the discs as I already have a code. The dealer wants $185 just for the DVDs.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
rajeek's Avatar
rajeek rajeek is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The Ghetto
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,853
Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoplez96 View Post
Does anyone have the DVD disc to do the updates. I have 6/2009 build but the USB drive in glove box will not recognize the drive. I contacted my local dealer to buy the discs as I already have a code. The dealer wants $185 just for the DVDs.
Try www.getbmwparts.com
__________________

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms