Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
engine faultering on 528e???

Hi guys, I have a 1985 528e with 274k miles on it. Everything works fine and it runs great except it has a rhythmic slowing of the engine.
I can explain it like this: it feels like if you were riding a bike with a slightly bent rim and the brakes drag with every revolution of the tire. It does it at idle a bit but is more pronounced when accelerating but is still rhythmic.
I'm guessing it's some type of module that needs replaced??
Thanks in advance
JZ
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Bavarian Moterwerks JAH!

Mein Auto: 1983 528E
Question typical checks

Number 1 Fuel, Number 2 Spark, Number 3 Air Flow! After that start tracking down your own suspicions, be that as it may what does your tach read? Have you cleaned the intake? what kind of routine mait have you done? Almost sounds like bad plug wires but it could be anything...

83/7 production Graphite Metallic 528e
Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Since you have had it this long I'm hoping that you have replaced the ignition components on every "inspection" or every 60,000 miles. The following should be changed: Ignition cap, rotor, spark plugs and if you are on the original plug wires change them also. Just don't get Bosch! Stick to Beru/OEM if possible. What about your oxygen sensor?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Thanks guys, I only had the car since March but the previous owner did all the scheduled maintenance since day 1 and I have all the records. I'll look thru those to see when the ignition stuff was changed last.
I have been using Lucas fuel injector treatment which seems a bit thick and oily. I'm wondering if that half fouled the plugs?
Thanks again
JZ
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
Check for vacuum leak(s). Spray carburetor cleaner around hoses and TB 'snorkle' (large rubber boot) and listen for change in idle (increases or change). I had a similar problem and I found that as I drove the problem got worse. Car eventually would not go very fast and noise got louder. Big tear in my 'snorkle' boot. Good luck!

BTW- Was this problem present when you first got the car or after you added the fuel injector cleaner or after you worked on something else?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM

I checked the service records, the cap, rotor, plugs etc. were replaced in 2003 and 30k miles ago.
I noticed the surge slightly when I first got it but it has since gotten worse. It seems to be worse when the engine is hot. Which leads me to think - air leak.
It's not too noticeable when cruising but very prominant under power.
The kids will be back in school in a couple weeks and I will have time to really dig into it.
All suggestions are appreciated and welcome - thanks guys.
JZ
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Bavarian Moterwerks JAH!

Mein Auto: 1983 528E
Smile Hmmmm

Is this an auto trans? Or stick shift? Anyways, it could be many things 02 sensor located in manifold, fuel system? relay filter or pump, make sure if you do the carb cleaner thing down the intake it says safe for 02 sensors on the can. Could be poor injectors. Try running a tank of high grade gas, check your air filter, buy some vacuum hose and just start plugging away at it. improper plugs(don't use Bosch platinum they foul up Bosch WR 9LS) improper plug gap can cause stuff like that. Do you have the distributor cover on? the black plastic thing. I hear it on good authority that it can foul with the timing. It could many things The computer under the glove box provides all the info it sets timing and adjust fuel ratio's too, it may have gone bad. Or have wrong voltage etc..keep on hunting. If all all else fails get a BMW tech to do an asesment then do the work your self hehehe!

83/7 production Graphite Metallic 528e

Last edited by Slaytanic_666; 08-19-2009 at 10:56 PM.