Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Pro/Con 2009 750Li

I recently purchased another 750Li (2009) and was frustrated with the lack of details available dealing with the specific features offered. I thought a thread on the Pros and Cons by devotees (as opposed to non-owners) of BMW 750s would be beneficial:

Pros/Pluses
1) The car drives incredibly. Great acceleration and handling. Except in comfort mode, very little lag. Love the ability to select a comfort/normal/sport mode. The 2009 is significantly more responsive than the 2006.
2) The iDrive software (except as noted here) is much faster cleaner and easier to use. Being connected to the traffic service allows me to minimize the time sitting in road construction or accident traffic slow downs.
3) The blind spot system is great. One of my primary complaints about the 2006 was that I had 2 significant blind spots.
4) The Parking control cameras with object detection is superb. Very easy to back into parallel parking space or easily exit parking garage. Love the guides!
5) The iPhone installed adapter really does boost reception. I used to drop call after call. Now I have excellent reception in most areas. It is fabulous to be able to select any playlist from my iPhone. People on the other end of calls can actually understand me and/or the passenger when we use speakerphone!
6) Love the driver graphics. Elegant, efficient and stylish. Very advanced cockpit feeling.
7) The Memory buttons are an incredible innovation. Being able to simply program multiple steps (Radio stations, destinations, iDrive selections) with the push of 1 button is innovative and brilliant.
8) The steering wheel selector of CD/USB/Radio devices is easy and intuitive. Nice to push a button on steering wheel w/ thumb and have all local radio station readily available.
9) Voice commands are much better though I have yet to memorize/master the system.
I will continue to update list if warranted.

Surprises/Cons on the new 7 series:
1) No telephone keypad! For those who call their voicemail from their car (or dial without address books) the iDrive system to dial a phone call is much more difficult/dangerous than the recent pullout key pad. Not sure why it didnít make the cut again. ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO CHAIN ACCESS CODES FOR 3RD PARTY VOICEMAIL WITHOUT USING THE IDRIVE OR IPHONE KEYPAD?
2) Navigation system data limited. Local schools and high schools are not listed in new (TeleAtlas) navigation system. One of the primary destinations we used in the old Nav system was the location of schools (kids sports can take you to schools and parks you never knew existeD). For some reason the supplier has only provided colleges and no local high schools or elementary schools in the download. This must be fixed quickly!!! I urge everyone to encourage a new free release/update!
3) Dark floor mats with light upholstery was only an option w/ Individual package. Individual package was not available until 2010, and BMW was not quoting prices or taking orders. Ordered light floor mats which show dirt every time you enter car. Have purchase black mats which donít quite work (and were cut for the previous model so donít fit precisely). Still better than constantly dirty floor mats.
4) Gas tank smaller. My 2006 use to travel nearly 500 mi per tank. With 3 or 4 gallons less, my 2009 goes about 400 miles.
5) Miss the real estate on the console permitted w/ the transmission selector on the drive shaft. Less console storage space available now.
I will add other surprises as I come upon them.
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Good list, thanks! Glad to have another owner. There are several owners around that just haven't received their cars yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsince76 View Post
Individual package was not available until 2010, and BMW was not quoting prices or taking orders.
Who told you that? Dealers have been taking orders on 2009 Individuals for months. Someone just picked up an ED Individual a few weeks ago. Ofcourse they will all be 2010's after August.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Good review. I didn't know the tank was smaller though. Shame I love the capacity in my 06.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: E84
Thanks. Smaller gas tank is a real bummer. I am only reasonably happy with the range of my '08.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
Thanks. Smaller gas tank is a real bummer.
Tank size went from 23.3 gal to 21.7 gal.

The 21.7 is more inline with its competitors.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: '11 135i DCT
Okay so compared to the 2006 E65 we had before here are some things I've noticed:

Pros:
-the new idrive is awesome.
-love how u dont have to push the door handle in anymore to lock it with comfort access, u just touch the handle like on my e90
-love the ipod integration.
- 450lb ft at 1800RPM
- active steering and 4 wheel steering
-back-uo cam, its even great at night!
-love the gauges and the functionality of the second screen in the IP
-HUD is awesome
-the interior quality is much nicer.
-power trunk is MUCH quieter
-love the design of the door handles and how u pull the handle and the keyhole remains
-all of the lights... side, front, rear... all awesome
-the E65 was a pain in the ass in a parking lot, my full sized Range Rover was better in a parking lot than our E65. The F01 feels like my E90 in a parking lot, nimble and painless.
-love the "hot buttons"
- <3 ceramic trim
-<3 ash grain wood
- the ventilated seats are much quieter and work much better
-i could list the pros forever but most of u know what they are... it may seem like my con list is long in comparison but they are just the things ive noticed.

Cons:
- im not sure if its just because the car is so new but i cant stop the thing smoothly. i always end up making it buck
- the ride, even in sport, is still too floaty for my taste. IMO the E65 had a great ride and maybe it was because it had 21" wheels on it but I prefered the ride in that car to the new one, i like to feel the road when i drive, even if im driving a "luxury barge" the E38 and E65 managed to make it work so i dont know what happened on the F01
-when stopped and in Drive the car tends to shudder. my E90 335 does it so im not sure if its just the nature of a turbo engine but it does it and our old E65 with its NA engine didnt
- the often discussed throttle calibration issue
- i would have preferred a more durable leather on the console, i can already tell its going to be TOTALLY shot. but i guess thats what the warranty is for.
-there was A LOT more interior storage in the E65
-slightly smaller trunk
-[stupid but...] the key is HUGE
-the E65 never rattled after 3 years and 42000 miles and i already hear a slight rattle coming from the driver side window with 150 miles on the car.
-[weird but...] anyone think the signal stalk has a little too much travel? its like u have to move ur hand off where [at least i do] ur holding the wheel to signal whereas in every other BMW [and Range Rover] weve had u didnt have to.
-i wish the phone cradle was removable. i didnt order 6NF for a reason and to have it take up 50% of my console is annoying,

ill edit as i think of more

But OP I agree with pros 1,2,4, and 7.
and Cons: 1 and five
Old 08-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsince76 View Post
No telephone keypad! For those who call their voicemail from their car (or dial without address books) the iDrive system to dial a phone call is much more difficult/dangerous than the recent pullout key pad. Not sure why it didnít make the cut again. ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO CHAIN ACCESS CODES FOR 3RD PARTY VOICEMAIL WITHOUT USING THE IDRIVE OR IPHONE KEYPAD?
Must be annoying. To dial try the voice activation. For voicemail access you may have to get the phone out and use the keypad on the phone itself.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 535, SL600
Put protectant seal on the light mats. It will make a world of diffrence.

Great write up.

2007 750LI (gone but not forgotten)
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: E84
Forgot to add that I like lighter seats with dark floors. I have the cream beige on my '08. I really like the natural brown /black floor combo on the 5 series. Wish they had it for the 7.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 745
okay I wish I had the conveniences package these doors just don't close well on there own. I also hate the skinny steering wheel. My wife's 5 series has a much thicker wheel. I have it a little less than one month and only 500 miles so far.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterddd View Post
okay I wish I had the conveniences package these doors just don't close well on there own. I also hate the skinny steering wheel. My wife's 5 series has a much thicker wheel. I have it a little less than one month and only 500 miles so far.
I did notice the steering wheel being thinner than the last couple BMWs I've owned, too.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
2009 750 Li Door Rattles

I got it 3 weeks ago and the door on the driver side rattles. Actually it makes my head go crazy as it feels next to my left ear. I did not expect this kind of junk for 100K.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
7 Addict.

Mein Auto: Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMNJ View Post
I got it 3 weeks ago and the door on the driver side rattles. Actually it makes my head go crazy as it feels next to my left ear. I did not expect this kind of junk for 100K.
you're not the first to say that. ive read that rattle might be coming from the seat belt tensioner not the door. If i find the link i will post it.

2012 X6 ///M Sapphire Black
2007 Alpina B7 - Alpina Blau II/Creme (Sold)
2004 X5 4.4i - Toledo Blue/Grey (Sold)
1994 300ZX TT - Black/Black