Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Metric Mechanic

Mein Auto: Polly(My '87 track ****)
Brace

Would this work, never seen it before. Since my E30 is a 4dr I thought it would make it better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STRUT...Q5fAccessories
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
This product sketches me out for several reasons:

1. It's supposed to fit all these models "E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E49 E90"
2. It's adjustable.
3. Their company banner features a Mitsubishi mirage with lambo doors and 20"s (hence mirage power)
4. Their slogan is "driving like without the speed limited"

If I were you I would just get strut tower braces.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy08 View Post
This product sketches me out for several reasons:

1. It's supposed to fit all these models "E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E49 E90"
2. It's adjustable.
3. Their company banner features a Mitsubishi mirage with lambo doors and 20"s (hence mirage power)
4. Their slogan is "driving like without the speed limited"

If I were you I would just get strut tower braces.
agreed. it has rice written all over it. if it serves a real purpose it wouldnt be all chrome and shiny. and it would be under the car. and it would be closer to where the struts actually are.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Metric Mechanic

The center adjusts to the size, I thought since my car is a 4dr it would suit this item best because of the back doors. And the color is blue, pictured shiny rice for some reason.

It does not matter on the car, all of them have a center hump(even if fwd), so I think it would be dandy. It can be sanded and repainted, I just thought for the price it would function well.

Anyways I found a pipe bender...maybe I can get it cheap so I don't have to pay to get my exhaust bent up. I could also fab this wicked easy, without the adjuster it might be stronger
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Waste of your money. But, it's your money.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post
Waste of your money. But, it's your money.
+1
  1. Bracing between the B pillars (seat belt anchor area) will serve you better, and is more widely accepted by the ricers (don't know if this is a good or bad thing).
  2. The adjustable middle section effectively negates any stiffness gained by installing the bar
Old 08-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Metric Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
+1
  1. Bracing between the B pillars (seat belt anchor area) will serve you better, and is more widely accepted by the ricers (don't know if this is a good or bad thing).
  2. The adjustable middle section effectively negates any stiffness gained by installing the bar
1. Ricers type cars do mainly drifting, so therefore it will be a good idea for my track weekend in two weeks.

2. I am going to make my own out of spare tubing that I have laying around. That will be custom fit and MUCH stronger. I shall make it and give a nice amount of info on how it handles.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 F34R View Post
1. Ricers type cars do mainly drifting, so therefore it will be a good idea for my track weekend in two weeks.

2. I am going to make my own out of spare tubing that I have laying around. That will be custom fit and MUCH stronger. I shall make it and give a nice amount of info on how it handles.
Not to labor the topic, but how does torsional stiffness effect drifting? The use convertibles, yeah? Also, why was that location for the brace chosen? Any data to support the choice of location?
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Metric Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Not to labor the topic, but how does torsional stiffness effect drifting? The use convertibles, yeah? Also, why was that location for the brace chosen? Any data to support the choice of location?
I am not drifting for one, and second I am just looking to make it really stiff.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
just get it then man its like only $40 bucks and you can tell us if it works.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
seems like a waste, I have front and rear strut bars and they don't make any noticeable difference they just look kinda cool. If you don' track the car you would never notice a difference even if it did work. All its doing is adding more weight to your car, If you want better handling just do a bunch of weight reduction, springs/shocks and call it a day, you can pretty easily remove over 200lbs.

19psi turbo M20
Flared,Alpina,Turbo goodness
Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Metric Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamotors View Post
seems like a waste, I have front and rear strut bars and they don't make any noticeable difference they just look kinda cool. If you don' track the car you would never notice a difference even if it did work. All its doing is adding more weight to your car, If you want better handling just do a bunch of weight reduction, springs/shocks and call it a day, you can pretty easily remove over 200lbs.
I go to the track every two weeks. I am going to join SCCA, so the suspension is better than HP at the moment. They are tiny mid speed turns. If I reduce too much I get in a higher class, meaning I don't have the BHP to compete with them yet. WRX STI are too fast right now for me to be in a SM class (stock mod) I am not in a ST (stock touring) class.

So to your last statement I am making a track sl*t, and I am the