Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i bmw
2001 bmw 325i overheating

I need help trouble shooting my 2001 BMW 325i overheating problem. I changed the water pump a year ago, I just changed the thermostat, I bleed the system many times. I called the BMW dealership, their tech told me how to bleed it correctly. My car is still heating up, i also have no heat coming out when i have it in full heat and the temperature of the car comes up. It just blows at outside temperature. The fan is working correctly. Both hoses from the thermostat get stiff when the car's temp. goes up. My radiator is completely cold when my car temp. is up. Is there any way i can troubleshoot this problem or is there any help that anyone can give me to troubleshoot it, so that i dont rack up a huge bill as i already have spent a lot. Should i be looking at the heater core since im not getting any heat coming out when i have the heater on full blast.? would the heater core make my vehicle heat up? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by airmanjun10; 08-22-2008 at 11:06 AM.
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Honestly I don't think your water pump is working, of both the heater core AND the radiator are stone cold while the engine is hot. No circulation of the hot coolant at all, is what it sounds like.

Maybe you have multiple clogs in the water channels in the engine block? I kind of doubt this though.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by numindast View Post
Honestly I don't think your water pump is working, of both the heater core AND the radiator are stone cold while the engine is hot. No circulation of the hot coolant at all, is what it sounds like.

Maybe you have multiple clogs in the water channels in the engine block? I kind of doubt this though.
OR the thermostat never opens, which can cause the same issue. Did you replace that too?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
Would the thermostat block natural flow through the heater core, too? When my pump failed in my Jetta, I cranked up the cabin heater to max to bring the engine temp down .. and boy, let me tell ya, it was blowing HOT, stone cold at the radiator though. Hmm maybe you're onto something.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Bmw 530i
The only problem you have is AIR AIR AIR,just what the dealer told you,that is the only problem 100%
BLEED the system correctly and thats it,when there is no hot air coming from inside the car you have air in your system.
I had the same EXACT problem my friend and AIR was cosing it.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i bmw
I have a 2001 bmw 325i but I also had a 1993 bmw 325 I there is heater core valve assembly attached to the bottom driver side in the 1993 I had the same issues with it and after I replace the heater core valve assembly it ran fine. I am not sure if the 2001 has the same set up I just bought it friday.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak325 View Post
I have a 2001 bmw 325i but I also had a 1993 bmw 325 I there is heater core valve assembly attached to the bottom driver side in the 1993 I had the same issues with it and after I replace the heater core valve assembly it ran fine. I am not sure if the 2001 has the same set up I just bought it friday.
This thread is over 1 year old. Probably fixed it by now.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....