Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
X Questions

We are giving our old Quest to the brother in-law and will be needing a new truckster(maybe I can even get my Cic back from the Missus).Have been searching(internet so far)for a CPO X5. Some questions before We check some in the "flesh".Is the sport suspension as harsh as the old road tests implied?Is the load area tall enogh for a garbage can?Relativly easy seat folding?Were than more than 3 or 4 made in something other than Silver or Black? These and any other tidbits/anecdotes would be welcome
Old 07-20-2003, 08:10 AM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
I haven't tried the garbage can, but the seats are real easy to fold, and you don't have to remove the headrests. Mine is steel gray, but before 2002 there weren't very many. There were more than a few Pearl Beige X5's built, (not my favorite color). There were quite a few white ones also.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
We have the "base" suspension, and it is pretty firm (but I wouldn't call it harsh). Test drive an X5 with the Sport and see if you can tolerate it.

The seats fold easily. How tall is your garbage can? I can measure it for you?

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:27 AM
Is it litre or liter?

Mein Auto: 02 325i/ 03 X5 3.0 5sp
I have a steel grey X5, which is what you get when you mix silver and black, I guess.

The back seats fold nice and easy, but they are not quite flat if this is an absolute necessity.

As for your height question, yeah, we could tell you if you let us know how tall the object in question is. Why do you want to haul a trash can around?

I have the sports suspension. It is a little jouncy. My wife and I like it, because it handles so well. YMMV.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Astigmatic Visionary

I'm not looking to haul garbage around,I was just using it as a relatively generic height unit(my wife finds many bulky "treasures"to bring home).We like firm but when the X5 first came out the testers seemed suprised at just how hard the sport was.We will be driving & checking out in person ASAP but I've been stuck on call for 2 weeks with another to go and can't get near one until then.We will probably have to go 80 miles,south to Palm beach or north to Orlando. I was semi joking about colors it just seems like 90+% of the listings are silver or black,would love to find Steel orm Topaz to match our Cabrio. Thanks for the input!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Is it litre or liter?

Mein Auto: 02 325i/ 03 X5 3.0 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke
I'm not looking to haul garbage around,I was just using it as a relatively generic height unit(my wife finds many bulky "treasures"to bring home).We like firm but when the X5 first came out the testers seemed suprised at just how hard the sport was.We will be driving & checking out in person ASAP but I've been stuck on call for 2 weeks with another to go and can't get near one until then.We will probably have to go 80 miles,south to Palm beach or north to Orlando. I was semi joking about colors it just seems like 90+% of the listings are silver or black,would love to find Steel orm Topaz to match our Cabrio. Thanks for the input!
FWIW, I find the 3'er sports suspension too soft. OTOH, I think the x5 sport is somewhat jouncy over rough pavement. Maybe the standard suspension with lower profile wheels is what would suit you? I think most of the roll on corners on the X is due to sidewall flex, even with 18" wheels. I am wondering if 19"'s would be better...
Old 07-21-2003, 11:33 AM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
I have the base suspension, and think it is just perfect. The sport suspension felt fine, too, but I dropped that idea because I want better snow handling. "Harsh" is too subjective - I think it depends on what you are coming from. I came from a 4Runner, so the ride is so much quieter and smoother it's great. If you were previously driving a Cadillac, it would be a very big adjustment. I've not driven a Quest, so I can't tell you.

I have brought home two trash cans from Home Depot, along with other oddly sized "treasures," including an end table, a small chair and several bushes from the garden center. I've also transported a pretty good sized yellow lab, and he could stand up in the back without hitting his head. The table, chair, bushes and dog required the back seats to be down.

Personally, I just love my X5, even though originally I was afraid to even go test it. I thought it would be too "nice", too "not me". Once in it, I had to have it - it is just a perfect fit. If your wife is bringing home dirt and plywood, it isn't going to be the best , but if she's like me (groceries, dogs to vet, craft projects, garden projects, weird things that break in the house and need to be taken in to be repaired, seats for a couple of co-workers to go to lunch) then it'll probably make her happy. Someone will probably soon hijack this thread into a 3 or 5 series wagon vs. X5 debate, but I wanted a SUV and the X5 has fit my needs.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 07-21-2003, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 & E46 Coupe
Stay away from SP package if you want soft ride. But, it definatly improves handling, comes with better seat and other goodies.

Seat folds down nicely but there's trunk cover thing that you have to remove every time.

With seat up, three M3 wheels. Two stacked and one on the side standing up...
With seat down, you can fit 4 24x24x24 boxes... Didn't have space to stack two on top and didn't have space to put tree in a row.
I must be the only one with problem with cargo space on this forum. It's very limited. But, my last car was Chevy Tahoe...
Old 07-21-2003, 12:45 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk73
Seat folds down nicely but there's trunk cover thing that you have to remove every time.
Man, I took that thing out and stacked in the corner of my garage the first night. Does it serve any real purpose for anyone?

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 07-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Thanks to all.hsk & suzer give me the size range best,should do the job.Suzer your description of wants and usage is basically exactly hers except that on vet/whatever trips our 2 Springers and Pomeranian ride in front with us(yes absurd).Does anyone know if the 2002 Nav was CD or DVD?