Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 X3
New X3 Owner with some Issues...long...

Hi All,

Well I've been thinking that it was time to retire my '02 325XiT with 145,000 miles on it and decided to jump into something new. After seeing the .9% BMW financing deal I looked into a 2009 X3. Unfortunately, as it was July 25 it was too late to special order and the dealer located a really nice 6/09 build space gray metallic w/black interior, sport pkg w/19" wheels, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, nav., & privacy glass - very sweet.
So we added some accessories including CD changer, mats, clear bra and alarm system and worked up a nice deal. No need to continue talking to Infiniti on the second choice EX35.

Well, due to some vacation time, I wasn't able to take delivery until 8/12. Upon pick up was told that they couldn't place the CD changer in the cargo area next to the nav...they said they tried with a longer cable but it was too short....hmmm?? Ok, so I lose the arm rest storage despite the sales guy confirming twice that they could install it in the rear.
Next I'm told that they couldn't install the alarm system because of difficulty finding cables and were waiting for BMW NA to advise on the situation. Ok...no big deal, I'm sure they'll get direction, resolve it in the next week and I'll come back for the alarm.

Get home and test the rear seat heaters - seems like power is there but they won't stay on. Check the aux in port...right channel only ....arrrghh! I suspect they pinched/disengaged the cable or plug to those items when doing the CD install (changer looks backwards from the accessory catalog photo). Also, the key/car programming was not done fully per my request either. Ok...made an appointment for tomorrow. Should be fairly straight forward to fix these I hope.

The really big issue however, is that after prompting my sales guy for 2 weeks, he finally informs me on 8/26 that BMW NA has confirmed there is no alarm prewiring in my vehicle and there is no way to install a BMW OEM alarm nor is there anyway to activate the clown nose to pretend like one is installed....SAY WHAT???? YIKES! NOT GOOD!!!

So I've requested a meeting with the dealer GM to discuss options. It is really unfortunate because despite really liking the vehicle, I worked up a sales contract for and paid for a vehicle with an OEM alarm. Had I known this, I would have either waited and ordered a 2010 or gone with EX35. I honestly do not want to go aftermarket but am not sure there is a choice and I don't know if I can force them to replace the vehicle for one that has an alarm (ie order from the factory now). After speaking with the GM I still intend to talk to BMW NA personally about this incredible oversight.

For those that have stayed with me this long....has anyone with a post 3/09 build, successfully gotten the clown nose light up when the vehicle is locked? If so, how is it done? Any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolland Mark View Post
... Ok, so I lose the arm rest storage despite the sales guy confirming twice that they could install it in the rear.
Next I'm told that they couldn't install the alarm system because of difficulty finding cables and were waiting for BMW NA to advise on the situation. Ok...no big deal, I'm sure they'll get direction, resolve it in the next week and I'll come back for the alarm.

...The really big issue however, is that after prompting my sales guy for 2 weeks, he finally informs me on 8/26 that BMW NA has confirmed there is no alarm prewiring in my vehicle and there is no way to install a BMW OEM alarm nor is there anyway to activate the clown nose to pretend like one is installed....SAY WHAT???? YIKES! NOT GOOD!!!

There is something wrong, or at least incomplete, with this story. I know something about the alarms, so I'll tackle that part...

Prior to mid-'09, the X3s sold in the US had alarm pre-wiring and the alarm itself was a dealer installed option. One could do it one's self, but it then needed to be "programmed". In mid-'09 this switched to factory-installed Option 302 "anti-theft alarm system". You shoud ask two specific questions:
  1. Does this car have Option 302?
  2. If not, do all X3s in the US without the option still come with the pre-wiring?
Let us know what answers you get and then we can judge whether you are being told the "facts".
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
There is something wrong, or at least incomplete, with this story. I know something about the alarms, so I'll tackle that part...

Prior to mid-'09, the X3s sold in the US had alarm pre-wiring and the alarm itself was a dealer installed option. One could do it one's self, but it then needed to be "programmed". In mid-'09 this switched to factory-installed Option 302 "anti-theft alarm system". You shoud ask two specific questions:
  1. Does this car have Option 302?
  2. If not, do all X3s in the US without the option still come with the pre-wiring?
Let us know what answers you get and then we can judge whether you are being told the "facts".
Thanks for your input.

I have confirmed not Option 302 shown on either the locator sheet nor the window sticker.

In my research on this topic, it appears that if the factory alarm is not installed there is not prewiring. This apparently is a BMW NA decision and is affecting 1 series, 3 series , M3 and X3. Not sure about the others but it appears that a number of people are in the same boat I am and are not too happy about it either. see this link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=alarm

Once I meet with the GM I will contact BMW NA to confirm this formally and get the latest from them, in writing, as to what they plan on doing about it.

I talked with my service advisor when dropping off the car this am. He is familiar with activting the clown nose on earlier BMWs w/o the alarm and is going to try to set me up that way too. This would go a long way in mitigating the problem at least temporarily until BMW NA/AG come up with a real solution. I'll let you know the result.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3 (MT)
Probably no help but the clown nose on my 2009 (09/08 build date) flashes.

Haven't tried an alarm install.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 PM

Thanks...The more info and experience with this the better! I'll add you to the pre 3/09 no alarm blinkin' clown nose list.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
Probably no help but the clown nose on my 2009 (09/08 build date) flashes.

Haven't tried an alarm install.
My SA just advised that his forman said the clown nose flashing cannot be done with out an alarm...arrggh! Can you give me any details on how yours got done? If not, can you give me the contact info for the service person you dealt with on this?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Bleed blue and white

Send a message via Yahoo to T1T2GRE
Mein Auto: 2011 1 Series M Coupe
Mmmmm. Isn't the "alarm" just a glorified noisemaker?

I got it on my '07 but not on my '09. There's coded driveaway protection and if I am not mistaken the cars can be tracked as well. I think the only pragmatic application for the alarm is the acute setting in which some butthead is doing a smash 'n' grab for items in plain view.

Depends on why you need the alarm.