Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 PM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
People with Aluminum running boards

Hello~

For those who've got their OEM Aluminum running boards installed after you got the car, how much did it cost you? (including shipping, installation, taxes, etc)

If the price is similar, would you go for M sport side skirts or Aluminum running boards?

And could you post pics of your running boards if you have one?
I've tried searching the forum, and didn't find large enough pics with running boards installed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: BMW X3
My running boards were installed from the factory. Here is a picture of the OEM running boards.

My opinion on the running boards - They are helpful in reaching the roof to secure our kayaks to the roof rack. They are not helpful for entering and exiting the SAV. They only serve to get your pant leg dirty in most instances. But, I do think they add to the look of the car and would get them again.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAV running board.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	199868  
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:34 AM
jaldeborgh jaldeborgh is offline
Registered User
Location: Boxford, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: X3
I for one love the look of the running boards. Are they available as an aftermarket add on?
__________________
John

2007 X3 3.0si - Wife's Car
2004 X3 2.5i - Daughter's Car
2003 K1200RS - Dad's Toy
2001 750 iL - Retired by me in 2005 - Great Car but wanted AWD
1995 750 iL - Retired by me in 2002 - Great Car
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 AM
cubed cubed is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: bronx, ny
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 660
Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
I love the way they look and would use them to mount my bike rack and the bikes if I had them. However -- and its a big however in my book -- I already get my pant legs dirty on the standard sill as I exit the car. The extra clearance needed to exit the car would simply be madenning to me. so I`ll enjoy looking at them on your car and keep my plain jane X3 as is...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:30 AM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_macaroni View Post
My running boards were installed from the factory. Here is a picture of the OEM running boards.

My opinion on the running boards - They are helpful in reaching the roof to secure our kayaks to the roof rack. They are not helpful for entering and exiting the SAV. They only serve to get your pant leg dirty in most instances. But, I do think they add to the look of the car and would get them again.

Good luck
Looks great.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaldeborgh View Post
I for one love the look of the running boards. Are they available as an aftermarket add on?
I found one that looks about 60% similar to OEM running board on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/E83-X3-Aluminum-S...d=p3286.c0.m14

It just bolts on your standard side skirts, but it doesn't look right for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:34 AM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
I love the way they look and would use them to mount my bike rack and the bikes if I had them. However -- and its a big however in my book -- I already get my pant legs dirty on the standard sill as I exit the car. The extra clearance needed to exit the car would simply be madenning to me. so I`ll enjoy looking at them on your car and keep my plain jane X3 as is...
Same here, getting my legs dirty with stock side skirts.
However, I'm more of a look > functionality guy. OEM Aluminum running board just looks good.

Anyone who've got it installed after they got the car?
I need some price range information. Thx.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
al_macaroni al_macaroni is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DE
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 330
Mein Auto: BMW X3
OE part # 51710305705

You can try looking at some of the forum sponsors using the link at the top of the page to seach the part number and get some pricing information.

Occasionally, the dealer where I purchased my X3 runs specials on accessory + installation price. I remember seeing the X3 running boards (installation included) as a special, but I do not remember the price.

It might be worth poking around on your local dealer's website to see if they do something similiar.
__________________
2013 535i - ED, Oct 2012 | Cashmere Silver | Oyster/Black Nappa Anthracite | ZCW | Sirius | Air Blue 80
2008 X3 | Monaco | Sand/Black Light Poplar | ZAP | ZPP | ZCW | Xenon | Rear Fog
1988 Grand Wagoneer | Burgundy | Ghost Flames | 360 ci | Holley carb

BMW CCA #422951

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 PM
jis487 jis487 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: BMW X3
I paid about 400 from the dealer (Morristown BMW). I bought it through their ebay store and picked it up (they wanted 65 or so for shipping and it was just cheaper to pick it up). There was no tax etc...since out of state.
If you do pick it up, I want to STRESS the fact that the box is big as hell. I drove the fam's X5 and the box didn't fit- so I had to take out the boxes inside the one big box and spread them out inside the car. I had to put the back seats down etc and worst, the front passenger seat had to go all the way up and I drove with a big box right down the middle (my rear view mirror was blocked ha). So if you pick it up, use a car with some good cargo space!

I would recommend checking out a close dealer and see how much they would sell it to you. Morristown was the cheapest around me- plus I was able to get it cheaper than what they were asking for originally b/c I bought other parts at the same time and worked out a combo price.

As others have said, the side skirts don't do much- they are more for aesthetics in my honest opinion. Although, it does allow me to clean the roof a lot easier. I thought it would help me enter the car like the boards on an X5 but nope- the X3 is already low enough that when you step on the boards you would have to duck and then enter the car; its not really functional for this.
It does look good though!

I too like the M skirts- the reason I didn't get it is because I would have had to paint my front and rear bumpers + wheel arches where their is black plastic ( I have a 2006)--because of that I didn't do it.
But if you are willing to do that- the M skirts are a nice option.

I don't really know how to upload pics here---so can't share pics...does anyone know what the text sequence is that i need to input to post a pic?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
jis487 jis487 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: BMW X3
hope this worked:





Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jis487 View Post
hope this worked:





Wow, it looks great!
Mine is 2006 3.0i as well in platinum silver.
Your car has my current dream set up.
(Chrome tips, Aluminum side boards. and am I seeing a hint of blacklines?)

Unfortunately, I live in Canada where BMW Canada parts price are about 1.5X to 2X price of BMW USA price. Closest BMW US dealer from me is BMW Seattle(about 2 hrs driving), and their price doesn't look great either at the moment.

Anyways, I'll look around as others have suggested.
Thanks a lot for help everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2009, 01:43 AM
new2u new2u is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jis487 View Post
I paid about 400 from the dealer (Morristown BMW). I bought it through their ebay store and picked it up (they wanted 65 or so for shipping and it was just cheaper to pick it up). There was no tax etc...since out of state.
If you do pick it up, I want to STRESS the fact that the box is big as hell. I drove the fam's X5 and the box didn't fit- so I had to take out the boxes inside the one big box and spread them out inside the car. I had to put the back seats down etc and worst, the front passenger seat had to go all the way up and I drove with a big box right down the middle (my rear view mirror was blocked ha). So if you pick it up, use a car with some good cargo space!

I would recommend checking out a close dealer and see how much they would sell it to you. Morristown was the cheapest around me- plus I was able to get it cheaper than what they were asking for originally b/c I bought other parts at the same time and worked out a combo price.

As others have said, the side skirts don't do much- they are more for aesthetics in my honest opinion. Although, it does allow me to clean the roof a lot easier. I thought it would help me enter the car like the boards on an X5 but nope- the X3 is already low enough that when you step on the boards you would have to duck and then enter the car; its not really functional for this.
It does look good though!

I too like the M skirts- the reason I didn't get it is because I would have had to paint my front and rear bumpers + wheel arches where their is black plastic ( I have a 2006)--because of that I didn't do it.
But if you are willing to do that- the M skirts are a nice option.

I don't really know how to upload pics here---so can't share pics...does anyone know what the text sequence is that i need to input to post a pic?
It looks like you've installed it yourself.
How hard is it to install? (How long did it take you?)
And did you require any special tools?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
jis487 jis487 is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2u View Post
Wow, it looks great!
Mine is 2006 3.0i as well in platinum silver.
Your car has my current dream set up.
(Chrome tips, Aluminum side boards. and am I seeing a hint of blacklines?)

Thanks. Yeah your list matches exactly what I went with. The chrome tips were one of the first things I added to the car...

As to the blacklines- only one of the pictures show the 'hint' you speak of. The other pictures were before I got the blacklines.
I actually updated a thread about the blacklines today...It was a thread I started when I was trying to see how it would look on my car, etc.
Heres the link if you are interested:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=378391

For install, yeah, my brother and I did it together...so I saved on the installation price.
It did not take too long. The first side took a little longer because we were still figuring it out etc...but the instructions that come with the boards are quite simple. After the first side, the second side was a breeze- at least half the time.
As to tools for the install, I wish I would have had a rivet removal tool that many had suggested for the install...I didn't get it and thats basically where most of my time went- trying to pry the rivets off and in. It took some brute force on some of them...but none were lost in the process-and if anything, the boards come with brand new rivets anyway.

So my recommendation: its not a bad install to do- there are instructions on here somewhere...look for it and see what you think. Just get the rivet removal tool from the dealer or something; its cheap i believe. That's just my 0.02 cents

good luck!

Last edited by jis487; 09-05-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms