Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda3
Saw a VW Tiguan today

Saw one on the road for the first time today. I must say the Tiguan is very impressive looking....
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2009, 01:47 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Nice, but not impressive, IMO
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'm not fond of VWs because of the reliability. I'd honestly be hesitant to own one for the long term. Even on a car like the Scirocco, I'd probably lease.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:29 PM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I'm not fond of VWs because of the reliability. I'd honestly be hesitant to own one for the long term. Even on a car like the Scirocco, I'd probably lease.
And you are fond of BMW's reliability? The Tiguan (and definitely the Q5) look much better than the current X5. But that's like saying a 2010 model is better than a design from the mid 90's. I'm excited to see the final version of the new X3.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmd View Post
And you are fond of BMW's reliability? The Tiguan (and definitely the Q5) look much better than the current X5. But that's like saying a 2010 model is better than a design from the mid 90's. I'm excited to see the final version of the new X3.
Hi,
In my experience the reliability of the BMW is very far ahead of VW. A very bitter experience with a Passat makes it impossible to consider a VW . Our X3 has been excellent.

Geo Allan
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Have to say I am mixed on this.
  • three prior VW's all with excellent track records, two had over 150k miles.
  • it seems that there tail lights always blow out no matter what year you get.
  • Have heard that the Tiguan already had a recall, but at least they admitted their mistake and fixed it.
  • the 2.0 tfsi is one of the most used and relaible power plants in the industry.
  • have had nothing but excellent service from VW.
  • the toureg costs a fortune to replace and fix their brakes.

So as you can see there are many pluses and minuses on both sides. Me I would have to take a wait and see, but then again I can because I am keeping this (my x3) for at least another 30k miles or 3 years, whichever comes first.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Always had excellent luck with VW in the past, there was a time a few years back when they were almost junk however. That fortunately has passed and now they seem no better or worse than anything else out there. I like the Tiguan, and if they put that excellent TDi in it would seriously consider getting it. With the complex electronics in all the cars today I think leasing is the way to go. I just can't see keeping a car for more than 5 or so years without having major electronic problems and expensive repairs. I have never leased a personal car before but I will be doing that the next time.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
I'm not fond of VWs because of the reliability.
Never had a reliability issue with VW.
My previous car was a 2001 Jetta Vr6, which I sold when I got the X3. The Vr6 is sweet and so much fun to drive. Sold it to my ex-wife last year, who just got a 07 Passat 2.0T fully loaded, and passed the Jetta to her 17 y/o son, which I taught to drive stick. It is now 130,000 miles, and I only put rear brakes, a water pump, a plug wire, and shocks. It just got the clutch replaced last week (I guess due to the mileage and the new learning driver )

I also own a 1989 Cabriolet that I restored and drive ocassionally, it has only 85k on the clock, no problems either in five years.
Then I have had a 1977 Scirocco and a same year Rabbit that I used to track, no major problems with those either.
I've had more issues with the e46 in two years, alternator, water pump, thermostat,oil level sensor, and now the CVV is whiseling...and has only 79k miles....

Pics for fun!!
The Jetta.

My son Andrés 4 years ago, he's 10 y/o now.

The Cabby:

The passenger is Moses, he's driving the Jetta now...

And back in the day.....(around 1996)

Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Everyone that I know, who has had a VW, has had issues with their cars. My uncle lemoned his 2002 Passat, I have a friend with a Touareg that's had thousands in repairs done (thank god for extended warranty, right?), and my teacher still has his 2001 Golf 1,8T that has a whole host of problems like buzzing radio, poor window seal isolation, and the periodic pond in the driver's seat due to the moonroof leaking.

Plus, VW's interior design hasn't been my taste lately, although it's slightly improving. If I lived in Germany and wanted a cheap vehicle I'd be looking at Opel instead of VW.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: Mazda3
Being a two time X3 owner, I agree with many that the build quality is excellent with the X3. But the Tiguan is considerbly less..... Prospective buyers will have to give this new commer a close look.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
Those who pine for the tiguan I think suffer from a case of "the grass is always greener"
a. I think it looks skinny and lame
b. It will never have the basic goodness baked into the E46 chassis. Never.
c. You have to go to a VW dealer for your service.
d. stay away from VAG products in their first/second year of production. Trust me on this...

other than that I really think its worth a look. But not a touch
Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Everyone that I know, who has had a VW, has had issues with their cars. .

My neighbor had a Tourag (SP?) that caught fire in his driveway earlier this summer. His wife told me he was having "electrical" problems with it. I'm thinking it was an insurance job.

how come no one here talks about the new infiniti ex35? Is it a german engineering thing? It's gotten great reviews and is a direct competitor to the X3.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Just sayin.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW_ad.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	199421  

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3, 2008 MT X3
can you imagine if vw ran that add today? talk about politically IN-correct. still a good point and funny
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubed View Post
can you imagine if vw ran that add today? talk about politically IN-correct. still a good point and funny
I know... just trying to lighten up the mood here

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

I actually saw the Tiguan for the first time last summer when I went to Germany (where their products are released ahead of the NA market). I thought it looks good and is probably a good efficient drive as well, especially with the 140PS diesel version that manages about 37 US mpg (6,4 l/100km). But like I said.....the reliability.......

Our X3 and mother's 325i are the first two German cars and the first two BMWs we've ever owned. So far, the reliability has been excellent on both. Heck, my dad's 1-year old Mazda MX-5 threw a Check Engine Light, something none of the BMWs have done.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 AM
'Fest Advisor

Mein Auto: BMWs and other fine cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Allan View Post
Hi,
In my experience the reliability of the BMW is very far ahead of VW. A very bitter experience with a Passat makes it impossible to consider a VW . Our X3 has been excellent.

Geo Allan
My experience with BMW reliability and CS has been piss poor, and that's putting it lightly. JD Power rates BMW reliability relatively low as well...but, I guess we put up with it because we like the driver feel of the car.

That's not to say VW is any better. JD Power has slammed them in quality/reliability as well. Well, they are all peas from the same German pod!

Last edited by thebmw; 09-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
Our A4 has been excellent with no issues whatsoever since its purchase in late 2005. Based on this, I would not hesitate to consider VW. The 2.0T engine gets good gas mileage although I would probably be more interested in the tdi engine.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Wow very similar layout to my 84 GTI Rabbit even the neuspeed torsion bar. However, I had alittle extra help as a good friend's Dad owned a metal shop (honed the cylinders and replaced the rings. And, the original owner was the master mechanic for VW in Philly.

Was actually thinking of buying one for fun to work on.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
how come no one here talks about the new infiniti ex35? Is it a german engineering thing? It's gotten great reviews and is a direct competitor to the X3.
I looked at the EX35 before I bought my X3 a couple of months ago. I really liked the Infiniti G35 and G37 sedans. But the EX was a disappointment. Too small, closer to a station wagon than an SUV, wouldn't hold my bicycle inside easily. (And of course the X3 has that unique interior bike rack) Handling was nowhere close to the sedan, while X3 is reasonably close to a 3 series. And no manual transmission was available in the EX, only in the sedan.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Wow very similar layout to my 84 GTI Rabbit even the neuspeed torsion bar. However, I had alittle extra help as a good friend's Dad owned a metal shop (honed the cylinders and replaced the rings. And, the original owner was the master mechanic for VW in Philly.

Was actually thinking of buying one for fun to work on.
Yeah, I bought it with that in mind. I've been working on it since 2004, started with a new vinyl top, and in the performance department, it has H&R sport springs matched to Bilstein Sport shocks and struts, Autotech race headers and exhaust, Neuspeed 268-degree sport cam and Autotech adjustable cam sprocket; then I ported the intake to throw a GTI throttle body, put the big bore intake tube and some Neuspeed plug wires. I did all my self except for the cam and sprocket.
Wheels are 15X7.5 Ronal LS (also used in Bimmers), and 205/45-15 performance summer tires, inside I put the MOMO competition steering wheel, pedals and leather shift knob. All this makes for a nice little toy that handles like a go-kart and moves around really fast .
Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I've owned many VWs and loved them all.

Prior to buying my 2006 X3, I test drove a Tiguan. My 5 minute drive was enough to convince me that I didn't want a Tiguan AT ALL. Steering was loose and sloppy, it felt a but underpowered, interior space was small (esp. the trunk), and it just felt cheap in comparison.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: X3 SE (05)
The Tiguans have been out in the UK now for well over a year. I remember the launch last Spring because my partner bought a Golf Plus (not sure if they're in NA) from a dealership and they sent us a whole load of launch publicity including photos etc. and the Tiguan did look nice. Then there was a brief TV advertising campaign, and I was tempted.

Round about the time I was thinking of changing last summer I was tempted for a while to test drive the Tiguan but thought I could get a used X3 or X5 for less than the price of a Tiguan (which would be new or 6mths old max).

In the end I thought I'd spoil myself and go for a luxury marque, ending up with my X3 which I'm delighted with. Have seen dozens of Tiguans on the road since and I don't regret my choice for one moment. They really look small in real life, and the bodywork is not sleek. If I was forced down the road of VW I'd have to go for the Toureg, which is really quite handsome and sleek (but cheap build quality inside and VERY thirsty).

Last edited by conor; 09-03-2009 at 03:33 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 09-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X3 3.0i
I just purchased my X3 a couple of months ago and I love it - the only thing that I am not crazy about are the seats, which are not very comfortables. I owned a Passat 2004 before; loved the handling of that car but it had a few gremlins (electrical) - I considered the Tiguan but those issues with the Passat made me think twice about getting another VW - so I am giving BMW a try.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: lang
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.