Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: '06 BMW X3
Question Aux Input & iPod Together?

I have had the dealer install my iPod Interface Connector for my 06 BMW X3, which I use and love everyday. But I seem to come at times requiring the use of just a standard Aux Connector.

I was going to purchase the Aux connector and install it, but I wanted to know if it is possible to have the Aux connector and iPod Interface installed simultaneously, allowing me to toggle between them.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
I do not think this is possible. I suspect that both the Aux connecter and I Pod connecter use the same plug in on the back of the BMW head unit. So its either one or the other.... If I am wrong please someone correct me!

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Sapphire Black X3 SP
Some of the after market iPod adapter systems will give you an aux input as well as the iPod. I tried the USA Spec which has an aux input in my 06 X3, and it did not work.

It's not what you do with technology; it's just the fact that you can do it.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
A quick call to service will give you the best answer. I have the factory aux and DICE iPod adapter installed. I can use either one. The aftermarket iPod adapters use the cd changer input. I think that you can have both the BMW iPod interface AND the aux input, but check with the dealer to be sure.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 04-09-2009, 04:19 AM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to install the AUX Connector along side with the iPod Connector in my Car, both of which are the factory connectors from BMW.

The iPod disables Sirius and the 6 Disc Changer; bu the Aux disables nothing. I had to remove the black connector from the back of the radio move the yellow and black power cables into my new connector as per BMW's instructions.

Both operate 100%, the only issue I have is I will need a ground loop isolator as there is a definite whine on the AUX linked to my gas pedal.

Just wanted to let everyone know that both BMW Factory connectors can be installed on the Business CD Radio in my 06 BMW X3.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Sapphire Black X3 SP
aeudian, whose iPod control system are you using?

It's not what you do with technology; it's just the fact that you can do it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:48 AM

I am using both the official BMW iPod and BMW Aux Cables to interface with my radio. I have copied and pasted the part numbers form BMW's parts website.

iPodŽ Interface Adapter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Integrates the Apple iPod into the BMW audio system and allows you to control and listen to your iPod music collection by using the vehicle's radio and steering wheel controls. Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is running. (PN: 65 11 0 035 961) (Price:$185.00)

Auxiliary Audio Input

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you can connect virtually any audio device to your factory radio. Use an MP3 Player, portable CD, cassette player and more by plugging the headphone output of your device directly into your BMW's audio system. The audio connection is mounted securely in the glovebox of your X3 and has a 3.5mm stereo connector. Audio from the auxiliary input is selected using the "mode" button on your radio. (PN: 82 11 0 149 390) (Price:$39.95)
Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
How does the ipod adapter integrate with the business cd? Curious how broad the functionality is - can you access playlists or genres, or just scroll through all songs alphabetically?

I just purchased a 2006 X3 with business CD and no additional items. It is prewired for CD Changer and or satellite radio in the rear drivers side cargo area (a number of connectors are in a velcro protective wrap, including what looks like some optic connectors... maybe for nav??? I am currently considering options. Would like to have sat radio + ipod. Would anyone be able to recommend a solution? BMW or 3rd-party?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 AM
sapper

Mein Auto: 02 WRX, 06 X3
it's half assed. Do a search and you'll see the specifics. I have it on my X3. It shows playlists up to 100 songs I believe. Doesn't show names I don't think. I ended up installing the AUX.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:33 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeudian View Post
I have had the dealer install my iPod Interface Connector for my 06 BMW X3, which I use and love everyday. But I seem to come at times requiring the use of just a standard Aux Connector.

I was going to purchase the Aux connector and install it, but I wanted to know if it is possible to have the Aux connector and iPod Interface installed simultaneously, allowing me to toggle between them.

Thanks.
A loaner I had had the ipod adapter installed. If you simply unplug the cable, you have the AUX port to use. Very simple.

I was disappointed that the ipod adapter did not charge my iphone, so I will not purchase that option for my X3.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
A quick call to service will give you the best answer. I have the factory aux and DICE iPod adapter installed. I can use either one. The aftermarket iPod adapters use the cd changer input. I think that you can have both the BMW iPod interface AND the aux input, but check with the dealer to be sure.
I ended up sending my DICE back. Too many issues with the unit to deal with. I stayed with the $6 AUX cable option.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I ended up sending my DICE back. Too many issues with the unit to deal with. I stayed with the $6 AUX cable option.
How and where do you get and hook up the $6 aux cable option?
Thanks.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbimmer View Post
how and where do you get .... The $6 aux cable option?
Thanks.
+1
Old 09-12-2009, 07:07 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbimmer View Post
How and where do you get and hook up the $6 aux cable option?
Thanks.
I purchased a cable from Radio Shack. It plugs into the AUX jack in the X3. The other end plugs into my headphone jack on my iphone 3GS. Then I can listen to my ipod music, stream Pandora or Sirius by turning on AUX on the radio. I charge the phone through the power jack.

Not as clean as other setups, but cheaper, charges the phone and does not lock up on my like the DICE would.

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I purchased a cable from Radio Shack. It plugs into the AUX jack in the X3. The other end plugs into my headphone jack on my iphone 3GS. Then I can listen to my ipod music, stream Pandora or Sirius by turning on AUX on the radio. I charge the phone through the power jack.

Not as clean as other setups, but cheaper, charges the phone and does not lock up on my like the DICE would.
Yeah, DICE is nice when it's not locked up.... have it in the e46 and I'm thinking in running the $6 cable from the DICE aux port and just use it like that since I can't install an AUX port directly to the Bussines unit.
I use the AUX port on the X3 without any issues other than I can't charge and stream music in my iPhone at the same time. No problems with my son's SONY Walkman mp3 player...
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i sport
Hopefully you can help me with a problem. I have a Business head unit the CD changer factory installed. I tried to install the Aux input (the second one described below) it seems to use the same back plug as the CD changer. I was able to plug it into the other plug to the left of that by removing a tab on the plug, but it doesn't work (maybe the wiring is reversed?). Either way, if I was to reroute the yellow and black cables as you did, and re-plug in the CD changer wire, would I lose power to the CD changer? I hope this is making sense... maybe I need to takes some pics... Any help would be great. I want to use both the CD changer and the aux in cable. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeudian View Post
I am using both the official BMW iPod and BMW Aux Cables to interface with my radio. I have copied and pasted the part numbers form BMW's parts website.

iPodŽ Interface Adapter

Integrates the Apple iPod into the BMW audio system and allows you to control and listen to your iPod music collection by using the vehicle's radio and steering wheel controls. Adapter also charges the iPod's internal battery when the vehicle is running. (PN: 65 11 0 035 961) (Price:$185.00)

Auxiliary Audio Input

Now you can connect virtually any audio device to your factory radio. Use an MP3 Player, portable CD, cassette player and more by plugging the headphone output of your device directly into your BMW's audio system. The audio connection is mounted securely in the glovebox of your X3 and has a 3.5mm stereo connector. Audio from the auxiliary input is selected using the "mode" button on your radio. (PN: 82 11 0 149 390) (Price:$39.95)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Yeah, DICE is nice when it's not locked up.... have it in the e46 and I'm thinking in running the $6 cable from the DICE aux port and just use it like that since I can't install an AUX port directly to the Bussines unit.
I use the AUX port on the X3 without any issues other than I can't charge and stream music in my iPhone at the same time. No problems with my son's SONY Walkman mp3 player...
Why not charge it from the power adapter using the chrage cord? You can do this while playing the iphone with the AUX jack. That is all I do. Messy, yes. Functional? Yes. Lock-ups, no!

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
Howdy -

Not sure if this thread is still being tracked, but will give it a shot. I recently acquired a 2004 X3 from a non-BMW dealer, so they had no information about how the car was equipped, etc. It does have an aftermarket Sirius radio adapter (wired) with an Ipod interface cable attached as well, with all of this installed in the dashboard cubbyhole.

I appear to have a Dice adapter installed. I have a valid subscription to Sirius and a borrowed Ipod that attaches to the cable properly (and charges).

The problem: I can't seem to engage the CD changer mode, either to play the iPod or the Sirius radio. No power to the Dice adapter itself? Is there some kind of reset mode for the radio to turn on the CD Changer mode?

Apologies if these questions have been answered, just haven't found the answers yet...

Thanks,
wbrproductions