Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Epic road trip... (large photos)

This Labor Day I drove from Seattle to Missoula, MT to see my friend Todd and his partner Erick. We went mountain biking, played frisbee golf, checked out the farmers' market and watched his daughter's soccer game. On the way East I took I-90, covering 480 miles in just over 7 hours. On the way back, however, I took a much more interesting route.
From Missoula, I went over Route 12 through southern Idaho. I recall seeing one sign that warned of curves ahead *Next 45 Miles*. Yes, this is one hell of a road! I also stopped off at the amazing Weir Hot Springs near mile marker 142. In respect for the people who chose clothing optional at the hot springs, you will not find any photos here.
This has to be one of the most amazing drives in America. I did this 8 years ago back in 2001 when driving from NYC to San Francisco for grad school. I promised myself I'd drive it again, because it's just that much fun. Honestly, I was exhausted by the time I got to Seattle. 530 miles home, and much of it on winding, 2-lane roads. Of that 530 miles, only 135 miles were on I-90; everything else was on secondary roads.

My X3 is a 2006 3.0i with manual, sport, premium, xenons, PDC, premium stereo, etc. The manual was so much fun on these roads. It also really came in handy passing RVs and other slow cars on these narrow roads. I will say, I wish the sports seats had even more side bolstering on these particular roads.

Now, for the photos...

First, a map. Note all the twists and turns!

Mile 142 on the Lochsa River:

Foot bridge over the Lochsa River:

After a self-serve car wash in Kamiah, ID:

The view along Washington Rt 26:
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Absolutely beautiful. I wish I had nice curvey roads and that kind of scenary over here, not just plain and bored landscape....
Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Nice pics.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Great pics. I drove through Going to the Sun road in MT this weekend myself and X3 is a blast to drive on curves. Pity that the speed limits, tourists on road and construction doesn't allow you to do what X3 actually can. It was fun nonetheless.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Great hot springs in Idaho. No sulpher smell in the ones I've been in. Time for a road trip!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 AM
5th BMW

Mein Auto: 2008 E83 / 2004 E46
Having been born here on the east coast, all I can say is - NICE. I drove (In a rented Nissan Altima - left the E46 and E83 home) from Las Vegas to Los Angeles in April of this year, my wifes first trip out west and she was in awe of those views through the desert. The whole time I was wishing We were in the X-3.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2RKJ View Post
Having been born here on the east coast, all I can say is - NICE.
I was born and raised on the East Coast. Grew up in Long Island, college in New Jersey, worked in Boston, and then moved to the West Coast in 2001. I love to go back and *visit* the east, especially NYC, but I just can't imagine moving back. Seattle is just an amazing place to live. It's got great job opportunities for my line of work, and it's close to the great outdoors. Yes, mass transit is totally lacking and poorly planned, but you figure your way around that. I do my best not to commute by car, and then take my X3 out on some really amazing road trips.