Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Approaching the 50,000 Mile Abyss w/ questions???

My 2006 X3 Certified Pre Owned is shortly going to reach 50,000 miles. It has the 100,000 mile extended warranty. I realize some things will no longer be covered after 50K. I've looked over the warranty information for the most part....

No longer covered:
Maintenance
Engine
Transmission
Body Adjustments
Wheel alignment
Balancing or Rotation
Wiper Blade Inserts (NOOOO!!!)
Engine Drive Belts
Spark Plugs
Filters
Fuses
All Batteries
Hoses and Clamps (Except Air Conditioning and power steering)
Oils Lubricants Fluids Refrigerants Coolants
Brake Pads and Rotors
Brake Shoes and Drums
Manual Transmission clutch assemblies
Suspension dampers (shock absorbers/ strut elements)
Exhaust system
Tires

It had its "Final" inspection and oil change this spring. Nothing was replaced except the Remote Door Lock Antenna Amplifier, the Seat Matt Recall, and the typical wiper blades.

Is there something I might be missing that I should have looked at or replaced before 50K? I'm going to send it in one more time insisting they check/replace:
Brake pads
Belts
Suspension

Is there something you regret not having checked or replaced before 50K ????????????????????

Thanks!

Dave
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Under the Scheduled Maintenance you should just qualify for your 2nd. brake fluid flush
(every 2 years from date of production, not in-service date).

I think you have most everything else covered.

I imagine they will check your antifreeze strength and top it up if needed.

Sounds as though you don't like having just wiper blade inserts replaced?
No point in throwing out perfectly good wiper blades if only the rubber needs replacing.

Maybe you need something special for your climate, but ..

O.E. blades can last the life of a vehicle I find.

The universal fit aftermarket ones that so many people buy rarely perform as well,
which is why they keep buying different ones year after year. Bad habit.

However, I do like the look of the new low-profile arms and blades on most '09 BMW's.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3
are you saying that tires can be replaced ( for free ) under 50k?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I don't think Bunkerdave's list is just strictly what expires at 4 yr./50K miles,
- just a summary of what will not be covered for sure on his 100K mile extended warranty.
Hence the appearance of "maintenance" in the list.

Tires not covered by BMW at all, and wheel alignment would have expired after 20K miles, I believe.

Tire rotation was never covered, balancing maybe within the first year only.

It's not a complete abyss, though -

BMW warranty still applies on the catalytic converter and the engine control module (incl. the OBD system) up to 8 years/ 80K miles.

Not to mention the 6 year/ unlimited miles warranty on rust perforation.

And, of course, for some customers of some dealerships, goodwill provisions up to 18 mos., for some defects or failures, under certain circumstances.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Ahh, the engine and transmission aren't covered? Not so. Perhaps this is just a typo in the original post. Please see http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Covered.aspx for what is covered. For what is not covered it says on http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx that "engine, transmission, and body adjustments" are not covered. That's one clause, not three separate things.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
The list should have read "Not covered" instead of "No longer covered". "engine, transmission, and body adjustments" also was one clause.

I was wondering if there was anything in particular with the X3 that soon after the 50K point tended to go out... and not be covered under the extended warranty plan. If so... i wanted to have these areas extra scrutinized.

Other than suggesting a 2nd. brake fluid flush I'm just going to have them take one last look at the:
Brake pads
Belts
Suspension

Thanks for the reply's!
Dave
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmadoggie View Post
Ahh, the engine and transmission aren't covered? Not so. Perhaps this is just a typo in the original post. Please see http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Covered.aspx for what is covered. For what is not covered it says on http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otCovered.aspx that "engine, transmission, and body adjustments" are not covered. That's one clause, not three separate things.
The main reason (highlighted) i decided not to purchase the extended warranty.