Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5d
Sport Package Changes for 2010 Models

The current X5 Sports Package (ZSP) will not be offered in 2010. In its place will be a Sports Activity Package (ZAP) with a MSRP of $2,200. The ZAP includes sport steering wheel, 19 wheels, titanium color front grills, sport seats, shadowline exterior trim, and anthracite headliner.

ZAP will not include Adaptive Drive, which is available as a separate option for MSRP of $3,500. The ZAP + Adaptive Drive will retail for $5,700, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is $1200 more than the $4500 Eco-Credit offered on 2009 and 2010 X5d models.

Now that facts are out of the way, I'll offer up an opinion or two. Great handling sets the X5 apart from SUVs from other manufacturers. I think it's a mistake to unbundle Adaptive Drive from the Sports Package. Will customers pay the extra $3500 for the improved handling? Maybe, but maybe not. If they don't buy Adaptive Drive, then the X5 could develop a reputation as just another 5- to 7-passenger vehicle. That change could hurt the X5's unique selling proposition in the market. And once a market position is lost, it's hard to get it back.
Ads by Google
Old 08-20-2009, 05:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
this is very disappointing news and agree it's a huge mistake. i was carefully optioning out a 2010 to get the handling that sets it apart from others that at least part way justifies the large premium over other makes. The ridiculous option pricing just became absurd and i'm now souring on the idea.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHC View Post
The current X5 Sports Package (ZSP) will not be offered in 2010. In its place will be a Sports Activity Package (ZAP) with a MSRP of $2,200. The ZAP includes sport steering wheel, 19" wheels, titanium color front grills, sport seats, shadowline exterior trim, and anthracite headliner.

ZAP will not include Adaptive Drive, which is available as a separate option for MSRP of $3,500. The ZAP + Adaptive Drive will retail for $5,700,.....
The Adaptive Drive was almost certainly the main cost item to BMW (both to install and warranty) in the old ZSP package which only went for $3700 or $200 more than new separate Adaptive Drive option. IMO the real rip off is the new ZAP package which basically replaces std items with 'upgraded' items that probably don't cost BMW all that much more than the std items: front grills, headliner, seats, wheels, tires. My bet is that these 'appearance' items are the main reason that people got the old Sports Package. And it will probably still sell well with a much higher margin for BMW.

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 08-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Living my Ultimate dream

Mein Auto: 2007 335ic, 2009 X5 3.0
I was debating on whether to wait for a 2010 model to get the updated iDrive. Now I'm glad I didn't. I definitely wanted the Adaptive Drive, but I likely wouldn't be willing to pay for it on top of the Sport Package.

2009 E70 X5 3.0, Monaco Blue / Tobacco Leather / Dark Burl Walnut / Sport
Premium / Technology / CA / Sirius / iPod / Comfort, Heated seats / Running boards

2007 E92 335i, Space Gray / Black Leather / Gray Poplar
Sport / Premium / AT / Nav / CA / Sirius / iPod / Heated seats / Dinan flash
Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
did the dealers stop taking orders for 2009 models?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
did the dealers stop taking orders for 2009 models?
Yes...

Craig
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
BMW NA bundles options and packages in such a way that it makes it easier for dealers to order inventory vehicles, not necessarily for the consumer.

Your average BMW buyer thesedays does not care for (or appreciate) the additional handling capabilities of the BMW. As long as it is stable on the off-ramp at 45mph, that is enough to please the average test driver.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: Ford F-150
I'm hoping this is not true. I ordered a 2010 X5 with Sport Package yesterday, and on my build sheet, it lists Adaptive Drive in the Sport Package section, as part of the package. My research led me to believe I was going to have to pay the extra $3,500.00, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BMW's 2010 computer program for custom building vehicles is correct. We should know for sure in the next week or so, when BMW officially releases X5 pricing.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
We should know for sure in the next week or so, when BMW officially releases X5 pricing.
I belpeve the 2010 pricing has already been released...

http://www.xoutpost.com/650613-post48.html
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
I think it's a mistake to unbundle Adaptive Drive from the Sports Package. Will customers pay the extra $3500 for the improved handling? Maybe, but maybe not. If they don't buy Adaptive Drive, then the X5 could develop a reputation as just another 5- to 7-passenger vehicle. That change could hurt the X5's unique selling proposition in the market. And once a market position is lost, it's hard to get it back.

Well, maybe BMW figures that now that they have the "M" package to carry the flag for maximum X5 performance and handling, they figure they can unbundle the Sport package (Adaptive drive is included in the M Sport Package).
Old 09-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
Quote:
I'm hoping this is not true. I ordered a 2010 X5 with Sport Package yesterday, and on my build sheet, it lists Adaptive Drive in the Sport Package section, as part of the package. My research led me to believe I was going to have to pay the extra $3,500.00, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that BMW's 2010 computer program for custom building vehicles is correct. We should know for sure in the next week or so, when BMW officially releases X5 pricing.
Post the sheet?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Yes, the build sheet/dealerspeed order entry system does not display the build the same way as they present pricing on the 'wholesale pricing pdf'...

The ZAP which is the "Sport Activity Paclkage" is separate from the "330 Sport package" which has all the sub options and the 2VA also.

Hmmm, I guess we shall see...

A
Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d
What is the 330 Sport Package? I did not see it on the order sheet. I placed an order for the 2010 x5d with the sport activity package + the adaptive drive as others have mentioned.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMav View Post
What is the 330 Sport Package? I did not see it on the order sheet. I placed an order for the 2010 x5d with the sport activity package + the adaptive drive as others have mentioned.
Which "order sheet"??? There is the published documents, which seem to tell a coherent story...BUT the 'dealerspeed.net" web based order configuration tool the dealers build an order with seems to have some confusing package definitions...
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Which "order sheet"??? There is the published documents, which seem to tell a coherent story...BUT the 'dealerspeed.net" web based order configuration tool the dealers build an order with seems to have some confusing package definitions...
My Bad. I was referring to the wholesale/retail price sheet which does not list a 330 option. When I double check the "Vehicle Inquiry Report" which is the confirmation sheet the dealer gave me with my order there is a "330 Sport Package" listed. Under the 330 sport package, it list 2VA Adaptive Drive, but has a footnote symbol by it, which usually denotes an up charge item (the footnote reads "Alternate Option"). The price is "blocked." My sales manager was a little confused about the final price as well as it was not listed on the computer print out. We simply negotiated a 1% over invoice price, once that price is known. I feel fairly confident of the invoice price given the wholesale price list on this site and others. I fully expect to pay the extra cash for the adaptive drive. I will let you know if something else happens.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
The current X5 Sports Package (ZSP) will not be offered in 2010. In its place will be a Sports Activity Package (ZAP) with a MSRP of $2,200. The ZAP includes sport steering wheel, 19 wheels, titanium color front grills, sport seats, shadowline exterior trim, and anthracite headliner.

ZAP will not include Adaptive Drive, which is available as a separate option for MSRP of $3,500. The ZAP + Adaptive Drive will retail for $5,700, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is $1200 more than the $4500 Eco-Credit offered on 2009 and 2010 X5d models.

Now that facts are out of the way, I'll offer up an opinion or two. Great handling sets the X5 apart from SUVs from other manufacturers. I think it's a mistake to unbundle Adaptive Drive from the Sports Package. Will customers pay the extra $3500 for the improved handling? Maybe, but maybe not. If they don't buy Adaptive Drive, then the X5 could develop a reputation as just another 5- to 7-passenger vehicle. That change could hurt the X5's unique selling proposition in the market. And once a market position is lost, it's hard to get it back.
+1 Just look at how few Cayenne GTSs come through with PDCC the porsche equivalent of adaptive drive. Most GTS owners probably don't even know its an option...seriously. BMW has in the past helped its consumers make the informed choice..i.e. the fact that no all wheel drive models come with sports suspension aside from the Xs. Adaptive drive is a standalone on the 7 which is smart so even the non sport car can benefit from it, but all sports packages should have it included where available. Anti-roll is the essence of sport.

DRP
Old 09-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: Ford F-150
Just got X5 pricing confirmation from my dealer. The dealer build program now populates pricing. Up until today everything read "blocked." Adaptive Drive (2VA) is listed as an optional item in the Sport Package Section (330) at a $3,500.00 addition. Dissapointing, but, to me, it is a neccessity.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just got X5 pricing confirmation from my dealer. The dealer build program now populates pricing. Up until today everything read "blocked." Adaptive Drive (2VA) is listed as an optional item in the Sport Package Section (330) at a $3,500.00 addition. Dissapointing, but, to me, it is a neccessity.

Not surprising.... it has always been listed as an option. the 330 packagehas never been listed anywhere though...

What does 330 price at?

What does ZAP price at?