Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Angry Power windows not working...

For some reason my power windows decided to go out on me at beach today. I managed to get one of them up electrically the other I had to shove an allen wrench in to get it up.

I check the fuses and none were blown, wiring also appears to be ok. I even switched my switches to if one was done but nothing happened.

The windows were letting down perfectly fine when I left my house and headed to the beach and also worked on the way without a problem. Power sunroof is also working fine.

Any ideas? Regulators? Faulty wiring somewhere? Also where should I start troubleshooting?
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM
bmore nick

Mein Auto: 325e
i had a similar problem, but it was only my passenger side. its gone through 2 motors and now i need another one. i would pull the motors out but leave them connected and push the button to see if they work or not. if they don't, try tapping on them, i've heard that works sometimes.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbimma85 View Post
For some reason my power windows decided to go out on me at beach today. I managed to get one of them up electrically the other I had to shove an allen wrench in to get it up.

I check the fuses and none were blown, wiring also appears to be ok. I even switched my switches to if one was done but nothing happened.

The windows were letting down perfectly fine when I left my house and headed to the beach and also worked on the way without a problem. Power sunroof is also working fine.

Any ideas? Regulators? Faulty wiring somewhere? Also where should I start troubleshooting?
If both failed at the same time, it would be unlikely the problem is the regulators. Regulator problem does not come suddenly. You will know from the crackling noise when the windows are cranking up or down.

I also discount faulty wire because you said one window worked. How did you managed to get one of them up, electrically. Did the motor require some of your effort to get the window up? If so, something is working against the window. Maybe that window has regulaor problem. I suspect one of the motor burned out, and the other is bad regulator.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Take your pick

Fuses, switches, circuit breaker, wiring, regulator, motor.

In my case, gunked switches, frayed wiring leading to wiring breaks (inoperative windows) and short circuits (inoperative window, blown fuses, and an occasional popped circuit breaker).

For those in wetter climates, where moisture gets inside the doors, then I can see regulators and motors getting corroded. In southern Nevada, it hasn't been an issue for me.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 325is
Are you sure you didn't press that stupid button by the radio which cuts the power to the windows? i hit that once and didn't realize it for a couple days with my windows open lol
Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 325E
use a power probe to see if the motor works and if not then there you go. I had a the same problam. I think everyone can agree that it happens. I mean I have an 85 325e. The car is 23 year old. The motor is done.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: So. California
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30-325 View Post
Are you sure you didn't press that stupid button by the radio which cuts the power to the windows? i hit that once and didn't realize it for a couple days with my windows open lol
Old thread, I know, but you just saved me from tearing the wiring out to trace an electrical problem. The windows stopped working yesterday, and once I got the control arm problem squared away, I started troubleshooting them. It was the stupid switch by the radio. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 03:26 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
YEHHHH STUPID BUTTON has got us all at least once!

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 PM
dream chasin'

Send a message via AIM to anstead610
Mein Auto: 24v e30 -88 toyota pickup
that button ****ed me for a couple hours when i first got my e30. i just kept pushing the window button over and over getting extremely pissed. then my mom came in the garage and started pushing buttons and she pushed it and hit the window switch for no reason and i just sat there, stared at the button and looked at my mom in one ofthose "did you really just do that and solve my problem?" looks.

This e30 is now being parted out. NO body panels are for sale, bumpers/fenders/hood/mirrors/valance or front turn signals. Everything else is up for grabs. Euro grills/cluster are sold, suspension/brakes/LSD/rear tails are already spoken for.