Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: Jeep
Vacuum Leak?

Ok so my gut says I have a small vacuum leak:

CEL: Bank 1 and Bank 2 o2 Sensors running lean.

On startup: About a five second shudder, then it runs normal. Haven't noticed any other symptoms, except every once in a while it has a more aggressive than normal downshift but it is not common and doesn't seem to be related.

Am i wrong to think this sounds like a small vacuum leak? I went out and checked all over it from above and below with a hose listening for a leak, and squirting powder on the hoses to watch for obvious spots. Couldn't find anything. I am open to suggestions.
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3-330XI
Did you check the exhaust flapper valve vacuum hose? I had same symptoms on startup. My X3 has only about 30K on it and the hose was brittle and leaked. I cut about an .5 inches from it and reconnected it.
E83 2006 Mods installed: Homelink mirror. CIS-IBUS Nav video module, AUX, Rear DR release, NAV SoftW-Mods, Mud Flaps, sun room Visor, Atom based CarPC. Purchased & pending - BMW CD Changer (NOT Installed). Pending: remote start & LED Angel eyes.
E46 2001 - 18.5 wheels/tires (summer), 17 stock (winter), Homelink, NAV software upgrade, 16:9 display, BMW video module, Radio to V53, AUX, USB IBUS interface,OEM alarm install, Mini ITX computer, tank battery(removed) & remote starter.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
Did you check the exhaust flapper valve vacuum hose? I had same symptoms on startup. My X3 has only about 30K on it and the hose was brittle and leaked. I cut about an .5 inches from it and reconnected it.
Interesting I did notice that it was broken I shoved the golf tee in there and called it done. Perhaps I should check that out a bit better to see if it is leaking still.

It actually all started after I tried to do the golf tee mod unsuccesfully (it was unsuccesful since the hose was already broken).

Checking that now...
Old 09-20-2009, 03:18 PM

No go, I cut off the severed end of hose and put it back onto the canister. Made the exhaust quiet but didn't fix the start up issue. Pulled the electrical connector off the vacuum pump and exhaust is back to "normal" (louder), but again same issue is still going on.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwoodall View Post
Interesting I did notice that it was broken I shoved the golf tee in there and called it done. Perhaps I should check that out a bit better to see if it is leaking still.

It actually all started after I tried to do the golf tee mod unsuccesfully (it was unsuccesful since the hose was already broken).

Checking that now...
I don't think you have an air leak, since you say the hose was already broken. I actually think is a bad coincidence and we are looking at a MAF sensor in its early failure stages. What did you use to clean it? you have to use a specific cleaner. That, and you should've been able to notice the rough start up before.
Go to the NAPA and get a new MAF sensor, swap it, and if is not that just take it back.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/maf

Quote:
and exhaust is back to "normal" (louder),
Actually the "quite" mode is the normal one.

Last edited by X3-terrestrial; 09-21-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 AM

Yep that is how I cleaned it. Will check on a new MAF today.

I put normal in "quotes" because I like my vehicles with a bit of volume to them
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Aficionado

Quote:
I like my vehicles with a bit of volume to them
Same here.
Let us know if the new MAF solves the problem.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 AM

I cleaned the MAF again and put in some Lucas fuel additive Fuel Injector cleaner. I am pretty sure it is the MAF. I am going to give it a few weeks to recoup some of my expenses from the new car, new rack, etc.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
I cleaned the MAF again and put in some Lucas fuel additive Fuel Injector cleaner. I am pretty sure it is the MAF. I am going to give it a few weeks to recoup some of my expenses from the new car, new rack, etc.
Cool. Keep us posted... How do you like the X overall??
Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Ok so my gut says I have a small vacuum leak:

CEL: Bank 1 and Bank 2 o2 Sensors running lean.

On startup: About a five second shudder, then it runs normal. Haven't noticed any other symptoms, except every once in a while it has a more aggressive than normal downshift but it is not common and doesn't seem to be related.
If this is code P0171 & P0174, then I had the same problem except I did not notice any drive ability issues. Dealer replaced the MAF sensor under warranty
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Yep those are the codes it drives just fine. I am starting to notice the downshifts are getting a bit more agressive from 2 down into 1. But it is infrequent. I may just continue to drive it until it starts to lag on me.

Overall I love it. I put a basket and single bike carrier on it, while not as easy as tossing it into the bed of my truck it works. Its not quick in the straightways like the WRX I drove but it is fun in the twistys just the same as the WRX. Overall I think I found the perfect balance of utility, fun, gas mileage, and cool factor in one car (at a price I could afford).

Today was the first day for rain and it handled it like a champ. My fiance said she isn't nearly as nervous when I drive it for fun as she was in the truck since it feels glued to the road
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
downshifts are getting a bit more agressive
The adaptive software might be doing it's job. If you have been driving it kind of hard, it's getting used to it The adaptive transmission is always changing so you will notice changes over time according to your driving style.

Quote:
Today was the first day for rain and it handled it like a champ.
I know what you are talking about, trust me!.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:30 AM

I am about to have to change my driving habits. 14 MPG is what my truck was getting. After this tank it is time for more responsible (fiscally) driving.