Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI Wagon
help deciding on e30 convertible

HI,
I am interested in purchasing a 1987 red automatic convertible. The car has 135,000 miles on it. The carfax is good, except in one minor accident which was repaired. The body is perfect, and new paint job.
Problem is it is in texas, and I am in ny. I saw it on ebay. I have spoken to the owner, and he told me the rear window was not working correctly(works on and off). ALso, dash is cracked. Headliner needs to be reattached. Car radio was upgraded by previous owner, and they took the head unit. Doesn't know about weather the timing belt has been changed or not.

SO my thought is. The asking price is 2500.00 but I would have to pay 700.00 for shipping. Has anyone ever bought a car via internet sight unseen, or do you think I should wait, and find one closer to my house so that I can test drive it.

I feel the price is fair as it includes a hard top as well. I feel like I should go for it, but am afraid, as I have not seen or driven the car.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2009, 03:30 PM

oh and the a/c is not working. He filled it with the new freone, but he thinks there is a slow leak, as it held the charge for a few days, and is now not working again. thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
hey depending on which part of texas it is in I could go look at it for you. I'm in san antonio.

Also, I know two people who have bought cars on ebay and it worked out well for both. You should also look into what kind of policy ebay has, I've heard rumors about some sort of buyer protection policy for used cars.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 09-23-2009, 04:25 PM

Thanks. This is the address. CORNELIUS MOTOR SALES
3415 NE 28TH ST
FORT WORTH, TX 76111
Phone: (817)834-5557
I don't really know Texas very well, so don't know how far you are from there.

The problem is that the auction is over, and the reserve was not met. I since have contacted the person selling the car. The parents own the car dealership, and are keeping the car there to sell.
So, I don't think I would get any protection.
Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 325 es
umm, try searching on craiglist for a car near you, u may be able to find it closer to you.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 PM

HI,
I did, and went to look at the only one for sale in my area. It had the same mileage, but was in pretty bad shape. One of the front lights is cracked, the car has rust and the paint is all worn, the a/c needs to be charged, there is a crack in the front window, and the rear antenna is cracked off. The tires need to be replaced. The guy seems to take good car of it mechanically, and was using it as a daily driver, so mechanically it is sound. But he wants about 2500 for it, and it needs a lot of work, and no hard top included. The hard tops are very expensive if you can even find one. 1,000-1500.
Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 325 es
to do all that work i wouldnt pay 1000 for the car, ur right about the hard top.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1988 BMW 325i
hey fort worth is a little to far for me to check it out, sorry.

but if you want that car have them relist it. Never buy anything after an auction has ended, I got burned by that once.

The E30 is what all actual driving enthusiasts are after. It's an unpretentious machine, quietly capable of spectacular feats of handling. It's light, simple design is rugged enough to run against $400k rally cars, but on the street it' communicative chassis delights even the most disinterested driver. It really is one of the world's ultimate driving machines
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM

o.k Thanks for the offer anyway. It was really nice of you. Appreciate the offer. I will see if he is willing to relist it. thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 AM

Hre is a picture: http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!!fN8M6QB2E~$%28KGrHqUH-C0EqudlQdKwBKs!5Uw-WQ~~_4.JPG
It seems that people are selling all of these cars for much higher then say what a kbb value is. Do people feel this tis the trend as it is becoming a vintage, classic car?

Last edited by lucyred62; 09-24-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 85 325E
Are they asking higher than KBB or selling higher ?? lot of factors involved to determine value. try "edmunds.com" i've found them to be a little more accurate for used car values. And the old saying is true "a used car is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. Oh and stay away from NADA their prices a skewed for the dealers advantage.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jetpilot718
Mein Auto: E30 325ic
Hey man,

There's a red 1987 vert by me in Levittown (Long Island, probably 45 mins drive) for sale. It's got 70K on it, interior is mint, engine bay is mint. Car was female driven so exterior is on the rough side, but not bad at all. Easy cosmetic fix at any decent body shop. I can recommend a great one if you like, in Queens (it's my brother's place). Guy is asking like 3700 or so, but I know $3K cash will take it. It's at the BP station just off the Wantagh parkway exit W3. So, for you in White Plains, it's Hutch South, Whitestone BR, Cross Island south to LIE east, LIE east to Northern east for like 2 miles, then Wantagh east to exit W3. Can't miss it.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpilot718 View Post
Hey man,

There's a red 1987 vert by me in Levittown (Long Island, probably 45 mins drive) for sale. It's got 70K on it, interior is mint, engine bay is mint. Car was female driven so exterior is on the rough side, but not bad at all. Easy cosmetic fix at any decent body shop. I can recommend a great one if you like, in Queens (it's my brother's place). Guy is asking like 3700 or so, but I know $3K cash will take it. It's at the BP station just off the Wantagh parkway exit W3. So, for you in White Plains, it's Hutch South, Whitestone BR, Cross Island south to LIE east, LIE east to Northern east for like 2 miles, then Wantagh east to exit W3. Can't miss it.
Thanks. Sounds good. Will you be seeing the car again. I was just wondering if there was a number to call. I probably won't be able to see it until sat,and just want to make sure it is still available. You mentioned about the exterior. What exactly needs to be done, and do you have a ball park figure as to how much it would be? Thanks again. I really appreciate it. You can pm me with phone number and estimate of body work if you don't want to put on site. Thanks

Last edited by lucyred62; 09-24-2009 at 03:58 PM.