Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Go Mountaineers!

Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Vert
Attn: Those of Us w/ iPhones...

Last weekend, I dumped my BlackBerry Curve for an iPhone 3G. I really like it. One drawback: I have no signal at mi casa (I live in a rural area). I do. however, have wireless, so I can still get most of the online content at home and in the areas where AT&T has signal, so it's not a total wasted effort (although having 3G in the area would be nice). I have three questions (skip to Q3 if you do not have the BMW snap-in adapter):

Q1) Does the in-car snap-in adapter, which uses the in-car antenna, make much difference with your signal strength? It did with my Moto V3, but the AT&T rep told me that the iPhone had a better antenna than most other smartphones (true or not, I do not know). I'll take any additional signal I can get!

Q2) How well does the iPhone snap-in adapter facilitate docking the phone? My former Moto Razr snap-in adapter was not the easiest to use...it required you to snap the phone into the cradle at a compound 45-degree angle while trying to line up the data/charge port on the lower LH side of the phone, then push it into the cradle to snap it in tight. If you didn't need to dock the phone a lot, it worked great. I'll be carrying my iPhone with me a lot more, so ease of in and out is important. Bottom line - If the signal strength is considerably better, I could give up some convenience in getting the phone in and out of the dock.

Q3) Anyone using both the iPod and iPhone functionality via BMW iPod integration kit and Bluetooth? Is is a good integration or more trouble than it's worth?

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks!

Mike

Driver8
2002 TiAg M3 Convertible
Missed: '06 750i/'07 X3/'06 330i/'04 X5/'04 325i/'03 530i/'02 X5/'98 528i/'95 M3
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Porsche Ex-Pat

Send a message via AIM to Call Me Daddy
Mein Auto: 2003 745i Blk/Blk Sport
It's more trouble than it's worth to use the iDrive in my opinion. I keep my phone in the cupholder while driving and for me it is easier just to pick it up and click the contact than to scroll thru 5 menus to get there.

Am I crazy or am I?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Swaynesworld

Mein Auto: 750Li
iPhone 3GS Adapter

I too have an iPhone 3G with the adapter. First of all I am in an area where AT&T is the only service that works at home and in the office. You must pick your carrier with this criteria in mind. What use is the phone if you can't use it at the places you spend the most time. Everyone knows California (hills and valleys) makes it difficult for reception.

As far as the reception improvement when in the adapter; I believe there is at best nominal improvement yet I have dropped calls while driving and the phone was in the adapter. We have lots of trees in Maryland that make reception a chore. I think its a bit cumbersome to put the iPhone in the adapter even though there is just one slot to line up and a clip at the top. I don't mind it though the phone is secure (cf. cupholder) and out of sight!

I like the adapter because I don't want to be tempted to pickup the phone while its in the cupholder. I would rather concentrate on driving rather than scrolling for a number or texting which can really be dangerous. Program your voice activated dialing if you have it its a useful tool esp. for safety & at the very least for convenience.

I don't have the ipod integration yet but I'm considering getting it; I don't like having to burn multiple Mp3 CD's so that I can see the Title Track and Artist while listening to music. (Feedback here would be appreciated)

Hope this helps.

"Religion sucks"
Mark Driscoll