Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325 i convert
Clock runs fast What did I do now?

Why canít I be normal and have a normal car?
I have an 89 325i Convertible that I have been fixing up for some time now.

This problem just popped up and is quite funny and very confusing. The clock on the onboard computer runs way to fast. It changes time every 12 seconds. So every 12 seconds another minute passes.

One more issue is my check oil light is on (above the winshield light) but my levels are great.

History:
Last Thursday I went to San Fran and came back to a dead battery. So after a jump start, I am running again. Other than the jump start no changes or repairs.
So why would this be?
Recent things that I have done:
Replaced the batteries behind the dash.
Replaced oil pan gasket.
When the car is running the battery is charging at 13.5v
So any clues?????

Thanks
John
Ads by Google
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappleco View Post
Why canít I be normal and have a normal car?
I have an 89 325i Convertible that I have been fixing up for some time now.

This problem just popped up and is quite funny and very confusing. The clock on the onboard computer runs way to fast. It changes time every 12 seconds. So every 12 seconds another minute passes.

One more issue is my check oil light is on (above the winshield light) but my levels are great.

History:
Last Thursday I went to San Fran and came back to a dead battery. So after a jump start, I am running again. Other than the jump start no changes or repairs.
So why would this be?
Recent things that I have done:
Replaced the batteries behind the dash.
Replaced oil pan gasket.
When the car is running the battery is charging at 13.5v
So any clues?????

Thanks
John
if you mean the light above the rear view mirror, the oil level will be the sensor is gone. mine is on its way out at the moment.
i would say that you havent done the batteries right or something occured when you did this. not having any experience changing them however, i wouldnt know for sure.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Actually, you've just stumbled on another one of the E30 and E36's strange quirks. At the time of the development of the E36 (early to mid '80s), NASA thought that we would have a civilization on Mars by the late 90's. Since BMW AG has ties with NASA's development programs, they actually equipped some E30, E36 and E34 DMEs with an option to switch to Mars time without major programming needed.
Since Mars has a ~4.8 hour day, that is approximately 1/5 of Earth's 24 hour day, 12.5 minute day which means on Mars, a minute passes every 12 Earth seconds.
Anyway I'm getting off topic. I have no clue how you managed to switch the time values from Earth to Mars, but what you need to do is simply bring the car by the Dealer for reprogramming that they most likely will not charge you for.

Last edited by PhilipWOT; 08-25-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM

Mars, you know I have been wanting to go on a road trip!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to danielw05 Send a message via MSN to danielw05 Send a message via Yahoo to danielw05 Send a message via Skype™ to danielw05
Mein Auto: 1990 325i
Mars...pffft...been there, done that...because of the time change, i got back the day after I left

I would unplug the onboard computer and plug it back in and see what happens, but you may have already tried that.

for the oil, get a new oil level sensor. I bought a used one for $30 or go the junkyard and try your luck.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Running life's race...

Mein Auto: 91 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielw05 View Post
Mars...pffft...been there, done that...because of the time change, i got back the day after I left

I would unplug the onboard computer and plug it back in and see what happens, but you may have already tried that.

for the oil, get a new oil level sensor. I bought a used one for $30 or go the junkyard and try your luck.
If the OP goes to the salvage yard, he might be able to get an OBC cheap. In Vegas, they cost under $15.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielw05 View Post

I was really hoping this guy would go to the dealer and request that they take his car off of "Mars time"
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 93 honda prelude
i definatly read the mars thing and was like holy crap youve got to be kidding...
and i was right.. you were
Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by omg vtec View Post
i definatly read the mars thing and was like holy crap youve got to be kidding...
And i was right.. You were
g >> t >> f >> o

not only are you a noob with vtec garbage .. but you posted on a post over 2 weeks old and had no info to add ..

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 AM

the mars trip was a blast! just a bit warmer then southern california, but the sights were great. i will be posting photos real soon! my local BMW dealer assisted with the reentry and offered a tire rotation and oil change for a spare left nut.

ended up unhooking battery and unplugging dash battery for 24 hours everything reset and is okeydokey.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dappleco View Post
just a bit warmer then southern california
should be colder. you must have gone to venus by mistake

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
[QUOTE=dappleco;4547810]my local BMW dealer assisted with the reentry and offered a tire rotation and oil change for a spare left nut.
QUOTE]

wow you got one of those! i always wondered what a spare left nut would be like.

and glad it was something simple. electronics can play way too many games