Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 91 BMW 318I
idle problems

Hello. i was just checking if any of you guys can help me out with a problem I'm having. I have a 91 318i E30 and it won't idle. i can give it gas and its fine but once the rpms drop it sputters and dies. i recently changed the timing chain tensioner to get rid of the knock i was having. i was just wondering is it something to do with timing, maybe something jacked up in it before i put the new tensioner in or could it be the idle control valve or something that i'm not aware of. it actually idled good for a good minute then i gave it some gas and when it went back to idle it started messing up again. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you

Eric
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: E30 '88 325i
Sounds like a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. When the accelerator is not pressed, it will tell the computer that the car should be idling, which yours doesn't seem to be doing. Its part of the throttle body. I accidentally left mine disconnected once and had the same symptoms.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Norwegian

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Was the Throttle position sensor (TPS) your problem? I got the same problem going on here and I suspect the TPS.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scany1980 View Post
Was the Throttle position sensor (TPS) your problem? I got the same problem going on here and I suspect the TPS.
is this regarding an E30? if not you are in the wrong forum. either way, check that and your ICV

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
is this regarding an E30? if not you are in the wrong forum. either way, check that and your ICV
i hate to say it, all vehicles that run obd have tps. all those cars can have the same issue.

but on the other hand, have you adjusted the idle via icv? mine started to act up, and i fixed it that way