Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525iT, Audi allroad
changing upholstery

How difficult would it be to take upholstery off the back seat (bottom part only) without damaging it?
I want to replace it with a European model with integrated child seats and use the current leather to re-upholster it.
Any ideas welcomed.
Ads by Google
Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: Cars
I suggest simply popping out the back seat bottom and checking. It takes all of 10 seconds to remove the seat bottom (no screws/bolts holding it in, pull up HARD at the front of the seat at the two points on either side of the transmission tunnel - putting it in is a bit more difficult because of getting the seat belts through the holes properly, then just snap back down at the same two points).

If I remember correctly, the leather is held in with industrial sized staples, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Should you choose to do the project, please take photos and submit a brief writeup to www.bmwtips.com (send email to tips@bmwtips.com) or just post here and I'll submit it for you.

Bill
Old 07-26-2003, 01:36 AM

Mein Auto: 525iT, Audi allroad
Thank you Bill.
I would have looked at it myself, but I'm in Europe now. I'll buy parts here and do the project when I come back in a few weeks. I'll post the pictures then.