Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: TBD
2010 X5 35d :: expecting any reliability issues?

Hi -

My husband and I are new to this forum and also are new to buying a BMW. We've been seriously considering getting the new X5 35d. But we are worried now after browsing through these forums and reading people's past experiences with older versions of the X5 and several different reliability issues.

Has anyone had any problems with their 2009 model?

Also, we're debating a lot if we get this car, if the extended warranty and maintenance plans are worth it. We've read lots of opinions on this, from 'get the maintenance if you drive over 20-25k/year' (which we're guessing we'll average 20k per year with my commute to work and visiting family in WI). Warranty ... seems most people recommend it, but wondering if there are other opinions?

Thanks for the help & advice,

"potential new BMW owners"
Ads by Google
Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I expect none. "issues" that is. Just the normal stuff. In terms of the X535d, the 2010 will be the last year and we can hope they've figured it out!

I am not a maintenance guy for two reasons: 1) I do a better job than BMW and I do it more often that BMW's paltry plan offers, and 2) Since I do my own it is much cheaper than paying their amazing prices for oil changes and brake service. The maintenance plan is masterful in that it 'ties' owners to the BMW service process... preventing them from finding alternatives.

On the other hand, I tend to like warranties- but then I am under the car pretty often and can bring a pretty thorough punch list in to ensure I get my money's worth.

A
Old 09-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
I've owned mine since January. I wouldn't own a BMW without a warranty. No real problems with mine. I've had a check engine light come on 3 times. Dealer re set the light three times, ordered the sensor 2 months ago. Part has been on back order? After the third time, they re set the light, the problem went away? No check engine light. Not happy about the parts availability, but the car drives and runs great...

Craig
Old 09-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
The X5 has below average reliability, but not horrible... just below average.

Automatic transmissions have been a rough spot for BMW; however, someone posted that a 2007 internal upgrade was made to improve the reliability.

As for an extended warranty, I would wait on it since you have 4 years from BMW. With no utility for an extended warranty for four years, why buy it now? You could decide to sell the X5, or even, heaven forbid, total it in an accident, before the four years of warranty are up.