Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325Xi
radio reception problems

ever since i bought my car a few months ago, i found that ive had a reception problem with my car. i read a few posts about how to set the radio properly and it is set in the right country, but asides from that, i dont even know why its getting such terrible reception. my old accord could get better reception then the BMW.

does anybody know what might be preventing it from getting good reception? and can somebody tell me what all those settings are for?
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2006, 12:53 AM

anybody?
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325Ci Convertible
I would like to know as well. my reception is horrible compared to either of my chevys. i'm thinking its because of the small crappy antennae.

dave.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Poor reception is something you learn to live with in the E46.

Depending on your build date, your car may be Sirius compatible, which is the best solution .
Old 02-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Bimmer driver

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci ZSP
I had this same problem before esp. with the AM band. I addressed this problem in this forum before and somebody led me to this solution: Open the driver side rear passenger pillar and jiggle (or disconnect and reconnect) the antenna cable connections. Since then my AM/FM reception has been great! Here's what the amplifier looks like:

http://www.openbmw.org/downloads/65%...0amplifier.pdf

I hope this helps... and post results...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 AM
BMW Apprentice

Mein Auto: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by daimos
I had this same problem before esp. with the AM band. I addressed this problem in this forum before and somebody led me to this solution: Open the driver side rear passenger pillar and jiggle (or disconnect and reconnect) the antenna cable connections. Since then my AM/FM reception has been great! Here's what the amplifier looks like:

I also had this same problem, particularly with the AM stations. When I took it to the stealer, they said that the E46 also uses the rear defrost lines as an antenna booster, and my defrost lines had a break in them. They replaced my rear windshield, and I haven't had a problem since... Might want to look into that. Otherwise, I agree with Kris... Sirius is the best solution.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 01 3301
I also had bad reception on 01 330i on AM band. Two things fix most of it. First BMW had the wrong amplifier in the car. Appears there are two for that model. This got me slightly better reception but still with static. Second I pulled the radio out of the dash and installed a ground wire from the radio housing directly to a ground on the dash. The multiple grounds BMW uses for the system are prone to creating a bad ground circuit. This stopped the static on AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: '02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPBB
I also had this same problem, particularly with the AM stations. When I took it to the stealer, they said that the E46 also uses the rear defrost lines as an antenna booster, and my defrost lines had a break in them. They replaced my rear windshield, and I haven't had a problem since... Might want to look into that. Otherwise, I agree with Kris... Sirius is the best solution.

this make alot of sense, i believe i am currently having the same situation. whenever i have my rear defrost on, reception sucks. i have problems at other times as well, but always when the defrost is on.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
BMW Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkendall
this make alot of sense, i believe i am currently having the same situation. whenever i have my rear defrost on, reception sucks. i have problems at other times as well, but always when the defrost is on.
If the reception gets worse when you turn on the defrost, that's a sure sign that the problem is in the rear window... You should probably get that checked out.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 AM

im just curious, if i were to call up the dealership and set up an appointment to get the radio problem fixed, would it be covered under warrenty? and on top of that, my radio occasionally has dead pixels, its stupid, but it doesnt bother me too much, would they replace it if it only happens occasionally?(and again, is it covered under warrenty?)
Old 02-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci
I have the same problem on my 2003 330ci, AM reception is marginal, but nonexistent when the rear window defrost is on. I took it to the dealer, and they have ordered a "diversity antenna" for the car. I believe this is the other type of amplifier referred to in an earlier post. If that doesn't cure the problem, they said they will replace the rear window.
Cheers,
Paul Kile
Old 02-12-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kile
I have the same problem on my 2003 330ci, AM reception is marginal, but nonexistent when the rear window defrost is on. I took it to the dealer, and they have ordered a "diversity antenna" for the car. I believe this is the other type of amplifier referred to in an earlier post. If that doesn't cure the problem, they said they will replace the rear window.
Cheers,
Paul Kile

was it covered under warrenty?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
BMW Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325XiE46
was it covered under warrenty?
When they replaced both my rear window, and Business CD head unit, it was covered under warranty.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i, 535i
At least our BMW's dont have HUGE antenna's like my old RX300, man I hated that antenna. lol
Old 02-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPBB
When they replaced both my rear window, and Business CD head unit, it was covered under warranty.
just out of curiosity, what was wrong with your head unit?

well, my situation as it stands is, i get very little to no reception on a majority of the stations. and to top that off, there are occasionally dead pixels on my head unit. if i were to bring it in, would they be able to charge me anything even to diagnose the problem?

chances are the settings on the head unit wont matter much as long as its set at the right region, which it is, so it might be the antenna in the back thats causing it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:54 AM
BMW Apprentice

Quote:
just out of curiosity, what was wrong with your head unit?

well, my situation as it stands is, i get very little to no reception on a majority of the stations. and to top that off, there are occasionally dead pixels on my head unit. if i were to bring it in, would they be able to charge me anything even to diagnose the problem?

chances are the settings on the head unit wont matter much as long as its set at the right region, which it is, so it might be the antenna in the back thats causing it.
I don't really remember what was wrong with the head unit... When they were trying to find out the source of the reception problem, they said they would replace the head unit and the rear windshield... They never really explained why.

If your car is still under warranty, they shouldn't charge you anything to look at it. Everything they do will be billed directly to BMWNA. You shouldn't have to pay a dime!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 AM
Happy Trails!

Mein Auto: 330xi
Quote:
im just curious, if i were to call up the dealership and set up an appointment to get the radio problem fixed, would it be covered under warrenty? and on top of that, my radio occasionally has dead pixels, its stupid, but it doesnt bother me too much, would they replace it if it only happens occasionally?(and again, is it covered under warrenty?)
My '04 had dead pixels last year; it was probably a bad solder joint, since half the display would progressively stop working as it got colder! After I showed him some pictures of what was happening, the dealer replaced the radio with no problem.

04 BMW 330xi 6spd w/Premium,Sport,Winter & Xenon (Sold, sniff)
02 BMW K1200RS moto
06 Pontiac GTO 6MT

RIP '99 BMW 528iT
Old 02-13-2006, 07:46 AM
AWD rocks

Mein Auto: '09 MB E350 AWD
Quote:
ever since i bought my car a few months ago, i found that ive had a reception problem with my car. i read a few posts about how to set the radio properly and it is set in the right country, but asides from that, i dont even know why its getting such terrible reception. my old accord could get better reception then the BMW.

does anybody know what might be preventing it from getting good reception? and can somebody tell me what all those settings are for?
have u read the many posts i wrote about this horrible prob? if not, do a search using my username. in summary, nothing can be done w/o getting away from the oem setup. the lobe solution would be to add an aftermarket antenna. btw, i did everything. had parts replaced and checked all connections. nothing worked. whenever i listen to am, i just try to have the rear froster off because that decreases the reception.

=========================
jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic
Missing my '02 325xi w/ manual trans

one good site: www.realoem.com
=========================

Last edited by jaisonline; 02-13-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330 CiC
Any Help for Convertible Users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimos View Post

This was a great suggestion. Problem is that it is for a Sedan. The Convertible has a different setup. Any idea where I could find similar diagrams for a 2003 BMW 330 CiC?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
You do realize this is a three and a half year old thread, and that of all the participants only ubergeek KrisL is still around?

2006 325Ci
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330Convert View Post
This was a great suggestion. Problem is that it is for a Sedan. The Convertible has a different setup. Any idea where I could find similar diagrams for a 2003 BMW 330 CiC?

Thanks!
Looks like it is in the trunk left side panel, under your rubber-ducky antenna.
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...nna_diversity/
Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330Xi
AM Radio reception. 2005 330xi

Old Thread. Still helping people.

I also found this page with pictures:
http://blog.bavauto.com/10056/bmw-po...-other-models/

Unplugged the little black connector from the singal amplifier to the rear window. Sprayed a small amount of a Deoxidizer solution. Plugged the connector back in and AM reception was restored.

Cost me $25 from local autoparts store for some plastic tools to removing the C panel plus some of the spray solution.

Suprised to find a weak link like this in a BMW, but was easy to fix.

Last edited by Mithral; 10-21-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328 is
Hello guys. I have a little problem with the radio too, I live in Europe and most of the radio channels at the end are 2, 4 , 6 ,8 ,0, how can I change my radio station so I can make may radio stop at those numbers? Any idea thank you very much to you all.