Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Fuel pump buzzing, bad idle

Hi everyone,

I'm a new owner of an '84 318i. I bought it being told it needed a new fuel pump, which buzzed when I took it for a test drive. I replaced the in-line pump (which was the one doing the buzzing) and got it home without too much trouble, but it wasn't idling well. After driving it for a day the fuel pump started buzzing again. I haven't driven it since.

So, currently its symptoms are: fuel pump buzzing, faint smell of gas while running, and bad idle. The bad idle isn't when first started, but not long after starting it will either go pretty low and jump back up or just die. The just die option happened more frequently when it was coming down from being at a higher rpm, such as shifting into neutral and not giving it any gas while driving it. The weird jumping has happened more right after a warm start.

I've tried to do as much research as I could before joining up here and starting a thread, and I'm thinking I either need a new fuel pressure regulator or a new transfer pump. I'm more inclined to think it's the fuel pressure regulator. I'm hoping to get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge really soon so I can test the fuel pressure regulator.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
could be items: fpr like you said, afm, could just need tune up, icv is clogged, and thats all i could think of.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:41 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
did u replace the in-tank pump... when the new one tries to compensate it will buzz

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
could be items: fpr like you said, afm, could just need tune up, icv is clogged, and thats all i could think of.
What's afm? I googled it but couldn't find anything.. I've thought about the icv and it seems like it could be a problem but I doubt it would be causing the buzzing in the fuel pump. Does that makes sense? Thanks for the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexceptions325 View Post
did u replace the in-tank pump... when the new one tries to compensate it will buzz
I've thought that might be the issue but I've already replace one unnecessarily so I want to be certain about what's wrong before I buy more parts. Hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of a fuel pressure gauge and that could point to the problem area.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownand1 View Post
What's afm? I googled it but couldn't find anything...
airflow meter. goes between the airbox and the intake manifold

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownand1 View Post
What's afm? I googled it but couldn't find anything.. I've thought about the icv and it seems like it could be a problem but I doubt it would be causing the buzzing in the fuel pump. Does that makes sense? Thanks for the response
the buzzing could be the silencer valve after the inline pump. its supposed to silence the buzzing of the fuel pump, but when it goes out, it makes the buzzing sound
Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethrty View Post
airflow meter. goes between the airbox and the intake manifold
Ah, okay. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
the buzzing could be the silencer valve after the inline pump. its supposed to silence the buzzing of the fuel pump, but when it goes out, it makes the buzzing sound
Huh.. I'll have to check that out. Do you know if a bad silencer valve would create any symptoms other than the fuel pump buzzing?

I've unfortunately had no luck at all finding a fuel pressure gauge to borrow from one of my friends.. I emailed one last guy (the one most likely to have it out of any, though) an hopefully he'll have one. So, no real progress since last week
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
you can just delete that silencer valve btw... i havent had mine for 2 years cuz it was making a ton of noise

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i