Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebellius View Post
No, it's not true! You don't need an Ipod to select tracks/playlists/genre. Any usb stick will allow you to do that.. You can scroll through, change songs, anything you did on the IPOD you can do on the USB stick. I ditched the IPOD, and I'm now using a 4 Gig USB stick.
Lets try it a different way. I have ordered the Logic7 upgraded stereo with my 335d. Downgrading to mp3 will lose playback quality. Once the decision to stay with an iPod has been made, then controlling the iPod requires a combination of iDrive and the iPod & USB adapter. To get iDrive requires the Navigation system option.

The iPod can be controlled without the Navigation system option, but there are reductions in capability. For example, with iDrive, the iPod can be set to play albums from the beginning of the collection to the end. Without iDrive, after each album finishes, you have to manually shift to the next album. The only way to set the iPod to playback from start to finish of the collection without the Navigation system would be with a playlist. If you are adding content to the iPod, you will have to update the playlist each time you add content. It is a convenience feature; but then again, many options are convenience features.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:17 PM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
The iPod does not support any formats that are better than MP3 TBH. High bitrate MP3 is just as good as AAC that you get from itunes and such, if not better as it can be less compressed than the stuff you get from the itunes store.

I do still have the iPod Adapter + iDrive in my car. Just how it came. I dont use the iPod adapter much, but it is nice if you already have an iPod all setup with your music and albums and such. Yes it is a premium charge, but it works well.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
The iPod does not support any formats that are better than MP3 TBH. High bitrate MP3 is just as good as AAC that you get from itunes and such, if not better as it can be less compressed than the stuff you get from the itunes store.

I do still have the iPod Adapter + iDrive in my car. Just how it came. I dont use the iPod adapter much, but it is nice if you already have an iPod all setup with your music and albums and such. Yes it is a premium charge, but it works well.
Which is what I presently have.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
couple of guys here race a 335d tonight? e92 335i black? Im calling you out bitches..

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebellius View Post
A far amount..40% or more? I admit it..I've got my foot stomped most of the time.

Those things suck (referring to the one on the passenger's side). I like my coffee. I'll try your suggestion for the metal holders...where do I get one of those?? As for currently, I don't want to have to hold it while I drive. Why is this so hard? All the American and Japanese brands figured it out...just put two cup holders in the middle of the car. end of story.

Thanks. I'm really hoping I can figure out a way to get the stiffer suspension without actually having to sell the car and buy another 335d.

No, it's not true! You don't need an Ipod to select tracks/playlists/genre. Any usb stick will allow you to do that.. You can scroll through, change songs, anything you did on the IPOD you can do on the USB stick. I ditched the IPOD, and I'm now using a 4 Gig USB stick.

You truly do not need to pay the extra $ 400 for the IPOD adapter. But if you really want to part with your money that bad, just email me and I'll be happy to take your $ 400 from you. I'll even send you a thank you card and an autographed photo of myself as a keepsake for you. I'll even throw in a 4 gig usb stick for you to plug into your new bimmer! And, if you act fast, I'll include express shipping at no cost to you! .
Er, you do realize you don't even get the USB slot in the center console unless you spec the Ipod option, right? If you don't order 6NF, you can't play music form a USB flash stick.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyffer View Post
couple of guys here race a 335d tonight? e92 335i black? Im calling you out bitches..
Not me for two reasons:
1. I don't own an E92 and
2. I am not located in your neck of the woods...
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330D SE auto
I'm in the UK. I have a 330D - man, it is a beast! The power is just incredible. Handling is superb. There are a few roads near me where I can safely pump up my adrenaline :-)

I have not regretted going to diesel. I'm getting better mpg in this 3 Litre than my old 1.6 Peugeot petrol !

I hope they bless you Americans with this car very soon!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Lets try it a different way. I have ordered the Logic7 upgraded stereo with my 335d. Downgrading to mp3 will lose playback quality. Once the decision to stay with an iPod has been made, then controlling the iPod requires a combination of iDrive and the iPod & USB adapter. To get iDrive requires the Navigation system option.

The iPod can be controlled without the Navigation system option, but there are reductions in capability. For example, with iDrive, the iPod can be set to play albums from the beginning of the collection to the end. Without iDrive, after each album finishes, you have to manually shift to the next album. The only way to set the iPod to playback from start to finish of the collection without the Navigation system would be with a playlist. If you are adding content to the iPod, you will have to update the playlist each time you add content. It is a convenience feature; but then again, many options are convenience features.

Actually, with a USB stick you can use a lossless format, which will sound much better than either MP3 or AAC.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly52 View Post
I'm in the UK. I have a 330D - man, it is a beast! The power is just incredible. Handling is superb. There are a few roads near me where I can safely pump up my adrenaline :-)

I have not regretted going to diesel. I'm getting better mpg in this 3 Litre than my old 1.6 Peugeot petrol !

I hope they bless you Americans with this car very soon!
thanks for your good wishes! this is the engine i would prefer (but WILL buy a dual-turbo if it is my only option ). i'd rather have the single turbo set up and the max torque is available over a wider rpm range.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
thanks for your good wishes! this is the engine i would prefer (but WILL buy a dual-turbo if it is my only option ). i'd rather have the single turbo set up and the max torque is available over a wider rpm range.
It will be interesting to see how far diesels get expanded through the BMW model line in the U.S. I also am curious to see how many different models of diesel engine BMW brings over to the U.S. For the moment, I have to be content to track the boat that is carrying my 335d as it makes its way across the Atlantic and down the coast of the Eastern U.S. on its way to the Panama Canal and beyond....
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Actually, with a USB stick you can use a lossless format, which will sound much better than either MP3 or AAC.
But then I have to go through the experience of moving everything that is on my iPod over to a memory stick. For the moment, inertia is more attractive than movement.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
But then I have to go through the experience of moving everything that is on my iPod over to a memory stick. For the moment, inertia is more attractive than movement.
Perfectly reasonable logic, to be honest. If I had an IPod loaded to gills with music, and was happy with how it sounded, there is no way I'd go through the effort to transfer it.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:39 PM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
Er, you do realize you don't even get the USB slot in the center console unless you spec the Ipod option, right? If you don't order 6NF, you can't play music form a USB flash stick.
You can still copy it over though via the glove box USB.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
...I just checked the Shell USA website (URL: http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa..._the_road.html ) and there was no listing of the Cetane rating for U.S. specification V-Power diesel. Whether that means that V-Power diesel in the U.S. doesn't conform to the Canadian specification, I don't know. But unless I can find a definitive statement in writing from Shell about Cetane specification for U.S. ULSD, I see no reason to pay additional for the fuel.
I've never seen v-power diesel in the US and the link you provided is only referring to v-power gasoline

found this spec sheet on V-power diesel. not sure if its only applies to the "racing": version of this fuel
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...sel_lm2409.pdf

Last edited by d geek; 10-05-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Sell's email reply on V-Power Diesel.

"David,

Shell diesel exceeds the federal (CGSB) minimum standard of 40 cetane. Canadian diesel fuels rate between 40 and 50 cetane. In some European countries, cetane typically exceeds 50. But such fuels also have higher cloud points that are not practical in severe Canadian winters.

The Shell V-Power Diesel's unique additive technology includes a cetane improver which helps offer quicker ignition and better cold-weather starting. The cetane level of Shell V-Power Diesel will vary depending on a number of factors such as season and sources, but it will always meet and exceed the CGSB standard of 40. Typical levels in Canada are in the 40 to 50 range and the cetane improver we add in Shell V-Power Diesel will raise that by approximately one to two numbers.

Thanks

Mahinda Ranaweera
Technical Services Lubes & Fuels
Shell Canada Products
400 4th Avenue S.W., P.O. Box 100 Station M, Calgary, Alberta T2P 2H5, Canada

Internet: http://www.shell.ca "

Looks to me that the Cetane rating is up to 50 only + 1~2 point more when added with the cetane improver.

Having paid over Can$60,000.00 for my 335D I'd go with the V-Power since others have found it does have some benefits in a quieter engine, smoother and cleaner engine.
If it lives up to Shell's claim of quicker ignition and better cold-weather starting then it's worth the few cents more per litre. If one can afford a $60K car, skimping on lower grade fuel doesn't make sense on such a high performance vehicle.
If it's a VW Jetta TDI I might not bother.

I want to have fun with the 335D so I might as well feed it with the right fuel...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
I've never seen v-power diesel in the US and the link you provided is only referring to v-power gasoline

found this spec sheet on V-power diesel. not sure if its only applies to the "racing": version of this fuel
http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re...sel_lm2409.pdf
I haven't seen Shell V-Power diesel for sale in the U.S. either. But just because I haven't seen it for sale, doesn't mean it isn't sold... I included the link because I couldn't find anything about V-Power diesel on the U.S. Shell site. Given the absence of infpormation on V-Power diesel on the U.S. site, it would seem reasonable to conclude that Shell doesn't sell the V-Power diesel in the U.S.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
"David,

Shell diesel exceeds the federal (CGSB) minimum standard of 40 cetane. Canadian diesel fuels rate between 40 and 50 cetane. In some European countries, cetane typically exceeds 50. But such fuels also have higher cloud points that are not practical in severe Canadian winters.

The Shell V-Power Diesel's unique additive technology includes a cetane improver which helps offer quicker ignition and better cold-weather starting. The cetane level of Shell V-Power Diesel will vary depending on a number of factors such as season and sources, but it will always meet and exceed the CGSB standard of 40. Typical levels in Canada are in the 40 to 50 range and the cetane improver we add in Shell V-Power Diesel will raise that by approximately one to two numbers.

Thanks

Mahinda Ranaweera
Shell Canada Products

Looks to me that the Cetane rating is up to 50 only + 1~2 point more when added with the cetane improver.

Having paid over Can$60,000.00 for my 335D I'd go with the V-Power since others have found it does have some benefits in a quieter engine, smoother and cleaner engine.
If it lives up to Shell's claim of quicker ignition and better cold-weather starting then it's worth the few cents more per litre. If one can afford a $60K car, skimping on lower grade fuel doesn't make sense on such a high performance vehicle.

I want to have fun with the 335D so I might as well feed it with the right fuel...
From the enclosed e-mail response, it seems that the Shell V-Power diesel is not that much different from the rest of the diesel sold in Canada. Depending on the price point, you might get better results from blending a product like Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost fuel supplement (URL: http://www.powerservice.com/dk/ ) with a major brand diesel....
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: M3 E92 / 540iT
Quote:
It will be interesting to see how far diesels get expanded through the BMW model line in the U.S. I also am curious to see how many different models of diesel engine BMW brings over to the U.S.
Given the need to meet CAFE mpg goals, 35.5 mpg by 2016, I expect BMW NA want, no, will have (1) to grow % diesels - 10-20% and (2) think they will bring some 4-cyl engines in - talk about back-to-the future, 1970s-80s.

BMW NA don't desire to go down this route because their product mix will be less profitable as margins are so much fatter on larger engined, higher hp, larger models. The X5 M and X6M may well be the most profitable cars in BMW's line-up (as the Cayenne is to Porsche AG).

If I could've ordered it my ideal DD would have been a 325d Touring. Enough power, fantastic mpg, and practicality.

Now over a year since the M3's ED. Was back in Europe this year and wish I could do it all over again (sans Customs audit!)
///M3 E92 6MT / FR extended | 19s | Premium | Tech | iPhone | premium sound / moonroof / heated seats / rear sunshade / smart phone / Euro deliv June
Current: M3 E92 | 335d Sport pkg '10

Last edited by voltigeur; 10-05-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
You can still copy it over though via the glove box USB.
True, but that limits you to 12 GB of files, and a relatively low quality MP3 format (I think I recall that it had to be 128 or less).
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
"David,

Thanks

Mahinda Ranaweera
Shell Canada Products

I'd like to see our Finnish friend Patrick respond to this. How severe are winters in Finland? What is the cetane level of winterized diesel in Finland, P? Is there anything done beyond normal winterization (which is sometimes only cutting D2 with kerosene)?

I agree that using Power Service (or any other brand name additive) can't hurt, but would go with the white bottle of PS, not Diesel Kleen (silver bottle) in the winter time.

DC-IT- you are absolutely correct in finding the best fuel available and using that on your 335d (same goes for any modern diesel- even the tdi )
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
BMW d Driver

Quote:
True, but that limits you to 12 GB of files, and a relatively low quality MP3 format (I think I recall that it had to be 128 or less).
I know it is not limited to 128 as I have some 192 tracks on mine.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I know it is not limited to 128 as I have some 192 tracks on mine.
I never said anything about total number of tracks. I'm talking about compression for MP3s. The glovebox transfer also does not support any loss less formats. So, the sound quality will always inferior to what you can achieve with a USB flash stick.

In any case, moot point because the earlier poster was discussing playing music directly from a flash.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:31 PM
BMW d Driver

I am talking about quality as well, I thought you meant it was limited to 128k MP3 files, I have 192k tracks on mine was my only comment.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by efhanover75 View Post
I take PCD of my 335D in November/December (depending on when it is built). I'm in.
Do you or any other d's have a PCD delivery date set? I'm taking X5 35d on 11/2 and wanted to see if I'll have any fellow d's there as well.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I am talking about quality as well, I thought you meant it was limited to 128k MP3 files, I have 192k tracks on mine was my only comment.
Sorry Grentz! I misunderstood. I appreciate the information.