Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 09-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i, Barbera Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cable View Post
HELP!!!

I have a real problem with my iPod and the '10 535i xDrive iDrive system. I have tried both our iPod's a new 64gb iPod Touch and an old 32gb iPod "classic" ...

Both of them work in our '08 528i iDrive, but NEITHER work in the new car with the new iDrive ... no device is recognised ... although I did manage to get it once to display "reading..." with the older device.

Since both iPod's seem to work in the older iDrive I have to assume that there is a problem in the new car/iDrive ...

anyone got any suggestions?

thanks
This is not good news. But there is a guy at BMW USA who may be able to give you the latest info on what BMW is doing to solve this problem. His name is Cody. His number is 800.831.1117 x6133. He told me last week BMW was working on general compatibility issues. Maybe he will have more specific info on the 2010 model. Please let us all know what you find out.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: '10 535i xDrive Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeee View Post
This is not good news. But there is a guy at BMW USA who may be able to give you the latest info on what BMW is doing to solve this problem. His name is Cody. His number is 800.831.1117 x6133. He told me last week BMW was working on general compatibility issues. Maybe he will have more specific info on the 2010 model. Please let us all know what you find out.
Thanks for the information, I will give him a call and post any updates to the list.

The bizarre thing is that both iPod's are being powered by the connection, and the AUX
analog audio works too, so it's not a physical connection fault. Also the glove box USB
has been proven to work too (I uploaded my ED route from a USB drive at the WELT)

So, given that both iPod's work via USB in an '08/'09 528i xDrive and neither appear
on the '10 iDrive, it looks suspiciously like a s/w incompatibility ...

I'll keep everyone posted, if anyone else has a new iDrive system and they have had
similar (or no) problems pls post ...
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the information, I will give him a call and post any updates to the list.

The bizarre thing is that both iPod's are being powered by the connection, and the AUX
analog audio works too, so it's not a physical connection fault. Also the glove box USB
has been proven to work too (I uploaded my ED route from a USB drive at the WELT)

So, given that both iPod's work via USB in an '08/'09 528i xDrive and neither appear
on the '10 iDrive, it looks suspiciously like a s/w incompatibility ...

I'll keep everyone posted, if anyone else has a new iDrive system and they have had
similar (or no) problems pls post ...
I spoke with Cody this PM ... he has not heard of any issue like mine on the new iDrive
system, especially since the devices are charging but are not being recognised by the
iDrive ...

I have the car booked into my dealer on Thursday ... I will update thereafter
Old 09-29-2009, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-Sport
The simplest problem ever

I already have the BMW kit for my ipod on my 2010 535 and I'm quite pleased the results. I stick my ipod down in the console and haven't taken it out since.

My dilema is my iPhone that I use for calls. All I want is a simple way to mount/store/hold the iPhone in the car during travel and provide a charge. That's it. No music, not intergration, etc, I have all that I need for music from my old-school iPod. But when I get in the car, I don't feel like I have a good place to store it and I'm frustrated with a sloppy wire from my vehicle power adapter.

Is there a simple mounting solution that's clean and simple to accomplish my goal? It looks like the spec.dock is the closest thing but much of the cost of that unit is tied up in the inegration capabilities which is overkill for my needs.
Member #368921
Become a member

2012 535i Titanium Silver, Black, M-Sport, Premium
2010 535i Jet Black, Dakota Brown, M-Sport, Premium (retired)
2005 X5 Jet Black, Dakota Brown, Premium (wife's car - retired)
2002 530i Black Saphire, Grey, Sport, Premium (retired)
2001 BMW 325i, Space Grey, Grey, Sport (retired)

Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
2010 535/I pod touch

Taking delivery Nov 2 with PCD. I am assuming that the appropriate cable comes with the car for the IPOD. (was reading some earlier threads, and you only have to supply the cable if you are doing an ED , if I read it correctly).

Also....for those who already have this vehicle...or may know......is there a max. size on music the I Drive will show? I have about 15g of music on IPOD Touch...and read somewhere here that there is a limit of 4 or 8g's?

Was also pondering if it would be simpler to just download the music to a flash drive, then upload it to the car? Again, what limitations are there on size?

Thanks for the help......

2011 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech, Premium Sound, Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Multi-contour Seats, Space Grey/Black

Totaled: 2010 X5 35D, Premium, Cold Weather, Nav, Tech Package, Premium Sound,Sat, Rear Climate Package, Roof Rails, Space Saver Spare, Space Grey/Black

Retired: 2007 530i Premium, Cold Weather, Step, Black Sapphire/black dakota
Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

SANYO-KATANA lx Works fine in both the 2010 535i and 2006 X3.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a MY 2007 530xi (first BMW, and very excited!!), and after reading through some of the posts regarding the iPod adapter I have some questions. The car does not currently have an iPod adapter, but I think I want to have one installed - just want some advice to find out if its really worth the $500+.

I have an iPhone, and it doesn't sound like the adapter will work to charge the unit, and doesn't function well as a music player either. What I'm thinking about doing is having a regular iPod connected to the glove box adapter all the time for music, and then having my iPhone connected via bluetooth for phone. FYI the car has NAV in case this helps tie everything together.

1) Will this layout work well with the iDrive/NAV, and resolve some of the functional issues? i.e. will the NAV function correctly while playing music though the adapter, and when a call comes in will the unit pause the music iPod while on the call and then resume when call ended?

2) Is it worth while invest ($500+ install + a dedicated iPod)?

3) Are there alternatives I don't know about?

4) Sounds like there may be a size limit to the amount of readable music - if so, what is it?

5) What is the best iPod for just sitting in the glove box and connecting to the head unit?

6) Is there a good way to "install the iPhone for charging and connecting to the roof antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
JG
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
I already have the BMW kit for my ipod on my 2010 535 and I'm quite pleased the results. I stick my ipod down in the console and haven't taken it out since.

My dilema is my iPhone that I use for calls. All I want is a simple way to mount/store/hold the iPhone in the car during travel and provide a charge. That's it. No music, not intergration, etc, I have all that I need for music from my old-school iPod. But when I get in the car, I don't feel like I have a good place to store it and I'm frustrated with a sloppy wire from my vehicle power adapter.

Is there a simple mounting solution that's clean and simple to accomplish my goal? It looks like the spec.dock is the closest thing but much of the cost of that unit is tied up in the inegration capabilities which is overkill for my needs.
Interactive, what iPod are you using in your 2010 535? And do you have the navigation system? I use a new iPod Touch and am just wondering if it will work in my new 535 I pick up next week. I am thinking of getting an iPod Nano to use in the car, and using the Touch only for my travel each week. If anyone knows these units will work I would like to know. I may head over to an Apple store in the new car and have them test the new Nano in it. That way I will know for sure before buying.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I spoke with Cody this PM ... he has not heard of any issue like mine on the new iDrive
system, especially since the devices are charging but are not being recognised by the
iDrive ...

I have the car booked into my dealer on Thursday ... I will update thereafter
OK here is the latest FYI, after several days in the shop and several reloads of the CCC
software, *and* a replacement CCC (iDrive) it appears that the actual problem may be
in either the connector and/or the cable from the center console to the iDrive...

The dealer is ordering the new parts from Germany, so we will see what transpires
when they replace that ....
Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Let me know what you find out please...I'm having the same problem....Aux works fine but the USB portion into the i-drive is not recognized....when I plug in the USB port it never shows up on my iDrive........

Thankyou!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Interactive, what iPod are you using in your 2010 535? And do you have the navigation system? I use a new iPod Touch and am just wondering if it will work in my new 535 I pick up next week. I am thinking of getting an iPod Nano to use in the car, and using the Touch only for my travel each week. If anyone knows these units will work I would like to know. I may head over to an Apple store in the new car and have them test the new Nano in it. That way I will know for sure before buying.
Mikeee

I use an iPod Touch 32 GB in my 2010 535. As best I can tell, it works fine (no complaints). The car was built this summer and, I think, has pretty close to the latest software. I've also connected my iPhone to the adapter cable, and although the iPhone complains about the cable, it still works fine to play music and send/receive calls. I think the iPhone has gotten confused once or twice, and had to be rebooted to link with the car, but I attribute that to the iPhone's software, rather than the BMW software.

You can always take your iPod to the dealer when you pick-up the car, it won't take but a few minutes to see whether it all works as you expect.

Regards,

Clyde

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 10-10-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcollins View Post
Let me know what you find out please...I'm having the same problem....Aux works fine but the USB portion into the i-drive is not recognized....when I plug in the USB port it never shows up on my iDrive........

Thankyou!
Yes it sounds like you have exactly the same problem as I do ... the best I can tell you
right now is that numerous re-loads of iDrive s/w and a change of the iDrive computer
itself (CCC) have not solved the problem.

The dealer is awating a cable/connector from BMW AG and will rewire it from the
center console to the iDrive, if it is in fact that (or not) I will report back as soon as
I know ...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 545i & 328xi
I have a problem with my used 04 545i i just purchased. I went to the Beverly Hills Dealer after reading some of these forums, to get either the AUX in or the Ipod. He said I can't get the AUX IN, and then he tried doing the ipod integration and said it was the wrong part and that he has to back order it from germany. He did however upgrade bluetooth (which works fine) and said the car is programmed for ipod. So now I'm left with a 6 disc changer that doesn't work, and no ipod or AUX In cable. I believe the car is a 1/2004 model. And I know there are issues with upgrading based on the month and year of the 2004 5 series... He said he'll call me when the part arrives and that its on backorder. (find it hard to believe)

My questions are.

1. Can I purchase the correct ipod adapter kit thru ebay or a 3rd party site and have them install it?

2. Can I still get an AUX IN? (ie does the dealer have no clue about this?)
Old 10-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
For sale brand new, in mint condition, original BMW Most Interface for iPod connection interface kit for car's made after 2003. It goes well with cars E90 E91 E92 E63 E64 E82 E88 E60, and many more. The part # 65110036446. Asking price - $250, as compared to $339 + taxes in stores.

iPodŽ Interface
Integrate your Apple iPod into the BMW audio system. Control and listen to your iPod music collection using your vehicle's iDrive, radio and steering wheel controls. Using the CD Changer mode on the iDrive or radio controls, you can access the functionality of your iPod. The interface is compatible with 3rd, 4th & 5th generation iPods, the iPod Classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod touch and the Apple iPhone. However, the interface is not compatible with the iPod shuffle. This device cannot be used in conjunction with the optional Six-Disc CD Player/Changer or factoryinstalled USB/iPod Interface.

Comes with standard manual for installation. Call for immediate pick up/ delivery - 713 884 5662.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftymo View Post
I have a problem with my used 04 545i i just purchased. I went to the Beverly Hills Dealer after reading some of these forums, to get either the AUX in or the Ipod. He said I can't get the AUX IN, and then he tried doing the ipod integration and said it was the wrong part and that he has to back order it from germany. He did however upgrade bluetooth (which works fine) and said the car is programmed for ipod. So now I'm left with a 6 disc changer that doesn't work, and no ipod or AUX In cable. I believe the car is a 1/2004 model. And I know there are issues with upgrading based on the month and year of the 2004 5 series... He said he'll call me when the part arrives and that its on backorder. (find it hard to believe)

My questions are.

1. Can I purchase the correct ipod adapter kit thru ebay or a 3rd party site and have them install it?

2. Can I still get an AUX IN? (ie does the dealer have no clue about this?)
Not sure about question 1, but I suggest you get a second opinion on question 2. I believe it is possible to install an AUX input in any E60.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 545i & 328xi
Thanks WJ. Nice car in your sig, mine's similar just a year older.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post

I had a similar situation with my '07 650. An elegant solution is offered by Pro Clip (http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home....EC_wnpoqHlCS1-). Their clips are car-dependent, while their mounts are device dependent. My iPhone sits in an adjustable, powered mount (can be sized for any sleeve), with the clip attached to the center dash vent. My older generation iPod lives in the glove box attached to the BMW cd emulator.

My only remaining issue is playing the iPhone's Pandora radio app---I'm addicted--through the aux input in the center console. For this I'll need to run a 3.5 mm m-m cable to the console from the Pro Clip mount. Then I'll be able to listen to Pandora on the aux iDrive input while listening to my iPod using the cd changer input. Of course, I could also listen to the iPhone's iPod via the aux input, but in this case, I wouldn't have the iPod info showin on the iDrive screen. The Dension solution in my allroad is better: one cradle handles both iPod and Pandora via the standard iPhone connector, but this requires hard wiring to the allroad's sound system.

Spyder
Old 10-18-2009, 11:56 AM

I just picked up my new 2010 535. It includes the iPod adaptor and all seems to work ok with my iPod Touch. Does anyone have a new, latest generation iPod Nano they are using with a 2010 535 w/ Nav system? I would like to keep the Touch for use when I travel and just put an inexpensive Nano in the car for music only. I have arrived at the airport and left the Touch in the car too many times. The Nano appears to have the same dock connection as the Nano and I can't find any information making me think it would not work in this car. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Sox Fan

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
12V Boostaroo

Anyone tried one of these yet? Just ordered one - the only little amp I could find that you can plug right into a cigarette lighter. I am hoping this will boost the volume of the ipod sufficiently when connected to the aux input in the car.

https://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=114
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcollins View Post

Thankyou!
Got my car back from the dealer yesterday finally with a working USB ...

the problem is apparently in the connector/wiring from the center console to the
iDrive unit, this had to be ordered from Germany and replaced.

you can contact tony danai @ BMW SF for more details tdamai@bmwsf.com
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545
The interface for my 2004 E60 works OK and sounds good but could be so much better for a car with so much technology. Like why can't you not play random songs by different artists in artist or album mode, it only will shuffle the folder you are currently in. The playlist has never worked either, as my playlists never show up under CD1. But my major annoyance and the question I have is, because you can only go 4 songs before you get the "tactile idrive resistance", is there any way to skip from A to Z or even G without fear of wearing out the idrive controller which I am sure is not a cheap fix or am I worrying for nothing when I skip down my song list controller fighting back every 4 songs.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Tamer

Mein Auto: 2006 523i
Hi ...I have a 2006 523i and I installed the iPod adapter at the dealer..I have a 160GB iPod classic and while everything is working fine, I can't see all my music on the display. It won't list all my artists (I think it stops at the "D" or something), and I can't see all my albums. Going through the forum, and similar ones, it seems like this has been a common problem. Does any solution exist at all for this terribly annoying problem?? I would really appreciate any help.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
I just got the ipod adapter install in my 2009 528i and it works great with my 80gig and my iphone. I see all my music. I just wish there was a way to see video. Any ideas?

I also install one of those proclips for my iphone and that thing is nice. My BMW does not have nav (which I still dont understand why you cant add it after it comes out of the factory) but with my iphone with gps app and the proclip, I dont even need to buy one of those portable gps.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Tamer

which iPod adapter did you get? the OEM or the dension?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Tamer

oh you must have the new iDrive then..it could be that the new iDrive has a higher capacity