Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Decision Time

It seems to be trendy to ask for opinions on X3 purchases here, so I'm jumping on the band wagon. Plus, I trust this forum and the wisdom of its members.

First, if you hate the 2007 AT, please skip this thread. I've read other threads and don't see it necessary to duplicate them here.

Tonight I found an 2007 AT that I really liked. Price is good, dealer is great/friendly, and the car is super clean. I just have a few hold ups that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. It has leatherette. It doesn't bother me but is the leather so amazing that I should wait until I can find an X3 with it in my price range?

2. No xenons. I really wanted xenons because they seem/look so cool. Again, are they tremendous enough that I should hold out? Can they be added after the fact?

3. The car is CPO with 40,000 miles. I inquired about maintenance extension and was quoted $1875, so I'd be fully covered until 100k or 2015. Is it worth it?

I have loved/researched the X3 for years and am excited I might be close to finally owning one. I just want to make sure I don't jump into the sale out of impatience.

Thanks, everyone.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2009, 06:47 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
1. It has leatherette. It doesn't bother me but is the leather so amazing that I should wait until I can find an X3 with it in my price range?

I prefer the leather over leatherette. I have heard the leatherette can crack in very cold climates. I don't know if I would call it amazing, but I prefer the natural stuff.
2. No xenons. I really wanted xenons because they seem/look so cool. Again, are they tremendous enough that I should hold out? Can they be added after the fact?

I don't have xenons either. I do on my 530xi. They are much nicer. Too expensive to do correctly after the fact for me. They are brighter and turn with the steering wheel for turns to help light the road. However, my halogens are still pretty bright. I would vote for xenons if you can get them.
3. The car is CPO with 40,000 miles. I inquired about maintenance extension and was quoted $1875, so I'd be fully covered until 100k or 2015. Is it worth it?

If you are handy and like working on cars, I would not do it. It is much cheaper to do the work yourself. Also, with the maintenance schedule, there won't be a lot done in that time. However, if you really don't feel like you can do the work, save yourself the aggravation and buy the contract.
I have loved/researched the X3 for years and am excited I might be close to finally owning one. I just want to make sure I don't jump into the sale out of impatience.

I would recommend testing one with/without leather and with/without xenons and decide from there. You should be able to find both options out there.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
This is personal opinion, from someone who has had both an '04 and and '08. Also, I should warn you that I think X3s are great. (Specific replies in bold below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX3 View Post
It seems to be trendy to ask for opinions on X3 purchases here, so I'm jumping on the band wagon. Plus, I trust this forum and the wisdom of its members.

First, if you hate the 2007 AT, please skip this thread. I've read other threads and don't see it necessary to duplicate them here.

Tonight I found an 2007 AT that I really liked. Price is good, dealer is great/friendly, and the car is super clean. I just have a few hold ups that hopefully you guys can help me with.

The leather is really nice. Cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter, and holds up better. Surprisingly, it has been easy to keep clean--grey in the 04, tan in the 08.

The 04 was my first vehicle with Xenons. If I had the option, I'd never go back.

Thanks, everyone.
Bottom line: either one (leather or xenons) would not be a deal-breaker for me, but missing both probably would be.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
It isn't about hating the 2007-2009 AT, it is about it being defective.

It isn't an OPINION Dave. That was the distinction I was trying to make.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 10-22-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
It isn't about hating the 2007-2009 AT, it is about it being defective.
I think you were still included in his first statement, PPXYZ

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-22-2009, 08:15 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Xenons are way better than Halogens. There is a significant difference imo, and they also look very cool.
The leather is very nice, holds up well, and is easy to care for. The leatherette is not nearly as nice.
My feeling is, you've waited this long and will probably keep it for a while. Don't grab the first thing that comes along unless it's right.
Look for leather at the very least, Xenons would be a nice plus.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
I didn't have xenons in my first X3.

I didn't know what I was missing until I got another X3 with them.

I won't buy another vehicle without them.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 10-22-2009, 08:47 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlengr View Post
i won't buy another vehicle without them.
+1!

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I purchased an '07 with leatherette and xenons at the beginning of the summer. Didn't get the extended maintenance (dealer was asking I think $2,100)

Here are my thoughts:

1. Leatherette's fine. Leather's nicer, but this is not a dealbreaker. I have black leatherette and was concerned it would be hot and sticky in the summer, but so far no problem at all. Haven't gone through a winter yet, so I don't know how much colder it gets.

2. Xenon's are great, especially if you have a significant amount of rural driving. If 95% or more of your driving is urban with city lights, not a dealbreaker. If less than that, or you just want the ability to have carefree night driving even on the rare occasions you're out in the boonies, hold out for xenons.

3. Extended maintenance can be purchased up to 49,999 miles, so you don't have to decide on this now. Of course, price could go up, and BMW could discontinue the whole program, but I still think it's better to wait until you have a driving history with the vehicle.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
1. I am perfectly happy with Sensatec, but other family members never let me forget that we should have opted for the real thing in a BMW.
(Don't let that happen to you!)
NOTE: It is fairly easy and not too expensive to switch to leather seating surfaces at a later date.

2. Xenons are definitely worth holding out for. Worth every penny, whether you drive a lot at night, or not so much.
NOTE: Adding them later is a formidable task and very expensive, as others have indicated.

3. If you know you are going to be putting a lot of miles on, and either don't have the time or ability to DIY,
and enjoy taking coffee and pastries in BMW customer lounges, extended maintenance can even provide a return on investment.
Especially if you can negotiate the price down, and labor rates continue their ascent over the next few years.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Xenon was a must for me on the X3, I could never go back to halogen.

I have leatherette, and hate it. Thats the only thing I wished my CPO'd X3 had. But I will do scrap yard and try to find a full leather interior.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
I'd hold on one just as you want it, it just takes patience. I recommend as said before "the real thing" mine has the Terracotta Montana Leather and I love it, it is pushing 5 years and it looks like new (with some very minor) traces of wear on the left bolster driver seat. And the smell is priceless.
I can leave with no Xenon's because the halogen are really good, and I don't do rural driving. Our e46 has them and I think they look pretty cool and gives the car and "updated" touch.

So, be patience and get what you REALLY want, after the fact is going to be too late.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks, guys. I knew I could count on all of you being a wealth of information. I'm taking your advice and waiting until I can find exactly what I want. The search (and the wait) continues.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyX3 View Post
Thanks, guys. I knew I could count on all of you being a wealth of information. I'm taking your advice and waiting until I can find exactly what I want. The search (and the wait) continues.
Wise choice Andy... I just bought an '06 w/32k mi on, and love, love it! Agreed on all counts, leather is a who really cares (BMW's leatherette is really decent), but mine has the adaptive xenons which as someone mentioned above follow your steering wheel in the direction car is going. Hold out for these xenons! Insist on a test drive at night! I have had many cars with xenons over the years, but never the adaptive. As was said... they're amazing to light the way ahead!!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Count me in as another who says to hold out for a car with Xenons. I've had halogen, halogen "projectors", angel eyes, etc., and since I think you can find a car with Xenons for the same price as one without, I would keep looking.

And leather is nice but I think other option packages, like Cold Weather, are worth considering and finding. Heated seats are great not just in cold climates. Here in NorCal, I use them after going to the gym on a cool evening. Keeps the back and legs warm just fine!

-pd.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
It is a buyer's market. Hold out for what you want. The leather interior and xenon lights will not add all that much to the cost of the car and are really nice to have. Make sure the car has seat heaters. I can't understand why BMW and Porsche make these an option. Lower mileage is also a big plus.

As far as the extended warranty, DIY maintenance savings is a non-issue. Plan on paying for some extra oil changes and other minor items. You need it in case something expensive goes wrong with the car. A single repair can easily exceed the cost of the insurance.