Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
2010 X5 35d Sport Activity Package

So the big question for me, is the 2010 Sport Activity Package worth it? Please chime in.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2009, 06:04 PM

Here is what I have so far. I had the Sport but thinking its not worth the extra couple grand. I was really going to get it for the Sports Seats over the Standard Seats but I added Multi Contour seats.

Titanium Silver Metallic
Black Nevada Leather
ZPP Premium Package
ZTP Technology Package
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
456 Multi-contour seats
494 Heated front seats
4AZ Dark Bamboo wood trim
655 Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Old 10-22-2009, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: '10 X5 diesel
I also passed on the adaptive drive, which is what I would have cared about. I ordered the multi-contour seats and heated seats, also. Personally, I'm thinking I'm just not going to drive the X5 like I did my car with sport. If money is no object, then, yes, it would be nice to have. I would recommend the ipod adapter if you're into that. I loved having that in my car.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:30 PM

For sure no for me on the adaptive drive which is no longer part of the Sports Activity Package. I was just trying to decide if the Sports Activity Package on its own was worth it, as its mostly just minor cosmetic differences.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
For me it was worth it. I love the sport seats, I like the steering wheel better, I like the rims more (and they're bigger), and I like the look of the dark headliner. The shadowline trim was a plus.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 4.6 X5
I didn't get the sports activity package because of the 19 inch wheels. I had 20 inch wheels on my 2002 x5 4.6, useless in the snow, and I assume the 19 inch wouldn't be much better. Love the other cosmetics though, tough decision. The adaptive drive, I was told, was best for offroading, which I don't do that much, and my sales person says it had a lot of problems.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Who else has an opinion? How did you order your 2010 X5?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun View Post

Well, it might be easiest to first list the options I didn't take, and why it didn't make sense for me:

Cold Weather package: I really did want the heated steering wheel, but I have no use for heated rear seats, and I have heard some people complain about the headlight washers needlessly messing up their hood with the spray. So I ordered just the heated front seats instead of the cold weather package.

Adaptive Drive: I would like to have this, but (a) $3,000+ takes the cost/benefit ratio out of my range, and (b) I keep my vehicles a long time, and the adaptive suspension is likely to have more problems, be very expensive to fix, and preclude the usage of non-BMW shocks down the road.

3rd row seat: No use for this, although if they offered the self-leveling rear suspension as an individual option, I might have considered that.

Premium Sound: I would have liked to get this, but again BMW bumped the price an extra $500+ by insisting a CD changer be included in the package. If Premium sound was available as an individual option around $1,000, I would have probably gotten it. But at $1,700, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Rear Climate package: Not having many passengers ever back there, no reason to get it.

Comfort access: A cool and convenient feature, but not worth it to me, considering the addition of one more thing that could go wrong with the locking and starting of the vehicle.

Then a couple of key options (to me):

Comfort seats: Quite expensive, but considering the time I will spend in them on trips, it seemed worth it to me. An old guy once gave me a piece of advice... "You spend most of your life either in bed or wearing shoes, so don't skimp on either of those." I guess you could add vehicles seats to those two and cover a good percentage of your lifetime!

Tech package: I debated about this as the nav is terribly overpriced, but (a) a Nav system integrated with the audio system, which you don't have to pack away every time you stop and leave the car, and which will automatically override the radio/music when it announces upcoming turns, is a real convenience, and (b) without the tech package, you get a smaller i-drive screen. Throw-in the other goodies like the top view camera, voice control, etc. and it seemed to make sense.

Now, I know that I have contradicted myself in (a) saying I don't want some stuff because of additional complexity, meaning more potential problems and repair costs down the road, and then (b) adding stuff like the technology package. I plead guilty; however, it again is a persona trade-off of the value you see in what something does, and the added cost and potential for problems down the road due to the added complexity.

Anyway, FWIW, that how I ended-up with my particular option mix.

Last edited by Penguin; 10-23-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Good post
Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Well, it might be easiest to first list the options I didn't take, and why it didn't make sense for me:

Cold Weather package: I really did want the heated steering wheel, but I have no use for heated rear seats, and I have heard some people complain about the headlight washers needlessly messing up their hood with the spray. So I ordered just the heated front seats instead of the cold weather package.

Adaptive Drive: I would like to have this, but (a) $3,000+ takes the cost/benefit ratio out of my range, and (b) I keep my vehicles a long time, and the adaptive suspension is likely to have more problems, be very expensive to fix, and preclude the usage of non-BMW shocks down the road.

3rd row seat: No use for this, although if they offered the self-leveling rear suspension as an individual option, I might have considered that.

Premium Sound: I would have liked to get this, but again BMW bumped the price an extra $500+ by insisting a CD changer be included in the package. If Premium sound was available as an individual option around $1,000, I would have probably gotten it. But at $1,700, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Rear Climate package: Not having many passengers ever back there, no reason to get it.

Comfort access: A cool and convenient feature, but not worth it to me, considering the addition of one more thing that could go wrong with the locking and starting of the vehicle.

Then a couple of key options (to me):

Comfort seats: Quite expensive, but considering the time I will spend in them on trips, it seemed worth it to me. An old guy once gave me a piece of advice... "You spend most of your life either in bed or wearing shoes, so don't skimp on either of those." I guess you could add vehicles seats to those two and cover a good percentage of your lifetime!

Tech package: I debated about this as the nav is terribly overpriced, but (a) a Nav system integrated with the audio system, which you don't have to pack away every time you stop and leave the car, and which will automatically override the radio/music when it announces upcoming turns, is a real convenience, and (b) without the tech package, you get a smaller i-drive screen. Throw-in the other goodies like the top view camera, voice control, etc. and it seemed to make sense.

Now, I know that I have contradicted myself in (a) saying I don't want some stuff because of additional complexity, meaning more potential problems and repair costs down the road, and then (b) adding stuff like the technology package. I plead guilty; however, it again is a persona trade-off of the value you see in what something does, and the added cost and potential for problems down the road due to the added complexity.

Anyway, FWIW, that how I ended-up with my particular option mix.
Interesting.

I suppose it all boils down to "gotta draw a line somewhere!"

Re: Keeping cars a long time... just replaced the transmission- original- in my MDX this past week, and literally doing the valve adjustment tonight... 205,000 miles. It's gonna be the kids car now.

Back to the garage!

A
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I suppose it all boils down to "gotta draw a line somewhere!" A
Yeah, that's probably a more concise way to state it!
Old 10-24-2009, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: Saab 9-5
If I could afford only one option, I'd get the Adaptive Drive. After driving the X5 with and and without, it became a must have.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Did I mention this X5 is for my wife I have a 335I for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:52 AM

Lucky you. In my house, I have to drive the practical vehicle.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson11 View Post
Lucky you. In my house, I have to drive the practical vehicle.
I'm sure ill be in the same boat soon, the 335I lease is up soon.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
Penguin, great response. Now what about your take on the activity package (you know, the topic of the thread)?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaX3 View Post
Penguin, great response. Now what about your take on the activity package (you know, the topic of the thread)?
True would be nice to get feedback on the original topic.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun View Post
35d
vermillion red
adaptive drive
space saver
running boards
roof rails
multi-contour seats
bamboo
head-up display
satelite
ipod & USB
smartphone
sport activity
cold weather
premium pkg
rear climate
technology

After reading recent posts, I regret ordering smartphone.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaX3 View Post

As quoted in my message, I was responding to SanDiegoShaun's follow-up question of "How did you order your 2010 X5?"

But, as for the Sports Activity Package, it offered little positive, and some negative, to me, so I didn't get it.

(a) I prefer 18 inch wheels to 19 inch.

(b) Since I am getting Comfort Seats, paying for the the Sport Seats option is just wasted money.

(c) I personally abhor the looks off the Anthracite headliner, as I think it looks out of place. (Others love it, it's a matter of personal taste).

I wouldn't mind the shawdowline external trim, but $2,000+ seems a lot to pay.