Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
X5d vs VW Touareg2 diesel

My 08 3.0 at 41,800k is reaching the end of its warranty and I am looking at options. It has surprisingly solid trade/sale value, and I am looking at moving to a new diesel. The candidates are the X5d and the Touareg2 diesel. One of the appeals of the latter is, " and now for something completely different," to borrow a phrase from Monte Python. Another is the increasing sense I have that, although BMW builds good products, it has lost some significant degree of integrity and post-sale customer orientation--for example, its shameful response to the premature auto trans problems to early 2000 3- series cars. Comments on the Touareg or other aspects of the above?
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
The VW has won at least one recent comparison test (?Motortrend) that I recall and is a good value but it does not excite like the/a BMW from my perspective.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The Q7 diesel might be a better fit, given they have three rows like the X5. The ML and GL also offer diesel. The new improved T-egg II is supposed to be vastly better than the original in terms of reliablity etc. They do have a great interior too IMHO.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
My two cents........I have never owned a TDI but I have owned both vehicles and I think you are better off with the BMW. I had a 2002 X5, when I got rid of that I picked up a new 2006 touareg V6. Although they are comparable in many ways, the maintenance on the touareg extremely expensive and they have the worst service. In my opinion BMW ultimate service is the deciding factor which is why I am picking up my 2010 X5 on Friday. Like I said, the Touareg was nice and compared well to the X5 bit isn't a BMW.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
I've had a part on order for 3 months with BMW for a check engine light. I wouldn't say BMW's service is great. I had to put a call into BMWNA 2 weeks ago to ask where my part is. That's unacceptable in my opinion... The only problem I've had with mine is a check engine light that's been on for the last 3 months.

Craig
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I had to put a call into BMWNA 2 weeks ago to ask where my part is. That's unacceptable in my opinion...Craig

What did BMWNA say?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I've had a part on order for 3 months with BMW for a check engine light. I wouldn't say BMW's service is great. I had to put a call into BMWNA 2 weeks ago to ask where my part is. That's unacceptable in my opinion... The only problem I've had with mine is a check engine light that's been on for the last 3 months.

Craig
What part? Part number?

Certainly 3 months is unacceptable, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. ...

Here in CA I'd bet that driving around with the CEL effectively disabled (ie on all the time, no way to tell when a new code is set) is a violation of some regulation. If you were in a loaner rest assured it wouldn't have been three months...

If your point is "I shouldn't have to complain" you are absolutely right. And waiting.

A
Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 xdrive28i
Quote:

Craig
I guess I am lucky, my local BMW service center is great. They are very responsive. One big plus with BMW is the use of a loaner when you bring in your vehicle for service. No such luck with VW no matter what you are bringing it in for.

I just looked at the VW site and they are now doing a similare maintenance program called Carefree Maintenance but I am sure it isn't as extensive as BMW Ultimate service
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
What did BMWNA say?
I called BMWNA and had a case manager open a case two weeks ago. She called back in two days to tell me the part will be here in 10-14 working days. My part was ordered by my local dealership Aug. 4th. The part is an air temp. sensor. Sorry, I don't have the part number. About 3 weeks ago my dealer re-ordered the part as critical. I'm tired of waiting for the part. I find it unacceptable....

Craig
Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Well, Jerry reports he is getting his new engine "sometime this week", so the parts system does apparently work so hang in there!
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Well, Jerry reports he is getting his new engine "sometime this week", so the parts system does apparently work so hang in there!
Thanks, maybe they ship parts in the trunk of cars coming over from Germany. I can't explain why it's taking them so long to get this part to my local dealer...

Craig
Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
I can't explain why it's taking them so long to get this part to my local dealer...

Craig

Sometimes a part goes bad because there is a bad batch or a design error. So the demand might be very high if they are seeing a lot of failures. If they have identified a flaw and made a change in design, often they will wait until the new design version is out, particularly if it is not a part that takes the "Vehicle Off Road." I'm not 100% sure about the terminology, but I believe the high-priority code for a BMW parts order is "VOR," meaning the vehicle is not operable until the repair part is obtained.

I needed a $900 final drive for my K75S motorcycle a few years ago and the parts guy said he put a VOR code on the order, which resulted in it being airfreighted from Germany.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Thanks, maybe they ship parts in the trunk of cars coming over from Germany. I can't explain why it's taking them so long to get this part to my local dealer...

Craig
I'd be taking a LONG test drive in a demo car, maybe the old lady could distract the CA, pop the hood.... and that would solve my problem!

A
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
T2 clone review:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091...312/1148/rss25
Old 10-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: Audi R8, RS4 cab, X5 35d
Had the opportunity to take an extended drive in a T-Reg TDI and was most impressed. Engine is much smoother and quieter than my 35d. I'd say performance "feels" about the same. Pulls like crazy off the line just like the 35d. Size is a little smaller, but still very good for 5 when needed. Electronics (Nav, Stereo) much better than the i-drive stuff. I have not seen the new 2010 update to the electronics, so this may not be as much of an issue.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Did you happen to note the wheel size? I am wondering about the harshness of 19 inch wheels and tires with an AR of 45.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharnet View Post
Did you happen to note the wheel size? I am wondering about the harshness of 19 inch wheels and tires with an AR of 45.
It's probably not harsh at all. From all that I've read, the Touareg is rather softly sprung with the standard coils.