Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
XM and Ipod working together?

I recently purchased an XM Direct Kit and Dice Silverline from EAS. I was told over the phone that these would work fine together. It has become painfully obvious that this is not the case. The XM works great but no such luck on the Dice. I've talked to Dice and they are looking into it and I've called EAS tech support multiple times but get pushed to the technicians voicemail every time.

Anybody have any experience getting both modules to work together? Is there some special harness for this?
Ads by Google
Old 10-17-2009, 06:54 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
I have both and they both work. My X3 has the sat pre-wiring. I have the XM direct with pass thru, and the dice connected to the pass thru (using sat pre-wiring). Not sure why you are having a problem. Are you using the CD changer wiring, or the sat pre-wiring?

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-17-2009, 07:58 PM

I also have sat pre wire. What is the "pass thru"? The harness I got from EAS for the Dice goes behind the radio and is called the R40 harness. It is basically a bypass and has the Dice connection hooked up to it. The XM is hooked up in the trunk to the wires that are bundled with the shark fin wires. Not sure if these are the Changer or Sat wires.

Do you have the Dice module hooked up to the CD changer in the arm rest?
Old 10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Let me clarify. I have the XM Direct module with Pass Thru. This means that oem connectors to the XM Direct unit, are made available again. The XM Direct has both BMW oem inputs and another set of plugs like the ones going into it. That is what I mean by pass thru. The XM Direct is connected to the sat pre-wiring, and the dice is connected to the plugs coming out of the XM direct. You are connecting 2 devices to the sat pre-wiring connectors. Hope this helps.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Ah! I see I did not know there was second version of the XM Direct. Makes sense. I think I might just return the Dice product since I'd be spending another couple bucks just to get it to work, and frankly I still have not heard anything from either service dept. Customer service is dead.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Dice cust service is VERY poor imo. The product does not function as well as advertised. Aux input is about as good a solution.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Can I run an Aux input with the older XM Direct or do I need the pass thru unit?

BTW, thanks for all your help!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
Dice cust service is VERY poor imo. The product does not function as well as advertised. Aux input is about as good a solution.
AUX is all I use now. My iphone has Satellite, Pandora and an IPOD function, so I have all the music choices I could ever want available to me. I was so impressed I am adding AUX to my wife's 530xi this week. She has satellite already, but this will let me plug in my iphone and listen to the IPOD and Pandora application.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 AM

So EAS came through in a big way after I requested an RMA. They are sending me the pass thru harness to put in the trunk. Hopefully this will get me rolling, if not Aux it is!
Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunneroi View Post
So EAS came through in a big way after I requested an RMA. They are sending me the pass thru harness to put in the trunk. Hopefully this will get me rolling, if not Aux it is!
EAS has excellent customer service imo. Hope it works out for you.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM

Finally got sound with the Dice unit. Problem I'm having now is that it randomly switches back over to XM or it won't recognize the Ipod every so often.

I'll play with it some more.

BTW, its hooked up with the pass thru on the blitz safe.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunneroi View Post
Finally got sound with the Dice unit. Problem I'm having now is that it randomly switches back over to XM or it won't recognize the Ipod every so often.

I'll play with it some more.

BTW, its hooked up with the pass thru on the blitz safe.
Yup. Mine randomly switches to FM. I tried calling DICE tech support and emailing them when I first got the unit for other issues. I finally gave up, and now use the dice in unlocked mode. I'm using the ipod controls and only using the Dice for audio. The radio display just says Track 01. I find the sound quality better because I don't have to crank up the volume on the ipod like I did using Aux input. There is a clicking sound that can be heard during quiet passages. With my 2nd gen iPod touch, the iPod does not even charge anymore. I need a new cable for the Dice. I figure the X3 lease is up in M, so I'll hold off on the cable.ay

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks. I'll try fooling with the switches.

It blows my mind that somebody can't make a module that really works well.