Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Thanks for the info, guys.

I almost got the LeatherZ kit before Fixit Day, but opted to get new tires instead.

I would LOVE to see a comparison of the two devices side by side...
Old 06-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Mein Auto: 03 jet blk SMG ///M3
For a complete update, click the original link!

Jim Powell is currently getting a handle on the details of this project, and has verified that this will work and will happen.

Quoted from Jim Powell:
Update: June 9, 2003 (Post #67)

It's gonna work

I took apart and modified a light from a '96 Z3. I don't know how many variations there are but I need to look at them all. People, if you have a busted headlight in your posession, I'll pay shipping to get it for dissection.

I have to go by BMW tomorrow and see what all of the part numbers are. I also need to ensure that lights are symmetrical at the reflector level. This is mucho importante.

Ok so what does it look like?

Specifics:

The glass on the low beam side goes away and is replaced by a CNC machined bezel. This is where Neil, the graphic artist, comes into the picture.
The stock levelling system is retained and works with the projectors
Everything fits into the original footprint of the headlight. No interference issues at all.

I'm waiting for the graphic designer to stop by, hopefully tonight, if he can get away from another project. I need him to make the design in 3 dimensional graphics so the mechanical engineers can code it for the mills. If I can get him to do a full on drawing of the design in a headlight, I'll post pictures of it for review.

We are still about 30 days away from a prototype but IT IS GOING TO WORK!!!

And it won't be that much money. Actually, this was surprisingly easy.

As noted from the specifics, the design will be an oem quality and a worthy upgrade. I can hardly wait!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Well, we now have a rough ide of what the prototype will look like. Click the original link, and on page 4, you can find a picture of the actual projector and surround photoshopped into an M/Z3 headlight.

Expect a working prototype in the next couple weeks!
If you have any feedback or opions, please post it here or over on bimmerfourms.

Old 06-25-2003, 07:00 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

More pics photoshopped onto the car and posted yesterday. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

If you want DDEs on the setup, that will be an option as well. There is a pic on page 2 of the following thread that demonstrates roughly what the projector will look like with DDE installed.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...hreadid=109513
Old 07-31-2003, 07:14 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

OK, we have pricing!

This is straight from Matt and Umnitza:
Pricing for the kit for the first 25 participants will be $585 +
shipping.
After that, the price will be $675 + shipping for

We will need a $75 deposit to confirm places. I will be sending a
blast
email to all shortly.

What is included?

2 new mounting brackets to replace the interior Z3 reflectors
2 new black bezels that replace the glass lenses
All required mounting hardware
2 Hella H9 low beam projectors (3200 combined lumens -vs- ~1000
combined
for stock 9006)
2 Hella H9 high beam reflector units that visually match the projectors
(same lumens differentiation)
2 Plug-n-Play wiring harnesses to convert 9006/9005 to H9
Complete installation instructions (video too)

Optional

DDE (can be added later)
Installation - THIS IS PRE-INSTALLATION and is $100.
New Z3 Euro Clear corner headlights

üm•nitza inc.
Matt Grintsaig
925.683.5777 c
925.736.8986 h
720.294.3335 f

Feel free to post, pm, or call with any of your questions! We are now taking deposits, and the first 25 people get the discount!

Last edited by PDX M Coupe; 07-31-2003 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:18 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
What about meeting the Federal standards for replacement headlights?

Buy now, NHTSA may be after your retrofit kits.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
What about meeting the Federal standards for replacement headlights?

Buy now, NHTSA may be after your retrofit kits.
Why would the NHTSA be after these kits? Read the list above, it says nothing about H9 HID bulbs.

This is a modification to the existing headlight, and the bulbs meet all standards as required. The H9 projectors are DOT approved.

right back at ya brother.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:43 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX M Coupe
Why would the NHTSA be after these kits? Read the list above, it says nothing about H9 HID bulbs.

This is a modification to the existing headlight, and the bulbs meet all standards as required. The H9 projectors are DOT approved.

right back at ya brother.
Read the standard. For replacement lighting the filments must be in the same place as the original filiment. Since HIDs don't have filiments they CAN'T meet the standard.

The projector may be approved, but not in the Z3 headlights.

Unless you want to test the whole assembly and certify it to the standard.

Quote: taken from Federal Register: July 17, 2003 (Volume 68, Number 137)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Further, the specific requirements of Standard No. 108 that apply to an item of replacement equipment are determined by reference to the original equipment being replaced and the vehicle for which it was designed.

As we have stated before, the replacement item must conform to the standard in the same manner as the original equipment for which the vehicle manufacturer certified compliance. See our February 4, 2002
letter to Mr. Daniel Watt. See also our March 13, 2003 letter to Mr. Galen Chen.

Thus, replacement lamps must conform to the standard in the same manner as the original equipment lamp on the vehicle as certified by the vehicle manufacturer. Each vehicle is certified to Standard No. 108 using a particular light source for a particular lamp. The lamp's ability to meet the standard's requirements with that light source is an inherent part of the certification.

Therefore, a lamp manufactured to replace the lamp must meet Standard No. 108's requirements using that light source, in order to be designed to conform to the standard. We would use the same light source in testing a replacement lamp for compliance with Standard No. 108 as was used by the vehicle manufacturer for the original lamp in certifying the vehicle's compliance with the standard.
Further, we note that the lighting systems and overall electrical systems of vehicles are designed with specific light sources in mind, both to ensure proper beam patterns, levels of brightness and electrical performance, and to avoid overloads and risk of fire. In the owner's manual, vehicle manufacturers advise owners what replacement bulbs to use. If a replacement lamp were designed to use a different light source from that used in the original equipment lamp, it might not work properly, or at all, with the original equipment bulb or with the replacement bulbs specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Moreover, use of a different light source might also adversely affect the performance of the
vehicle's overall lighting and electrical systems, and possibly cause overloads and risk of fire.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 08-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Read the standard. For replacement lighting the filments must be in the same place as the original filiment. Since HIDs don't have filiments they CAN'T meet the standard.

The projector may be approved, but not in the Z3 headlights.

Unless you want to test the whole assembly and certify it to the standard.

Pincecone, this system does not contain an HID bulb. I have posted that twice now, but you refuse to understand that. I know all about the NHTSA standards, and the knew attempted ban on HID aftermarket systems has nothing to do with this projecter setup because the H9 bulbs that come with it are NOT HIDs. The whole system will be setup to be without glare and proper aiming.