Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Bass Ackwards

Well they SAV is in for its 15k service and they are correcting some things and doing the maintenance.

I decided to ask them to update the vehicle to auto lock at 15 mph. Personally I like the iDrive systems since I prefer to have control over things, and not be beholden to others for simple changes.

Well (I know I am going to hear told ya' so) they told me they were unable to update the firmware change because I had changed out the radio and their system through up errors.

I really find it hard to believe that any company would wire their OBD in series with the car stereo. Talk about a point of failure.

So this means that if your car stereo takes a voltage hit and the logic circuit toasts you car could be dead in the water with updates.

I bring this up for these reasons:
  • If your radio fails get it taken care of right away.
  • If you change out your radio, get your updates done before hand, Lol.
  • Keep your oem radio to put back in place once you sell it.
  • If you have electronic gremlins--look to the radio.

Essentially, another heads up for all out there.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
You're only up to 15K?
Thanks for the info.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3ronnie View Post
You're only up to 15K?
Thanks for the info.
Not even that. I got this X3 about 6 months after I got my new X3. Went from bumper to bumper traffic in DC 30 miles one way to 3.6 miles one way.

It is now 17 months old, give or take a week.

Already plotting its replacement in late 2011 early 2012. If the new x3 is a marked improvement I will get one. If not I will step into a 335 xi (provided they fix the darn pump problem).

"Scotty, I need more power. But, Cap'n I'm given it all she's got".
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
In BMWs (and most European technology), almost everything is linked to everything. Given that when you change the clock in the Board Computer, the radio clock synchronises, I'm not surprised of the connection.

Another case in point: When my independent shop installed the wrong wheel bearing (the part was wrong, and just a couple millimetres off spec), my X3 went into limp mode as I drove off from the parking space at the garage. The transmission went into fail safe mode, DSC, xDrive, and ABS all failed. Error codes galore. Because of a wheel bearing.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
I really find it hard to believe that any company would wire their OBD in series with the car stereo. Talk about a point of failure.

So this means that if your car stereo takes a voltage hit and the logic circuit toasts you car could be dead in the water with updates.
That is a really bad engineering design, if it's true. I would assume the on board computer will throw a ton of errors too if the stereo is changed. How come the after market stereo manufacturer don't sue BMW?

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
Just a little more to push me away from BMW for my next vehicle.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone
Old 10-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
In BMWs (and most European technology), almost everything is linked to everything. Given that when you change the clock in the Board Computer, the radio clock synchronises, I'm not surprised of the connection.

Another case in point: When my independent shop installed the wrong wheel bearing (the part was wrong, and just a couple millimetres off spec), my X3 went into limp mode as I drove off from the parking space at the garage. The transmission went into fail safe mode, DSC, xDrive, and ABS all failed. Error codes galore. Because of a wheel bearing.
I am! They could have run things in a parallel circuit and not in series. It is one thing to notify you there is an error, but to prevent other features from happening is a point of failure. And by simple definitions a bad design.

You NEVER design an electrical circuit this way if you can.

However, its something I can easily remedy. I feel sorry for those that have someone else do the work for them. And that is why I wanted to notify people of this circumstance.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7