Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
MINI production at Regensburg?

Andrew*Debbie
resU deretsigeR

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Andrew*Debbie

An article in last Sunday's Independent says BMW will be building some MINI models at Regensburg rather then expand Plant Oxford.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...y-1797239.html

Quote:
Cowley, the Oxford plant that is one of the UK's biggest remaining car factories, cannot meet demand for all the new vehicles, including the new Coupe and the Roadster. It builds around 200,000 cars annually but the launch of the new Minis means the plant will soon exhaust capacity and a new production line will be needed.

Mini's owner, BMW, is thought to be looking at production at its state-of-the-art Regensburg plant where three million BMWs have now been assembled by its 10,000 workers. It is likely to add capacity there rather than in Oxford because of currency exchange rates and other costs that will make it more competitive.
Quote:
Frank-Peter Arndt, BMW's head of car production, said: "In the longer term, given the strong growth of the Mini brand, we will have to think about a further production site. We could imagine a German factory for the production of Mini-based models."
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
This article has been viewed 2376 times.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 PM
535i M-Sport ED May 2011

Mein Auto: '11 M-Spt 535i & '04 SLK
Mini from Germany

Can European Delivery be far behind? !!!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:25 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
There have been rumors for years. At one point there was an FAQ on the MINI USA website. An occasional Mini was spotted at the old Kundenzentrum Freimann. Those all turned out to be european models and not American ED cars. When BMW closed the London drop-off I knew Oxford delivery was was never going to happen. Too bad.

My guess why BMW hasn't offered Oxford pickup. There isn't enough hidden markup on the MINI to make it easy for BMW to offer 7% off. The FAQ on the MINI website mentioned difficulties providing insurance. The DVLA offer tax free-plates similar to the German Ausfuhrkennzeichen.

What about Munich pickup? It would be hard to deal with only offering Munich pickup for cars built at Regensburg. The majority of MINIs will still be assembled at Plant Oxford. BMW could ship them to Munich. Does anyone know if they can issue Ausfuhrkennzeichen for cars built in the UK?
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 10-31-2009 at 06:12 AM.