Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Try to answer a few questions---on adding a vacuum pump for more power---thats what all modern dragsters do today--the link I had above will show that this very idea is coming of age for muscle cars also--30 horses for that old pontiac ain't bad--expensive but it's pretty good--It's correct that some will add an electric vac pump to drive the brake booster and such---but there are vacuum pump added to the engine as well to evacuate blowby and seal up the bottom end of the engines to make more power--need to read more google search some.

As for the air leak in my engine--I removed the set up on Sunday to check for an air leak through the system--I hooked my vacuum pump up to the valve cover and pumped it up to 20 lbs--it held for thirty seconds and then I released the vacuum---I don't think there's an air leak --even if you want to call it blowby---I had another code come up before this one--it was low fuel pressure--that may have something to do with the other code that poped up

Now for the idea that my valve seals are gone--that may be but--I have a feeling thats not the problem
I have dealt with many cars in my 57 years--I have never seen a car with bad valve seals that cranked up
in the AM that didn't smoke hard when first cranked--this car has never smoked when first cranked -- bad valve seals and stems will allow one to smoke at idle--cars never done that--I hope that this isn't hurting the engine--but as stated--it's going to fix the problem or a newer used engine is going in.

CN90 --the hose that goes to the intake from my valve cover is about 10 inches long--it's just long enough to go over to the distribution unit on top of the intake and hook up---this intake system is the newer type on the M54 engine.
With all the ccv changes that I have performed on this car--none of them ever allowed oil back down into the crankcase from the drain hose going to the dipstick tube---looks like this thread is starting a bunch to noodle about out there---all help is app. Thanks

Last edited by poolman; 10-27-2009 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Poolman,

I have an M52 engine but anyway the M54 is similar.
The point I tried to make is that as long as you build an uphill climb or U-turn on the Valve Cover Outlet, then you are OK.
Oil cannot climb the hill, but crankcase gas will. To illustrate it, I made this drawing:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M54.jpg
Views:	2948
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	206047  
Old 10-27-2009, 08:47 AM

See what your getting at now--the hose I'm using comes out of the valve cover than makes a loop towards the rad and keeps turning a full 360 --then goes into the distribution unit--when trying to make the hose turn straight during the hook up the hose would pince on itself--with vacuum behind that it might close off --so I guess that there is an up hill climb as your discribing.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Three hundred miles driven today--high speed all the way--no oil has yet to be used--I am delighted--don't know how this is going to turn out in the long run but thinking it's still better than adding a qt of oil each week---been two weeks now and haven't used a drop----
Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 AM

Trying to add a pic to show what was hooked up--hope this helps--and works---the hose is hooked up to the large hole on the distribution unit--then the other side goes back into the valve cover--1/2 outside diameter hose into the valve cove---3/4 outside diameter hose into the distribution unit--these two hoses are coupled together with a 1/2 to 3/4 copper coupler from the plumbing dept at Lowes--little black permatex to glue all in place and then used gorrilla duct tape to be sure and cover it all. The other vacuum point near the back of the distribution unit has been sealed with a vacuum cap. An update also--my check engine light has turned itself off and no codes showing--maybe this is helping to heal the blow by.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW engine1.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	206537  

Last edited by poolman; 10-31-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 AM

Poolman,

Are you a plumber by trade lol....?

I like the 'invention'. This is exactly like I told you before, it is conceptually the same as the E23 (1983 735i) setup, basically there is a slope in the hose, so the oil cannot climb upward.
Suggestions:
1. Close off the open end of the old hose to the CCV. Just seal it with something like a rubber plug so garbage does not enter it and possibly the engine oil!
2. If I were you I'd do this:
- The Valve Cover outlet is 1" so I'd use I.D. 1" hose + clamp, so it covers the outlet completely.
- Then buy a plubing adaptor to transition it from I.D. 1" to I.D. 1/2" so it can enter the Intake Manifold, this way no need for any Permatex (which can degrades with time).

Very nice idea though.

PS: You may as well drive this car to death b/c if you sell the car one day, people may wonder what this snake is doing inside the engine...lol...!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 AM

LOL is right CN90--thanks for the kind words---On the valve cover where the hose enter--check back in the pic--there is a small piece of heater hose that is pushed up into the cover opening--then the 1/2 hose is pushed up in through that and then further it snuggly fits into the tubing that goes on back into the valve cover--no permatex there--and no leaks as well.
Gotta add anyone doing this MAKE SURE THE OIL HOSE AT THE DIPSTICK IS PLUGGED--don't want oil being puleed through the engein or a big air leak either.
I have enough stuff to make a complete new ccv system--will replace it all once more and see if the car will run the way it was designed or if I will run it the way its' configured now---oh yeah--nope not a plumber
just an old hot rodder that learned to do with what was at hand--LOL
Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 AM

This is what I refer to:

Use a Large Hose and clamp so it covers the Valve Cover Outlet completely.
In your system, you sleeve the hose inside which is OK for now but I am concerned that dirt and small particles can enter your engine through small openings.
But at least you proved in principles that your system worked.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HosePCV.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	206540  
Old 10-31-2009, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Trying to add a pic to show what was hooked up--hope this helps--and works---the hose is hooked up to the large hole on the distribution unit--then the other side goes back into the valve cover--1/2 outside diameter hose into the valve cove---3/4 outside diameter hose into the distribution unit--these two hoses are coupled together with a 1/2 to 3/4 copper coupler from the plumbing dept at Lowes--little black permatex to glue all in place and then used gorrilla duct tape to be sure and cover it all. The other vacuum point near the back of the distribution unit has been sealed with a vacuum cap. An update also--my check engine light has turned itself off and no codes showing--maybe this is helping to heal the blow by.
Interesting to say the least. Looking at your photos I would think that oil usage would be really high. With the factory CCV, clearly oil does exit the valve cover and ends up flowing back into the engine though the dipstick tube. I must say the results puzzle me.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
Interesting to say the least. Looking at your photos I would think that oil usage would be really high. With the factory CCV, clearly oil does exit the valve cover and ends up flowing back into the engine though the dipstick tube. I must say the results puzzle me.
Read through all the posts carefully. It is not surprising at all.

Look at poolman's setup: at one point the "snake hose" rises above the Valve Cover Outlet.
This is all you need: one area higher than the Valve Cover Outlet. This way oil, being liquid, cannot climb the hill while gas is flowing through.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Well it can climb since in most cases your dealing with an oil mist. The outlet port on the valve cover is high to start with and I believe there is also a baffle of some kind in the cover to prevent oil splash from simply being sucked out. Perhaps because the crankcase is sealed, there is little flow of air, hence there is little flow of oil mist?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 AM

YA gotta take the valve cover into consideration--when you remove it and really look at it you will see that where it draws vacuum from the head is really in the middle of the head-- and it's over the right side of the engine where there is a plastic cover--over the intake valves---I don't think that if the hose was going straight into the distribution unit ther would be any oil usage--whats stoping the oil from being used is the high vacuum being appiled into the crankcase--this has helped to seal the rings and stop my blowby problem--and thats the cure that I have endevored to find.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:30 AM

Cn90 here's the Snake in the car story--back in 1973--good friend who majored in herpatology(reptiles) picked me up at school--coming back home for our summer break. We stoped off in Ronoake Va at the major mall there at the time and went into the pet store to look around. I'm looking at the blue eyed Alaskain Huskies--he's looking at Boa's.. Few min's go by --he says to me lets get outta here---I'm leaving behind him and he's stuffed a boa down his pants and it's sticking out from under his shirt--told him the lady at the cash register was going to have a fit--well we made it out--the snake was let loose in the floor board of the car--it went up into the air vents and then would not come down for notheing--even let mice out--couldn't get the sucker down outta there--then a few weeks later--we'er double dating--mini skirts were the rage--We are up in the mts late at night parked--really dark--except for the moon--then--Ricks date slapped the hell outa him and said__I told you to put that back in your pants--he said__What are you talking about--then he made the big mistake--he turned the light on--what was crawling across her leg was not what she thought it was-there was the missing snake crawling across the up part of her thigh--she almost took the door of that car off leaving from where we were parked that night--and she NEVER went out with Rick again---other than that I have never seen a snake in a car.

Last edited by poolman; 11-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
Well it can climb since in most cases your dealing with an oil mist. The outlet port on the valve cover is high to start with and I believe there is also a baffle of some kind in the cover to prevent oil splash from simply being sucked out. Perhaps because the crankcase is sealed, there is little flow of air, hence there is little flow of oil mist?
You may want to read this PCV article by Larry Carley:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

If the Intake Manifold sits above the Valve Cover, then the design is simple. As I mentioned above, the BMW E23 PCV is simply a hose because the I.M. sits higher than the Valve Cover, see component #11:

The invention by poolman is basically another version of E23, basically there is a hill to climb, so oil simply drains back down.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Good article--wondering if I should just add a pvc valve to what I have and froget about the rest of the ccv valve deal.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
You may want to read this PCV article by Larry Carley:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm

If the Intake Manifold sits above the Valve Cover, then the design is simple. As I mentioned above, the BMW E23 PCV is simply a hose because the I.M. sits higher than the Valve Cover, see component #11:

The invention by poolman is basically another version of E23, basically there is a hill to climb, so oil simply drains back down.
Not sure I agree with the assertion that it is the height/slope which prevents the oil from being sucked in. The PCV you show is very typical of American vehicles in the mid 60's to the mid 80's. There is a PCV valve that is plugged into the valve cover usually by a rubber grommet. Inside the valve cover (which were nearly always stamped sheet metal) was a sheet metal baffle that was as wide as the width of the valve cover and extended beyond the center of the PCV valve about 4" in each direction. This baffle was about 3/8" down from the top of the valve cover. It's sole purpose was to prevent oil splash off the rocker arms from getting sucked up into the PCV then into the intake manifold. Typically the PCV hose was attached to a port on the carb. You will note that there is a free flowing air intake that is fed from the air cleaner. So.. No vacuum is present in the crankcase unlike poolmans solution.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 AM

Their were a lot of pvc systems that hooked straight into the intake manifold--Ford did this on all of their big block engines--and there was vacuum introduced to the crankcase in those instances--in the article that CN90 linked above--the big point of that from what I gathered was that the pcv valve was dialed in so as to just how much vacuum was introduced to the engine and at what time---the way I'm running it right now--when the engine is cold-it takes a couple of times to crank--this is due to the vacuum now introduced to the crankcase--if not for that--just bumping the starter would crank my car---

Last edited by poolman; 11-02-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 AM

Whatever it is, I know for sure the PCV in my E23 1983 735i (I sold it) is a simple hose going up hill.
Inside the E23 Valve Cover, there is a baffle too to shield spalshing oil from getting into the PCV.
For the most part, all you need is a slope in the PCV system and you are OK.
Just look at other cars, Toyota, American etc.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:47 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
Hi, sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm sick of the CCV problems in my car, which has a M54.
Can you please give us an update on what you did ultimately... whether or not you went back to the OEM, or added a PCV, or kept the same system.. etc.
Any emission problems, check engine lights, failures, oil consumption, etc. I'm also burning a quart per week as of now.
Can someone please explain the whole process... I do not know where the "distribution" is...
So far, as I understand it, I attach a hose to the valve cover opening, coil it a bit and make sure its going uphill... but where does the other end of the hose go? Can I just leave it unattached?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Dealer replaced all the parts on this SIB on my 03 under CPO. Including the dipstick tube. Not an issue since. It used to eat oil at 1Qt/2000 miles only in the winter where it normally used virtually nothing at 6500 miles. Since the repair, no oil consumption.

poolman, I was under the impression that you recently went back to the factory setup a 3'rd time?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCV-now-covered-under-cpo-sib-11-08-03.pdf (206.9 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by gtxragtop; 01-17-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:59 AM
tappa tappa toit

i see. i dont have CPO
Old 01-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Wrenchin' fool ...

Mein Auto: e39 528it
GTX:

I wonder why that SIB only covers M54 and not M52TU motors ...?

Any idea if it is a mechanical reason or a "policy/business" reason?

Seems to me the motors are similar enough (at least the air/oil separator sys.) that SIB hsould "recommend" same for M52TU.

*FWIW, "Hack Mechanic" in BMW CCA Roundel had oil-hydrolock issue on his '99 528iT and wrote about it a few issues ago.

Thanks.

2000 528iT Sport 5M (mfg. 5/1999) ~ 1990 325iX 5M
BMW CCA member #130075
JScottRacing
Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 AM
tappa tappa toit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
GTX:

Seems to me the motors are similar enough (at least the air/oil separator sys.) that SIB hsould "recommend" same for M52TU.

*FWIW, "Hack Mechanic" in BMW CCA Roundel had oil-hydrolock issue on his '99 528iT and wrote about it a few issues ago.

Thanks.
Yeah they are very similar
Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
GTX:

Thanks.
I do not know. sorry
Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Here's the DIY for CCV replacement on the M54

This is a fascinating thread. This is what I call INNOVATION! Somehow I missed it the first time around. I must've been busy replacing my CCV! Anyway, I am very curious to see the long term follow-up sitrep to this problem and innovative solution.