Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: Z3, Forester, X3
Question Thoughts on 3M Clear Bra?

HI, I just got a black X3 (2006) and drive in alot of winter conditions in the mountains ( sand mixed with pebble) . I am thinking I need to get the clear bra added ( not necessarily at the dealer).

Has anyone had good/bad experience with this? Do you think 3M product is the best? I don't know much about it and haven't researched yet. But definitely don't want chips on hood of car! Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMWX3
I also have a black 2006 X3. Bought it CPO from Schomp in August.

Schomp put a clear bra on it for me for no charge (they goofed my paperwork and wanted to make it up to me). This is the second clear bra I've put on of my cars. I highly recommend it. If done well, you can only barely see it and it really works. As you said, in Colorado, we just get assaulted in the winter with sand and gravel. You need something or your front end just gets destroyed.

I had a plastic bug shield on my last car, a Honda Pilot. Looked OK, but hurt my gas mileage I think.

Go with the Clear Bra. A little expensive, but worth it.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Leftover Hippie

Mein Auto: 2010 328xiT
I have had it on several cars over the past few years and it worked great. I did not put it on my wife's 2005 X3 and wish I had at this point as we have quite a number of visible rock chips on the front.

2005 X3 2.5i - Mystic Blue
2010 328ix Sports Wagon - Space Gray
Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I installed this product myself and it has held up just fine. The kit I got from an online supplier included DVD instructions and any needed tools and spray bottles. I got close to pro results, and saved several hundred dollars. But it is a bit tricky to install. The edges will be more visible on black paint but it's worth the protection IMHO. In past cars I have use vinyl car bras which are cheap and effective but a PITA to take on and off for each ski trip. I did the front, hood, headlights, and mirrors. 2005 bumper is not painted so no need in my case to do it. Did not do leading edge of roof and hasn't seemed to be needed.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 AM

Thanks everyone for feedback. I am going to definitely get the clear bra put on. Don't think I want to risk installing myself...I tend to have isses just with tape! Denver61 - I am jealous you got yours thrown in by Schomp. I bought at gebhardt - the only stick I could find in the state...
Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
I had one installed on my MY05 X3 since it was new. It is holding up perfectly and am very happy with it. IMO it is worth the money if you are going to keep your car for a long period of time.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
How much are we talking for the Clear Bra installed?? Sounds like a good idea. I had a vinyl bra on my 07 Eagle Talon and that jacked the paint up.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
I think I paid $400 but that was 5 years ago.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
I would put one on your new car in a minute!!

In your area with the road conditions as they are you will save the front of that car, if it gets trashed then no big deal you can replace...repainting would be huge!!!

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I have one on my 530xi. They are great. I did not put one on my X3, but will in the spring. I will probably have to have the chips touched up at a shop frst, though.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:07 PM

So I called around...the BMW dealer referral was the most expensive at about $345 + or - depending on what you want covered. But I found other 3M dealers who will do the hood at 18 inches and fenders and around grill for $225. 5yr warranty on all but since he is a dealer he said bring it back anytime if a problem...I think pretty fair price. Bringing car in tomorow! I am not covering the headlights or door handles...I don't think...or the whole bumper...that alone is $225 or something. I figure it is plastic and will hold up ok...though if anyone has experience with any of this other stuff getting trashed over time let me know!

Thanks.