Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5
Took Delivery of 2010 BMW X5 35D on October 29, 2009

Took delivery of 2010 X5 35D yesterday, right on time, two days early. Picked it up at BMW Toronto and drove it back home to Ottawa (450 km) yesterday. BMW Toronto is one of the best dealerships that I have experienced, bend over backwards to please you!

2010 X5 is great! White with Saddle Brown Interior, loaded with every option you can buy. This is my first BMW, love the way it drives and handles. Love the new car leather smell! Love the drivers seat, love the iDrive System.

Spent most of the day today getting to learn each feature. After about 5 hours of sitting in the driveway and pissing off my wife, I think I have figured the whole thing out.

BLUETOOTH - Had trouble 1st day with my RIM Blackberry 9600, it transferred contact list correctly, but would not dial out from contact list. Now today, after hooking up my wife's Blackberry (9000) which didn't work at first either, I tried mine again and it started to work after deleting Bluetooth device and reconnecting it!

Love the HEADS UP DISPLAY, this feature should be standard on every car. It incorporates the NAV system in it and gives you turn by turn visual instructions in the HUD display. Even alerts you when you are going over a set speed limit. Allows for you to adjust height of display up or down as well as brightness.

The new iDRIVE SYSTEM is very good. I was told to wait for it, therefore did not buy the 2009, X5 and glad I did wait. A little overwhelming at first, but after an hour of use, it is really easy to use. So easy in fact I can jump through the controls without looking at screen now, I can operate it just by feel and memorizing the sequence.

My IPOD ITOUCH was extremely easy to set up and use. Had one glitch when the music I was playing started to sound real funny (hollow sounding), after freaking out a bit, I realized the Ipod cables had partially came unplugged. After replugging, everything is fine now.

SIRIUS SAT is good, however, I have to fax them ownership in order to get my one year free subscription (Canada), otherwise will only work for 3 months.

NAV SYSTEM is pretty good, love the extra large screen on the BMW compared to my Garmin Nuvi 765. I live in an Ottawa neighborhood about 3 years old, and BMW NAV system actually had my street in it, whereas my newest Garmin (one month old) did not. NAV Spit screen function takes some getting use to. Thought I would miss not having a QWERTY keyboard for input, but actually the BMW iDrive dial is really easy and fast to use when comparing to the GARMIN. When typing on my Garmin, my fat sausage fingers are always hitting two letters and spelling everything wrong. iDrive appears to be a better system, though I do miss not hearing actual street names when a turn is announced.

AUTO TRUNK; Almost scratched the top of trunk door when opening it in the garage. Be careful! Adjusted it down one notch, now it is fine.

The REAR CAMERA works very well, as do the cameras attached to the side mirrors. Really cool perspective on the side. May even help save the side walls.

REAR DVD came with wireless headphones and a remote. Took me a while to figure out how to get sound on car speaker system and not through wireless headphones only. DVD Remote looks and feels kind of cheap. Wish DVD system was on the back of each front seat like in other BMW models.

FRONT DVD actually works. I guess I thought for some reason that the NAV iDrive screen would not play DVD's but it does. I will now have to bring some DVD's with me for when I wait in the car while the wife is shopping.

SUNROOF is an option the wife wanted. It is really huge, and I actually like it now that I have it.

HEATED STEERING WHEEL. I have a little arthritis in one of my hands. Heat actually feels pretty good on it, works extremely fast. In Canada this feature will come in very handy this winter.

DRIVERS SEAT. Controls will take some getting use to. Every adjustment known to man exists in these seats. I think I programmed settings into my key, will see tomorrow.

LIGHTS on DOOR HANDLES look spectacular at night, especially on white background. Love the KEYLESS entry system, just walk up to the car with remote in pocket and open the door and push button to start car. Lots of different ways to program the door locks.

GEAR SHIFT. Pain in the butt. Put on brake, push button then shift. I keep forgetting to push the button. Will take some getting use to. Then to add insult to injury, the iDrive reminds you that you made a mistake trying to put it into gear.

BACK SEAT, very roomy. Lighting is good for reading.

3RD ROW SEATING, would NOT want to sit in it for a long period of time. OK for kids I guess.

SIGNAL LIGHTS - take a little getting use to.

CRUISE CONTROL - works very well, I like the way you can go in increments of 1MPH or 5 MPH. Wish Cruise Control system had auto braking when you approach a car in front.

USB connector in glove box is the only way to load onto iDrive Hard Drive. I uploaded 1000 songs and it works great!

GARAGE DOOR opener. I have two types of garage door openers. One was really easy to program (held garage door remote next to rear view mirror), pressed both buttons at same time, and vola worked. The other one however took 2-3 hours. I think the owners manual is wrong. When programming by pressing 30 second button on Garage Door unit, owners manual says to press the appropriate button 3 times. Instead I held it down until light flashed quickly, then it worked.

All for now, hope your new BMW's come in soon! DRIVE SAFE!

Last edited by rmebrown; 11-01-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additions added
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35D
thanks for info!

RMEbrown, i am in NJ, put my order in on Oct 2nd and still waiting......hasn't even gone to production yet! Can you tell me when you put order in as well as post pics and any additional information. How is fuel economy so far? Thank you for all the info!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i
That's a great write up. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Tim
Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmebrown View Post
Took delivery of 2010 X5 35D yesterday, right on time, two days early. Picked it up at BMW Toronto and drove it back home to Ottawa (450 km) yesterday. BMW Toronto is one of the best dealerships that I have experienced, bend over backwards to please you!

2010 X5 is great! White with Saddle Brown Interior, loaded with every option you can buy. This is my first BMW, love the way it drives and handles. Love the new car leather smell! Love the drivers seat, love the iDrive System.

Spent most of the day today getting to learn each feature. After about 5 hours of sitting in the driveway and pissing off my wife, I think I have figured the whole thing out.

BLUETOOTH - Had trouble 1st day with my RIM Blackberry 9600, it transferred contact list correctly, but would not dial out from contact list. Now today, after hooking up my wife's Blackberry (9000) which didn't work at first either, I tried mine again and it started to work after deleting Bluetooth device and reconnecting it!

Love the HEADS UP DISPLAY, this feature should be standard on every car. It incorporates the NAV system in it and gives you turn by turn visual instructions in the HUD display. Even alerts you when you are going over a set speed limit. Allows for you to adjust height of display up or down as well as brightness.

The new iDRIVE SYSTEM is very good. I was told to wait for it, therefore did not buy the 2009, X5 and glad I did wait. A little overwhelming at first, but after an hour of use, it is really easy to use. So easy in fact I can jump through the controls without looking at screen now, I can operate it just by feel and memorizing the sequence.

My IPOD ITOUCH was extremely easy to set up and use. Had one glitch when the music I was playing started to sound real funny (hollow sounding), after freaking out a bit, I realized the Ipod cables had partially came unplugged. After replugging, everything is fine now.

SIRIUS SAT is good, however, I have to fax them ownership in order to get my one year free subscription (Canada), otherwise will only work for 3 months.

NAV SYSTEM is pretty good, love the extra large screen on the BMW compared to my Garmin Nuvi 765. I live in an Ottawa neighborhood about 3 years old, and BMW NAV system actually had my street in it, whereas my newest Garmin (one month old) did not. NAV Spit screen function takes some getting use to. Thought I would miss not having a QWERTY keyboard for input, but actually the BMW iDrive dial is really easy and fast to use when comparing to the GARMIN. When typing on my Garmin, my fat sausage fingers are always hitting two letters and spelling everything wrong. iDrive appears to be a better system, though I do miss not hearing actual street names when a turn is announced.

AUTO TRUNK; Almost scratched the top of trunk door when opening it in the garage. Be careful! Adjusted it down one notch, now it is fine.

The REAR CAMERA works very well, as do the cameras attached to the side mirrors. Really cool perspective on the side. May even help save the side walls.

REAR DVD came with wireless headphones and a remote. Took me a while to figure out how to get sound on car speaker system and not through wireless headphones only. DVD Remote looks and feels kind of cheap. Wish DVD system was on the back of each front seat like in other BMW models.

FRONT DVD actually works. I guess I thought for some reason that the NAV iDrive screen would not play DVD's but it does. I will now have to bring some DVD's with me for when I wait in the car while the wife is shopping.

SUNROOF is an option the wife wanted. It is really huge, and I actually like it now that I have it.

HEATED STEERING WHEEL. I have a little arthritis in one of my hands. Heat actually feels pretty good on it, works extremely fast. In Canada this feature will come in very handy this winter.

DRIVERS SEAT. Controls will take some getting use to. Every adjustment known to man exists in these seats. I think I programmed settings into my key, will see tomorrow.

LIGHTS on DOOR HANDLES look spectacular at night, especially on white background. Love the KEYLESS entry system, just walk up to the car with remote in pocket and open the door and push button to start car. Lots of different ways to program the door locks.

GEAR SHIFT. Pain in the butt. Put on brake, push button then shift. I keep forgetting to push the button. Will take some getting use to. Then to add insult to injury, the iDrive reminds you that you made a mistake trying to put it into gear.

BACK SEAT, very roomy. Lighting is good for reading.

3RD ROW SEATING, would NOT want to sit in it for a long period of time. OK for kids I guess.

SIGNAL LIGHTS - take a little getting use to.

CRUISE CONTROL - works very well, I like the way you can go in increments of 1MPH or 5 MPH. Wish Cruise Control system had auto braking when you approach a car in front.

Going to try the USB tomorrow to upload music onto hard drive. Not sure if the USB connector is in the arm rest or in glove box?

All for now, hope your new BMW's come in soon! DRIVE SAFE!
Excellent Review. Can you play video from your Itouch/iPod to your nav screen? What kind of MPG or KPL did you get from Toronto? Thanx
Old 10-31-2009, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
Most BMW dealerships try hard to please. As a former resident of both Ottawa and Toronto who misses his country of origin, I can fondly (and perhaps naively!)assume that the "nice/try-hard" factor is even stronger there.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i - ED in November
Congrats! I'm interested in the same exterior/interior color combo. Would it possible for you to post some pics?

Thank you!
Old 11-01-2009, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
Your review mentions cameras in the side mirrors. I can't find side mirror cameras as an option on the BMWNA website. Are the cameras a Canada-only option?
2012 BMW 535i--Titanium Sliver Exterior, Black Dakota Leather Interior, Dark Wood Trim, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sports Package (inc. Multi-Contour Front Seats), Technology Package, Power rear sunshade with manual side window sunshades, Steptronic Automatic Transmission, BMW Apps

Former BMWs (fondly remembered):
1985 528e
1988 735i
1993 325is
2004 525i
2007 X3 3.0si
2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i
Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: a bit of everything
It's called "top view"..........do a forum search, there are some pictures.......if not here, than on Xoutpost

it's part of the tech package........comes with rear view camara option
Old 11-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX555 View Post
Excellent Review. Can you play video from your Itouch/iPod to your nav screen? What kind of MPG or KPL did you get from Toronto? Thanx
I tried Itouch/IPOD today, and it does NOT view videos on NAV Screen.

My MPG was about 22 from Toronto to Ottawa, however, I was traveling 75 to 80 mph.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjim View Post
Your review mentions cameras in the side mirrors. I can't find side mirror cameras as an option on the BMWNA website. Are the cameras a Canada-only option?
I think that they come with rear back-up camera
Old 11-01-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: huh?
Awesome.... it plays dvd ups front, thats good a good option. I just ordered a 35D yesterday. How long did you wait for the x5 to arrive? Congrats and enjoy in good health.... and yeah, post some pics man!
Old 11-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi M, Range Rover, 911
where are the freeeeaking pics????????

2013 550 xi Msport
2005 Range Rover HSE Grey/Grey
2009 MB C 300 4Matic
1997 Porsche 993 C4S Black/Black
2005 Jeep TJ
Old 11-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Conv, X5 35d, M cpe,
Licence plate LED or halogen?

Sounds Awsome! Great review BTW! I have one question for you, are the lights for the rear licence plate LED (like the the door handles) ? I cant wait for mine to be delivered in the first week of December. I ordered a fully loaded White on saddle 35D, just without the heads up display. After reading your review I regret not ordering that option.