Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 78' 320i/E30 M Series 5sd
Buying a 1978 320i

I was just hoping a few of you would chirp in and tell me how reliable a 30 year old car could be. It has very little rust and only 120,000 miles. Anyone have any cursory opinions?
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 AM

Mein Auto: nothing
Take a chance

It's a great hobby. Yes, they are known to be quite reliable. They also have been known to attract rust.
I like the styling. I currently have a 1983 BMW 320is that I purchased used 23 years ago.
I had a 1978 BMW 320i I bought used. I do like the styling, it was designed by the Italian Pinin Farina design studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00263-20090425-1747 00001.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	205470  
Old 10-27-2009, 04:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
I currently have a 1983 BMW 320is that I purchased used 23 years ago.
Drove my '83 320is 150K mi - sold late '86. Buyer cut the top off & installed a convertible - saw it around awhile. No problems other than the rain 'twitch.' Did an honest 110 mph no mods.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: '77 320i
i am sort of in a similar situation that you are in...flew out to california earlier this summer picked up my '77 320i with well over 200k on the odometer...got 50 miles from home blew a head...i knew there were engine problems and thought we could make it...and we nearly did...only 50 miles...thank God for friends with tow trucks...

i have done a little research on the internet and in 2 books from amazon and it appears as though both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl engines are near bullet proof...the racing history of these cars is robust to say the least...drive chains seem rock solid as well...read some things about clutch problems mostly master cylinders and slave cylinder issues...

unlike a jaguar there seems to be few electrical issues...but on a 30 yr old car grounds are what they are...seems that for some undiscovered reason the hazard switches are somewhat problematic...RUST is a huge issue...mine lived its entire life in southern california and had no rust...when i pulled the drive train for rebuild i sprayed "tintable" truck bed liner under the entire car to protect it from the likelihood of pennsylvania rust...that was a good move for my money...

i found that for the engine parts...the guys at ireland engineering were more than helpful, and mechanically competent...they understand these cars...however, they are as any business with a solid business model...BUSY...this required some patience on my part...and honestly the wait was well worth it...i could have bought else where and i was SERIOUSLY tempted to do just that...but like i said...they are worth a serious conversation...

good luck on the rebuild...we will all keep an eye out for the pictures...you can follow my progress at . . . http://the320i.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: '77 320i
i am sort of in a similar situation that you are in...flew out to california earlier this summer picked up my '77 320i with well over 200k on the odometer...got 50 miles from home blew a head...i knew there were engine problems and thought we could make it...and we nearly did...only 50 miles...thank God for friends with tow trucks...

i have done a little research on the internet and in 2 books from amazon and it appears as though both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl engines are near bullet proof...the racing history of these cars is robust to say the least...drive chains seem rock solid as well...read some things about clutch problems mostly master cylinders and slave cylinder issues...

unlike a jaguar there seems to be few electrical issues...but on a 30 yr old car grounds are what they are...seems that for some undiscovered reason the hazard switches are somewhat problematic...RUST is a huge issue...mine lived its entire life in southern california and had no rust...when i pulled the drive train for rebuild i sprayed "tintable" truck bed liner under the entire car to protect it from the likelihood of pennsylvania rust...that was a good move for my money...

i found that for the engine parts...the guys at ireland engineering were more than helpful, and mechanically competent...they understand these cars...however, they are as any business with a solid business model...BUSY...this required some patience on my part...and honestly the wait was well worth it...i could have bought else where and i was SERIOUSLY tempted to do just that...but like i said...they are worth a serious conversation...

good luck on the rebuild...we will all keep an eye out for the pictures...you can follow my progress at . . . http://the320i.blogspot.com/