Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-08-2009, 06:31 AM
tes3856 tes3856 is offline
Registered User
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2002 745il
Logic 7 problems

02 745li and of course the dealer wants to replace the Logic 7 system for 1600. However, my question is does anyone know if these speakers are hooked in series? The reason for the question is a mechanic yesterday stated the speaker on my drivers side rear door and the center channel speaker center of dash by security light needs replaced. Acoording to him, he thinks if these are replaced my system may work. Now, I only get some scratchy sound out of the drivers side column speaker. Also, does someone know where I can get a electric diagram of this system? Thanks..
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Seven11's Avatar
Seven11 Seven11 is offline
President
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: BMW
its your amp

the dealer is probably right
__________________

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
hey if u search logic 7 amp on these forums ull be able to find a diagram. There was one up not too long ago.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
1mowshn 1mowshn is offline
Registered User
Location: American Canyon, Ca.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Wink Logic 7 Problem

Unfortunately you will have to replace the L7 amp. All of your indash functions operate via infared beam all other components will give you problems. If you look high and low you may be able to locate a working used unit. I had my unit fail but was able to rebuild with the help of and electronic shop and it has been working fine for two years now.

Good luck:
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2009, 12:48 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
I've heard of people taking their amp to a radio technician and having them fix it for about 200 bucks. You can search it on here I think the thread was called l7 amp fixed.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2009, 08:06 PM
teejaylentz teejaylentz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Redmond, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 313
Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Look inside: http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/M_Logic_7.htm :-)

If this ever happens to me, I'll definitely be taking mine apart and checking the capacitors as a quick possibility. I've found that electrolytic capacitors often go bad and are probably one of the big problems (leaking/tops blowing off). If you are handy with a soldering iron, might be worth a try. When those capacitors blow it's usually readily visible... just have to hope no other damage was done as a result.

Related topic... I've had several PC motherboards fail due to the cheap capacitors blowing. 80% of the time I was able to fix them by just replacing the capacitors. I had some of those surface-mount capacitors go bad in my monitor one time and soldered in some normal ones with same capacitance in their place... been working fine for 2 years... Here's a pretty good article explaining the capacitor issues that can occur: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

I'm not saying this is necessarily your issue, but it's at least worth a look before sinking $1600 in.

EDIT: "Capacitor Plague": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Last edited by teejaylentz; 11-12-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaylentz View Post
Look inside: http://www.xolmatic.com/xprojects/XE65/M_Logic_7.htm :-)

If this ever happens to me, I'll definitely be taking mine apart and checking the capacitors as a quick possibility. I've found that electrolytic capacitors often go bad and are probably one of the big problems (leaking/tops blowing off). If you are handy with a soldering iron, might be worth a try. When those capacitors blow it's usually readily visible... just have to hope no other damage was done as a result.

Related topic... I've had several PC motherboards fail due to the cheap capacitors blowing. 80% of the time I was able to fix them by just replacing the capacitors. I had some of those surface-mount capacitors go bad in my monitor one time and soldered in some normal ones with same capacitance in their place... been working fine for 2 years... Here's a pretty good article explaining the capacitor issues that can occur: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

I'm not saying this is necessarily your issue, but it's at least worth a look before sinking $1600 in.

EDIT: "Capacitor Plague": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
awesome find man... big ups to you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM
coug60's Avatar
coug60 coug60 is offline
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
Location: Nothern California - Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 926
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
I'm staring at my broken Logic7 amp as I write this.... I have already disassembled it to look for the Capacitor information. Ive found them on the net for about $2.50 apiece.
I bought a replacement that fixed all my problems.
teejaylentz is absolutely right, probably the capacitors, they have a high failure rate with amps.
The other possibility is that one or more of the transistors are bad
I'm going to replace all the ones in my broken Logic7 and put it back in the car and see what happens, (I posted a DIY on R&Ring the Logic7. Its really easy) that is if I still have my car. I might be selling it.
In any case I'm very good with electronics. Ive been trying to find a detailed schematic of the Logic7 but cant find one to troubleshoot it properly.
In any case if it works Ill post it and you guys can send me your broken Logic7's and Ill do the same thing for you.
Might be a couple of weeks though, going out of town a lot this month.
In any case if anybody can find a detailed schematic for the Logic7 let me know.
__________________

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
coug i would gladly pay you to fix my amp
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
autoradio autoradio is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: chevy tahoe
We have recently had some experience with the Logic 7 system. The Logic 7 amp powers the center channel speaker as well as the rear door speakers and the subwoofer system. The cd player powers the front door speakers and the speakers in the rear package tray. We replaced the speakers in the front doors and the rear doors thinking that they were bad but that didn't solve the problem. We sent the logic 7 out for repair but that didn't fix the problem either. We have sent the logic 7 back to the repair center in hopes that they missed something in the repair. We added a 4 channel amp in place of the Logic 7 amp to get the rear door speakers working as well as the subs. This is only a tempory fix and hopefully the Logic 7 will be repaired properly and be put back in the vehicle soon.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-18-2009, 11:49 PM
BM2U BM2U is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: N/A
Hi, im a new guy here (just few weeks) love my 745li but i am so pissed off with this annoying buzzing sound comming out of my driver side that i posted it for sale. basicly the car came with a jl audio system that had a 300wt amp hooked up to the speakers. iono why the hell the previous owner would do that but he did. so after taking to 4 different shops and getting 4 different opinions i decided to get rid of the amp and leave the stock L7. after doing so its been about 4 days and the buzzin sound is back. not as loud but i can hear it. and on top of that the driver side ALL the speakers are soundless. I have installed countless systems on bunch of Japanese and American cars but never dealt with such BS. so do you guys thing its the L7 (in my opinion it is) and if so what the hell can i do or send to fix it. I dnt want to spend 400 bucks on a 2.95 dollar part. any suggestions would be great before i go crazy inofe to burn the car. thnks.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
tes3856 tes3856 is offline
Registered User
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2002 745il
Did you get the Logic 7 repaired? I sent mine to TN and for 450 they guaranteed lifetime. I put it in and only the driver's side passenger door works. It's in the shop now trying to figure out what else could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 AM
tes3856 tes3856 is offline
Registered User
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2002 745il
The logic 7 amp is problematic. I sent mine to TN for repair and put it in yesterday. Only have sound out of one speaker now. Not sure if they did not repair the amp right or it's something else. They had it for almost three weeks....for repair. The logic 7 also functions the naviagation unit. Some people remove the amp because they fail often and they don't want to keep fixing them. However, I tried several audio places in Indianapolis and they did not want to touch that audio system. Hopefully today the import repair shop will let me know what else is wrong....tired of this system but it's difficult to replace in my year, make and model.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
BM2U BM2U is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: N/A
SO..........can some one give me some info on good tech shops, i am down to ship my amp to them as long as its fixed. thnks for the help
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tes3856 View Post
Did you get the Logic 7 repaired? I sent mine to TN and for 450 they guaranteed lifetime. I put it in and only the driver's side passenger door works. It's in the shop now trying to figure out what else could be wrong.
What's TN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2U View Post
Hi, im a new guy here (just few weeks) love my 745li but i am so pissed off with this annoying buzzing sound comming out of my driver side that i posted it for sale. basicly the car came with a jl audio system that had a 300wt amp hooked up to the speakers. iono why the hell the previous owner would do that but he did. so after taking to 4 different shops and getting 4 different opinions i decided to get rid of the amp and leave the stock L7. after doing so its been about 4 days and the buzzin sound is back. not as loud but i can hear it. and on top of that the driver side ALL the speakers are soundless. I have installed countless systems on bunch of Japanese and American cars but never dealt with such BS. so do you guys thing its the L7 (in my opinion it is) and if so what the hell can i do or send to fix it. I dnt want to spend 400 bucks on a 2.95 dollar part. any suggestions would be great before i go crazy inofe to burn the car. thnks.
If it's buzzins on the front speakers its not ur amp thats causing the trouble but the ASK unit(single cd player in the dash)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
tes3856 tes3856 is offline
Registered User
Location: Carmel Indiana
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2002 745il
[QUOTE=745ibeamer;4740539]What's TN?



Tennessee
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
Oh ok not bad, I found a guy near me who sad he'll fix it for 300... coug any update? it's been a while...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 AM
BM2U BM2U is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ibeamer View Post
Oh ok not bad, I found a guy near me who sad he'll fix it for 300... coug any update? it's been a while...
can he do the ask system?, and ask him maybe if i sent him mine he could do it for cheaper
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-12-2009, 05:30 PM
coug60's Avatar
coug60 coug60 is offline
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg
Location: Nothern California - Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 926
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Sorry fellas,
Haven't got to fixing my Spar Logic7 yet... Holidays and playing with my new 650. I'm off from the 22 to the 3rd. I plan on doing it then. Ill get back to you.
__________________

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
Sorry fellas,
Haven't got to fixing my Spar Logic7 yet... Holidays and playing with my new 650. I'm off from the 22 to the 3rd. I plan on doing it then. Ill get back to you.
cool, if u do figure out how to fix it, would you be interested in fixings other's as well? How much woud you charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM2U View Post
can he do the ask system?, and ask him maybe if i sent him mine he could do it for cheaper
ill ask him abot the ask. is it just your ask or your amp as well? I could see him goin to 250 but even thats better than buying a new or even used amp...and MUCH better than goin to the dealer...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM
brd4fun brd4fun is offline
Registered User
Location: Tennessee
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW 745
If you find that your guy can repair the ASK unit could you share his contact info as mine is out as well.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 PM
745ibeamer 745ibeamer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 109
Mein Auto: 02 bmw 745i
My guy lives in Vancouver area.... if you guys are ok with takin gout your ask unit yourselves and sending it to him I'll ask him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 AM
kennyw418 kennyw418 is offline
02 745li
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 02 745Li
cant find Logic 7 on my 02 745Li

i went to entertainment and did not see an option for logic 7
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 AM
runoo00 runoo00 is offline
Registered User
Location: RALEIGH
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
logic 7 repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ibeamer View Post
My guy lives in Vancouver area.... if you guys are ok with takin gout your ask unit yourselves and sending it to him I'll ask him.
he whats an email to use ur guys for the logic 7 repair runoo@hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-20-2012, 11:07 AM
djdecko djdecko is offline
Registered User
Location: Fort Knox, KY
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
Do anyone have any links for the capacitors for the Logic 7?

Sent from my HTC EVO using Bimmer App
__________________
<img src=http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/4734/cole2.jpg border=0 alt= />
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms