Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe, Honda S2000
tire recommendation? Z4 M Coupe

My 2007 tires are finally going and remember all the talk about how th contis were crap. Wanted to get guys thoughts here on best tires to get next on stock mcoupe rims? On my s2K I have always LOVED the Bridgestone Potenza S02s (super sticky but they dont last long) and tried the S03s but didnt like since they werent as sticky although they lasted longer. Wear is not a factor; I prefer sticky over long life (but also dont want tires like the NSX or some italian exotics that need to be replaced every 3K miles!). 10K of use is plenty as handling is the priority.

Ted

Current Cars:
2007 Z4 M Coupe
2000 Honda S2000
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

I have 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 on the OE's for next season! Great reviews here on bimmerfest and others...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Some Say...he apexes late

Mein Auto: Z4MR
Falken 452s, good luck so far.

They are lasting well, good price, not too much road noise, and good predictable behavior at the limit. They get hours of canyon driving every weekend.

FYI I tried the nitto INVOs, bad experience with them, weird chattering/instability at the limit due to odd tread pattern. Nitto refused to take them back.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

I have 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 on the OE's for next season! Great reviews here on bimmerfest and others...
Many of us run the Star Specs and love them but most run them in 245/40-18 (front) & 275/35-18 (rear): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=294185. Here's a little chart I put together back in the day when I was researching this.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 AM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Pricey, but awesome. HUGE improvement when my Conti's when ****-up and were replaced with these. Had them on 2 previous cars too.. awesome tire.

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Pricey, but awesome. HUGE improvement when my Conti's when ****-up and were replaced with these. Had them on 2 previous cars too.. awesome tire.
The PS2 is a very old tire that was excellent in its day and has held its own very well for a very long time. That being said, however, the current generation of max-performance summer tires leaves the PS2 in the dust. The PS2 is now a relic that's too heavy, too expensive, and just can't keep up any longer with the current generation (Dunlop Direzza Star-Specs, Nitto NT05s, Bridgestone RE-11 all beat up on the PS2 in pretty much every category including price)
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wrh3
Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2008 M3
A tire you don't hear a lot about here in the US but one that does very well in comparison tests in Europe is the Vredestein Sessanta. After reading these threads I picked up a set for my wife's M3 (replacing the PS2s) and will probably be buying these as the Toyo T1R replacements on my M Coupe, outstanding tire in dry AND wet and a GREAT value:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268043 and http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299078

Sourced from http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...678#prodAnchor

[EDIT] The Vredestein tires rank above the PS2s in European tests and subjectively after a weekend in the mountains are better tires across the board IMO.....

Bill
Bill
2011 Lotus Elise R, 2010 Porsche Boxster S, 2005 Mini Cooper S
BMW CCA Member # 389948
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex

Last edited by wrh3; 11-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
The PS2 is a very old tire that was excellent in its day and has held its own very well for a very long time. That being said, however, the current generation of max-performance summer tires leaves the PS2 in the dust. The PS2 is now a relic that's too heavy, too expensive, and just can't keep up any longer with the current generation (Dunlop Direzza Star-Specs, Nitto NT05s, Bridgestone RE-11 all beat up on the PS2 in pretty much every category including price)
I'm not sold. The PS2s were way better than the NT05s I'm running now.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: Z4MC AW/IR
Quote:
I think this is a bit overstated. BMW and Porsche are not run by idiots, and they continue to use the PS2 as the OEM tire of choice on their top of the line models. I think it is still a very competitive tire, though expensive.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
your average JAMF

Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
I think this is a bit overstated. BMW and Porsche are not run by idiots, and they continue to use the PS2 as the OEM tire of choice on their top of the line models. I think it is still a very competitive tire, though expensive.
Agreed. And the ratings at Tire Rack are still very strong compared to competitors. It's a GREAT tire, regardless of how "very old" it may be at this point.

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Quote:
I tried different tires on different cars and PS2s are still one of the best.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC & 95M3 Tracktoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Porsche and BMW also get a much friendlier deal from Michelin as an OEM supplier than we get in the aftermarket. It's an acceptable tire for them, but not necessarily the best one available for us.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Officially Weird

Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
The theory is that the PS2 is going to be a better compromise tire with excellent grip, wear, breakaway, and noise characteristics.

The idea about going with an RE-11/Star Spec/AD08/NT05 is that you can pay less, get a slightly louder tire that might not last as long, but has better ultimate grip.

BMW and Porsche do NOT choose tires based merely on ultimate grip.

That said, I stand by what I said above, my 255 NT05s have nowhere near the lateral grip that 265 PS2s did. Sure, some of it is down to size, but I just don't think the tire is as sticky.

I was very impressed with the AD08 as a *passenger*, and I've heard great things about the RE-11, but that's closing in on PS2 price territory.

I haven't decided if I'll go back to PS2s or 'gamble' on another somewhat-cheaper supposedly-better-performance tire.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/2007 Z4 Coupe
I've seen recent tests done on UHP summer tires by car/driver and tirerack and the Hancook Ventus V12 tires ranked very high and are especially appealing considering the price. I'm thinking about swapping out my OEM runflats for these. Anyone on this board tried them?
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
BSW IQ speakers, Sirius
CDV delete
Huper Optik tint

2007 X3 3.0si
6-speed manual, CWP, Xenon, Cft. Seats, Premium Pkg, Sirius, Privacy glass
Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 TiAg/IR Z4MC LL93700
I just put a pair of Pilot Sport Plus tires on my rear wheels...good price with almost as much grip as the PS2's. Very quite compared to the stock Contis.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Quote:
Originally Posted by withaJ View Post
I just put a pair of Pilot Sport Plus tires on my rear wheels...good price with almost as much grip as the PS2's. Very quite compared to the stock Contis.
Front to rear; Different brands/compounds/tread pattern etc. I don't believe this is recommended
Old 11-21-2009, 10:51 AM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
Go stright to the RE-11 and don't look back... i have tried most major performance tires out there (RE-01R, RE-11, RE50A PP, PS1, PS2, Contisport 1/2/3, Pzero) minus the Nitto and this is by far the best street tire I have ever used

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 11-21-2009, 05:14 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
The latest eurotuner did a tire test of max and extreme performance tires and I was quite surprised by the winner - the Continental Extreme Contact DW. It beat out the PS2, Z1 Star Spec and the RE-11 in overall lap times. It did have less grip in the dry slalom and skid pad, but still managed the best lap time. And it beat out everyone in the wet tests.

Turner was driving the 3 series with these tires on the Tire Rack facility and he was not told what tire he was on. His subjective rating favored the Contis, RE-11 and Z1s so it appears that these three are all good tires.

No NT-05s in this test though.

I will get either the Contis or the Z1s next year.
Euro headers w/relocated sensors|RPI scoop|K&N panel filter|KW V3s|OEM Strut Brace|RE RSMs|Zeckhausen CDV|SpeedBleeders|Stoptech Brake Lines|StopTech 4-pot BBK all around|SSR GT2-H 19x8.5/19x10|Potenza RE-11s
Texas Mile (March, 2010): 155.4 mph
Old 11-21-2009, 05:29 PM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
The latest eurotuner did a tire test of max and extreme performance tires and I was quite surprised by the winner - the Continental Extreme Contact DW. It beat out the PS2, Z1 Star Spec and the RE-11 in overall lap times. It did have less grip in the dry slalom and skid pad, but still managed the best lap time. And it beat out everyone in the wet tests.

Turner was driving the 3 series with these tires on the Tire Rack facility and he was not told what tire he was on. His subjective rating favored the Contis, RE-11 and Z1s so it appears that these three are all good tires.

No NT-05s in this test though.

I will get either the Contis or the Z1s next year.
Wow that is surprising because the DW turned in the slowest lap times in the June tirerack max performance tire test but this test did not include the RE-11 or Starspec. I do trust Will though

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR