Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M Coupe
Post 99 Z3M - Unusual Check engine light

I purchased my Z3M Coupe in February of this year with 106K on it. Until Friday it has run without a hitch. Driving home from work I was greeted with a CEL. It doesnt run any different. The gas cap is tight, no wires or hoses loose, and the air filter was changed 2K miles ago with the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter. I suspect it may be a 02 sensor as I have been running some Lubro Molly injector and valve cleaner through it. It currently has 118K. Any other Ideas?

I purchased a reset/code reader from Bavauto and it is on its way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Too many potential causes to speculate, best to just read the codes and act upon the information given.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Right on... Should be here in a day or so. Didnt know if there were any maintenance intervals that would cause CEL to light. Love the car it has really captured my interest and given me an excuse to focus on something other than work. Thanks
Old 11-21-2009, 07:13 PM

Back from SC to read codes

Okay codes E4 and Cb Ox sensor codes.

This is what I suspected as I have been running some of the Lubro Molly injector and valve cleaner through it. I cleared the codes and it ran rough for a few minutes. Took it for a drive and let it warm up good. It seems to run fine now, and the CEL has not come back on.

Any recommendations?
Old 11-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by barearrow View Post
Okay codes E4 and Cb Ox sensor codes.

This is what I suspected as I have been running some of the Lubro Molly injector and valve cleaner through it. I cleared the codes and it ran rough for a few minutes. Took it for a drive and let it warm up good. It seems to run fine now, and the CEL has not come back on.

Any recommendations?
Sounds like the Lubro Molley should take a hike. ?