Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 AM
bigdave84 bigdave84 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ashburn, VA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 750Li
Soft close doors

When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
745ByMySide 745ByMySide is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,229
Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
lol, yes it's normal.
__________________
budder
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2009, 03:04 PM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,443
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Yep
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 PM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,274
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave84 View Post
When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?
This new software update has changed the programming for it, my early software acted the same way as you describe. BMW probably did the change to help reduce wear and tear on the soft close door motors and parts as they would work with every single door shut and open, now it works about 50% of the time thus doubling life.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
dekidex's Avatar
dekidex dekidex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: la
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
Sounds serious....
Seven11 what do you think? (smart ass remark coming up)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Seven11's Avatar
Seven11 Seven11 is offline
President
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,930
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave84 View Post
When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?
what did you want it to do? to open back up and then close automatically

mine actually did open by itself and the soft close feature pulled the door closed, that was cool,

the only thing is that i was going 60mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
This new software update has changed the programming for it, my early software acted the same way as you describe. BMW probably did the change to help reduce wear and tear on the soft close door motors and parts as they would work with every single door shut and open, now it works about 50% of the time thus doubling life.
really so sometimes the soft close door feature doesnt work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekidex View Post
Sounds serious....
Seven11 what do you think? (smart ass remark coming up)
what do u want me to say?
__________________

'03 745i - modded - GONE -

Last edited by M.Wong; 11-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 PM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,274
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave84 View Post
When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

what did you want it to do? to open back up and then close automatically

mine actually did open by itself and the soft close feature pulled the door closed, that was cool,

the only thing is that i was going 60mph

really so sometimes the soft close door feature doesnt work?



what do u want me to say?
If you slam the door shut, the soft close door wont activate and it will close like a normal door, however if you are to lightly close the door and let the latch catch, then the soft close doors will take over. Like I said before it's probably done to reduce wear and tear on the latches.

Last edited by M.Wong; 11-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Joe-BMW's Avatar
Joe-BMW Joe-BMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,616
Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I just had the actuator replaced on my rear door. It seems at least once a year one of these needs replacing. Mine was running with the door open. Keep in mind these go frequently which supports the software update on reducing wear and tear.
__________________
2012 535xi|Dark Graphite|Black Interior|M-Sport|

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
When you shut the door hard, the door shuts normally BUT you can still "hear" the internal motors "whirl" behind the doors surface. Does your make ANY noise when shut hard?
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,274
Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
When you shut the door hard, the door shuts normally BUT you can still "hear" the internal motors "whirl" behind the doors surface. Does your make ANY noise when shut hard?
nope, stays silent; I hear the clicking of the latch though
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
dekidex's Avatar
dekidex dekidex is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: la
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
what did you want it to do? to open back up and then close automatically

mine actually did open by itself and the soft close feature pulled the door closed, that was cool,

the only thing is that i was going 60mph



really so sometimes the soft close door feature doesnt work?



what do u want me to say?
Well i was expecting something like....The Soft doors are for softies or.......dont use the sof door feature your doors wont close well or....if you use the soft door feature make sure not to use soft driving....cmon man,you are the comedian of the bunch,what happened???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
jbarton750 jbarton750 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL - Land of Potholes and Pontiacs
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: M Roadie, e39, e46
Do any of you happen to have the TSB number for the software update to disable to soft close feature when the door is close hard enough to just close normally? My soft close doors try to engage even when the door is slammed. i.e. I hear the motor whirring and then the door latches again. The stealer is saying they can't find the TSB for it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,173
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave84 View Post
when new, my 750li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. is this normal?
yes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
kwang0429 kwang0429 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 308
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekidex View Post
Sounds serious....
Seven11 what do you think? (smart ass remark coming up)
hahahahah, I like that quote, seems like Seven11 always bashes people's post with his negative comments.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Wilassasin's Avatar
Wilassasin Wilassasin is offline
Wilassasin
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,567
Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
Its normal...
__________________
Mr. Officer

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
jbarton750 jbarton750 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago, IL - Land of Potholes and Pontiacs
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: M Roadie, e39, e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarton750 View Post
Do any of you happen to have the TSB number for the software update to disable to soft close feature when the door is close hard enough to just close normally? My soft close doors try to engage even when the door is slammed. i.e. I hear the motor whirring and then the door latches again. The stealer is saying they can't find the TSB for it. Thanks!
Yeah, so back to the original reason this thread was resurrected...Does anyone happen to have the TSB number to update the software for the soft close feature to disable the motors when the door is slammed? The car is at the stealer now and I would like to have it done while there. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Chitown-Irish's Avatar
Chitown-Irish Chitown-Irish is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 546
Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
.... Mine was running with the door open. Keep in mind these go frequently which supports the software update on reducing wear and tear.
Mine did just the opposite, my car's soft door close mechanism was running when the door was closed. About a month ago I was driving along when a warning message appeared on the dash stating a door was open, the dome light came on and I heard the soft close mechanism trying to close the rear passenger door. This repeated over and over again even though the rear door was closed.

I pulled over and opened/closed the rear door but to no success, still was happening. So I turned around went home, parked and turned off the car but the damn thing kept trying to close the door. I was afraid that it would damage the door mechanism and run down the battery so I was just about to drive over to the dealer when it stopped doing it.

I drove the car and nothing was happening so I made an appointment for the next week to bring the car in for service. When the day came to take it in I decided not to as it hadn't happen again and I needed to be somewhere else. About three weeks later it did it again and then stopped. This happened once more about 2 weeks after that episode so it went into the shop yesterday.
__________________
11 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO), Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former car: 06 750i E65 (CPO)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Chitown-Irish's Avatar
Chitown-Irish Chitown-Irish is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago, IL
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 546
Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown-Irish View Post
Mine did just the opposite, my car's soft door close mechanism was running when the door was closed. About a month ago I was driving along when a warning message appeared on the dash stating a door was open, the dome light came on and I heard the soft close mechanism trying to close the rear passenger door. This repeated over and over again even though the rear door was closed.

I pulled over and opened/closed the rear door but to no success, still was happening. So I turned around went home, parked and turned off the car but the damn thing kept trying to close the door. I was afraid that it would damage the door mechanism and run down the battery so I was just about to drive over to the dealer when it stopped doing it.

I drove the car and nothing was happening so I made an appointment for the next week to bring the car in for service. When the day came to take it in I decided not to as it hadn't happen again and I needed to be somewhere else. About three weeks later it did it again and then stopped. This happened once more about 2 weeks after that episode so it went into the shop yesterday.
Got the car back yesterday and they replaced the latch mechanism under the CPO warranty.

On a different note they lent me a new 328 (only 114 miles) while it's a nice car just glad to have my car back as I found the car too noisy and cramped. I should do this peroidically so to appreciate the car I own.
__________________
11 X3 xDrive35i F25 (CPO), Space Grey/Black Leather, Packages: Premium, Cold Weather, BMW Apps, Sirius and Technology. BMW CCA Member (WindyCity Chapter). Former car: 06 750i E65 (CPO)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
atrovarious's Avatar
atrovarious atrovarious is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: kc
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown-Irish View Post
Got the car back yesterday and they replaced the latch mechanism under the CPO warranty.

On a different note they lent me a new 328 (only 114 miles) while it's a nice car just glad to have my car back as I found the car too noisy and cramped. I should do this peroidically so to appreciate the car I own.
I'm currently having a door that won't latch, even if slammed and no soft close motor noise. Manual manipulation (yes I just said that ) of the mechanism also does not result in latching. The latch is $600 so I'm hoping I can find some other repair but any thoughts would be great.

This happened once before and I thought it was the cold weather or the fact that I had turned on the alarm before I closed it but its back and I have even had to drive it with the door tied closed with the seat belt most of today. Not happy.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
M4XBMW7's Avatar
M4XBMW7 M4XBMW7 is offline
TTurboFest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 940
Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Just had the new software update on the soft close doors recall BMW has out , since then mine does just that .
__________________
__________________
Coded, BMS S1 431whp/479wtq 93 Oct /Run Conditions 91*F
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F

Last edited by M4XBMW7; 01-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Nygel's Avatar
Nygel Nygel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Baytown. TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Just passing on some information. BMW WILL NOT SERVICE, even give the individual/owner a hard time because how the recall was worded. It states " Vehicles equipped with both Comfort access and Soft close". Which is extremely mis-leading.

Last edited by Nygel; 01-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
atrovarious's Avatar
atrovarious atrovarious is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: kc
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
Just passing on some information. BMW WILL NOT SERVICE, even give the individual/owner a hard time because how the recall was worded. It states " Vehicles equipped with both Comfort access and Soft close". Which is extremely mis-leading.
What are you saying? This (my case) is a latch failure (not a software issue) and I am outside of warranty. Are you saying for a fact that this is covered in the recall? I was able to get one for $443 delivered this Friday which isn't too aweful. I'm 2 hrs from the nearest dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM
SuperSnoop's Avatar
SuperSnoop SuperSnoop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 559
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
Just passing on some information. BMW WILL NOT SERVICE, even give the individual/owner a hard time because how the recall was worded. It states " Vehicles equipped with both Comfort access and Soft close". Which is extremely mis-leading.
Not sure I follow. Did you read "both" to mean "either?"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
atrovarious's Avatar
atrovarious atrovarious is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: kc
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Not sure I follow. Did you read "both" to mean "either?"
Regardless, I just spoke with a service manager who stated that even though a $96,000 car should never suffer a catastrophic latch failure and it's doing so is an embarrassment and hazard to us all, if it's out of warranty, and you take it to a dealer, the repair will cost you around $1600. Unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Nygel's Avatar
Nygel Nygel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Baytown. TX
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
What I mean is this, I was told by 2 different dealerships here in Houston, that the vehicle has to have Comfort Access and Soft Door Close, but the recall is on the soft door close. How funny is that. I even spoke to bmwusa and they said the same that's why they are only recalling 7500 vehicles

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms