Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Soft close doors

When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?
Ads by Google
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
lol, yes it's normal.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Yep
Old 11-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave84 View Post
When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?
This new software update has changed the programming for it, my early software acted the same way as you describe. BMW probably did the change to help reduce wear and tear on the soft close door motors and parts as they would work with every single door shut and open, now it works about 50% of the time thus doubling life.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
Sounds serious....
Seven11 what do you think? (smart ass remark coming up)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
what did you want it to do? to open back up and then close automatically

mine actually did open by itself and the soft close feature pulled the door closed, that was cool,

the only thing is that i was going 60mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
This new software update has changed the programming for it, my early software acted the same way as you describe. BMW probably did the change to help reduce wear and tear on the soft close door motors and parts as they would work with every single door shut and open, now it works about 50% of the time thus doubling life.
really so sometimes the soft close door feature doesnt work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekidex View Post
Sounds serious....
what do u want me to say?

'03 745i - modded - GONE -

Last edited by M.Wong; 11-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
Quote:
When new, my 750Li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

mine actually did open by itself and the soft close feature pulled the door closed, that was cool,

If you slam the door shut, the soft close door wont activate and it will close like a normal door, however if you are to lightly close the door and let the latch catch, then the soft close doors will take over. Like I said before it's probably done to reduce wear and tear on the latches.

Last edited by M.Wong; 11-28-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
I just had the actuator replaced on my rear door. It seems at least once a year one of these needs replacing. Mine was running with the door open. Keep in mind these go frequently which supports the software update on reducing wear and tear.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
When you shut the door hard, the door shuts normally BUT you can still "hear" the internal motors "whirl" behind the doors surface. Does your make ANY noise when shut hard?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
When you shut the door hard, the door shuts normally BUT you can still "hear" the internal motors "whirl" behind the doors surface. Does your make ANY noise when shut hard?
nope, stays silent; I hear the clicking of the latch though
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post

Well i was expecting something like....The Soft doors are for softies or.......dont use the sof door feature your doors wont close well or....if you use the soft door feature make sure not to use soft driving....cmon man,you are the comedian of the bunch,what happened???
Old 01-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: M Roadie, e39, e46
Do any of you happen to have the TSB number for the software update to disable to soft close feature when the door is close hard enough to just close normally? My soft close doors try to engage even when the door is slammed. i.e. I hear the motor whirring and then the door latches again. The stealer is saying they can't find the TSB for it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
when new, my 750li soft close doors would activate even if someone closed the door firmly. After a recent service visit to fix the driver's soft close door not closing at all, the soft close feature on all doors only works if you softly close the door. If you firmly close the door, it just closes like a normal door. is this normal?
yes.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekidex View Post
Sounds serious....
hahahahah, I like that quote, seems like Seven11 always bashes people's post with his negative comments.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
Its normal...

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Old 01-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadie, e39, e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarton750 View Post
Do any of you happen to have the TSB number for the software update to disable to soft close feature when the door is close hard enough to just close normally? My soft close doors try to engage even when the door is slammed. i.e. I hear the motor whirring and then the door latches again. The stealer is saying they can't find the TSB for it. Thanks!
Yeah, so back to the original reason this thread was resurrected...Does anyone happen to have the TSB number to update the software for the soft close feature to disable the motors when the door is slammed? The car is at the stealer now and I would like to have it done while there. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
.... Mine was running with the door open. Keep in mind these go frequently which supports the software update on reducing wear and tear.
Mine did just the opposite, my car's soft door close mechanism was running when the door was closed. About a month ago I was driving along when a warning message appeared on the dash stating a door was open, the dome light came on and I heard the soft close mechanism trying to close the rear passenger door. This repeated over and over again even though the rear door was closed.

I pulled over and opened/closed the rear door but to no success, still was happening. So I turned around went home, parked and turned off the car but the damn thing kept trying to close the door. I was afraid that it would damage the door mechanism and run down the battery so I was just about to drive over to the dealer when it stopped doing it.

I drove the car and nothing was happening so I made an appointment for the next week to bring the car in for service. When the day came to take it in I decided not to as it hadn't happen again and I needed to be somewhere else. About three weeks later it did it again and then stopped. This happened once more about 2 weeks after that episode so it went into the shop yesterday.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown-Irish View Post
Mine did just the opposite, my car's soft door close mechanism was running when the door was closed. About a month ago I was driving along when a warning message appeared on the dash stating a door was open, the dome light came on and I heard the soft close mechanism trying to close the rear passenger door. This repeated over and over again even though the rear door was closed.

I pulled over and opened/closed the rear door but to no success, still was happening. So I turned around went home, parked and turned off the car but the damn thing kept trying to close the door. I was afraid that it would damage the door mechanism and run down the battery so I was just about to drive over to the dealer when it stopped doing it.

I drove the car and nothing was happening so I made an appointment for the next week to bring the car in for service. When the day came to take it in I decided not to as it hadn't happen again and I needed to be somewhere else. About three weeks later it did it again and then stopped. This happened once more about 2 weeks after that episode so it went into the shop yesterday.
Got the car back yesterday and they replaced the latch mechanism under the CPO warranty.

On a different note they lent me a new 328 (only 114 miles) while it's a nice car just glad to have my car back as I found the car too noisy and cramped. I should do this peroidically so to appreciate the car I own.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown-Irish View Post
Got the car back yesterday and they replaced the latch mechanism under the CPO warranty.

On a different note they lent me a new 328 (only 114 miles) while it's a nice car just glad to have my car back as I found the car too noisy and cramped. I should do this peroidically so to appreciate the car I own.
I'm currently having a door that won't latch, even if slammed and no soft close motor noise. Manual manipulation (yes I just said that ) of the mechanism also does not result in latching. The latch is $600 so I'm hoping I can find some other repair but any thoughts would be great.

This happened once before and I thought it was the cold weather or the fact that I had turned on the alarm before I closed it but its back and I have even had to drive it with the door tied closed with the seat belt most of today. Not happy.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Just had the new software update on the soft close doors recall BMW has out , since then mine does just that .
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F

Last edited by M4XBMW7; 01-05-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Just passing on some information. BMW WILL NOT SERVICE, even give the individual/owner a hard time because how the recall was worded. It states " Vehicles equipped with both Comfort access and Soft close". Which is extremely mis-leading.

Last edited by Nygel; 01-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
Just passing on some information. BMW WILL NOT SERVICE, even give the individual/owner a hard time because how the recall was worded. It states " Vehicles equipped with both Comfort access and Soft close". Which is extremely mis-leading.
What are you saying? This (my case) is a latch failure (not a software issue) and I am outside of warranty. Are you saying for a fact that this is covered in the recall? I was able to get one for $443 delivered this Friday which isn't too aweful. I'm 2 hrs from the nearest dealer.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
Not sure I follow. Did you read "both" to mean "either?"
Old 01-07-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Not sure I follow. Did you read "both" to mean "either?"
Regardless, I just spoke with a service manager who stated that even though a $96,000 car should never suffer a catastrophic latch failure and it's doing so is an embarrassment and hazard to us all, if it's out of warranty, and you take it to a dealer, the repair will cost you around $1600. Unreal.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
What I mean is this, I was told by 2 different dealerships here in Houston, that the vehicle has to have Comfort Access and Soft Door Close, but the recall is on the soft door close. How funny is that. I even spoke to bmwusa and they said the same that's why they are only recalling 7500 vehicles

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App