Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 09-17-2009, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
Question Concern over 2006 207 M5 Transmission

I want an M5, but have heard the shifting and feel between gears is much more pronounced than auto 550i. Like the M3 SMG which feels like a clutch shift. Is this true? I like a very smooth imperceptibe shift - so does this rule out the 2006 2007 M5 for me?
Brian
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastb View Post
I want an M5, but have heard the shifting and feel between gears is much more pronounced than auto 550i. Like the M3 SMG which feels like a clutch shift. Is this true? I like a very smooth imperceptibe shift - so does this rule out the 2006 2007 M5 for me?
Brian
If you want a "very smooth imperceptibe shift" you do not want an M5.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M5 and 2007 Z4M
I have owned both E46 M3 with SMG and currently have a 2006 E60 M5 with SMG. When I hear someone say SMG doesn't shift smoothly, I know they either have no experience with the transmission or are simply unwilling to learn how to drive the car. Both my M3 and M5 shift very VERY smoothly. When shifting, a slight letup on the gas, just like with a manual clutch car, results in very smooth and quick shifts. Practice should be all it takes. I love SMG. I find it works quite smoothly with design and operational characteristics similar to tranditional manual transmissions. Much simpler and lighter than dual clutch (DSG; M-DCT; or PDK) transmissions. Bootom line: SMG works great but it is far more complex than a pure manual. However, it is far lighter and less complex than newer dual clutch transmissions like M-DCT.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Mod Crazy!

Mein Auto: E60 M5
Remember one thing... SMG is NOT an automatic tranny!

You want automatic? Get something else!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Black Sapphire M6
Having driven my M3 with SMG2, and my M6 with SMG3, and a 6spd 335 between them I have to agree that SMG can be as smooth as a manual with a few caveats to that.

First it's not an automatic. If you leave it in D and let the computer shift for you 100% of the time you will be unhappy. I also found that I am a lot smother on my M6 than I was on my M3. Having driven the 6spd for a few years I got more used to feathering the throttle for shifts. Yes you can leave your foot down and shift SMG but for a smooth ride feather the throttle like you would in a manual transmission. Lastly practice makes perfect. My first week in either of the M's and I was giving my poor passengers whiplash. You'll smooth out with it eventually. And besides if you ever need to just drive, you always have the excuse "I need to get used to the transmission so my driving is smoother" .... it's worked with my wife

Bottom line is if you want to not think about the transmission, feathering the throttle, etc then SMG probably isn't for you. You can make it as smooth, more so IMO than an automatic.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

^^ I agree.

There is a learning curve to the SMG but once you've got it down driving smooth is very simple.

Gone and forgotten: E92 335xi.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Mod Crazy!

Having said all that... Porsche come up with the PDK which shifts smoother than any automatic I have seen, and shifts faster than any Sequential Gearbox I have ever seen.

I just hope the new M5's DCT can handle the extra power!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
I have noticed the prices have come down for 2007 M5 are they more reliable than the 2006? I drive an 07 530i now with Dinan been totally reliable. Is there any years the M5 was less glitchy? The SMG sounds fun to learn I read 06 SMG had issues as well but did they fix it in 2007?

Thanks!