Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 PM
KenTenn

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster
BMW Top Sealant

I have always used Raggtop sealant on all my tops, but have decided to try the BMW sealant after reading here that it will give a "blacker" look. I got the last bottle at the dealer and the instructions have been torn off. Can anyone tell me how to mix and how to apply? Thanks.

'06 Z4M Roadster
'03 Z4 3.0L Roadster (Sold)
'00 Z3 2.3L Roadster (Sold)
www.woodenmachinistchest.com
Ads by Google
Old 11-26-2009, 03:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTenn View Post
I have always used Raggtop sealant on all my tops, but have decided to try the BMW sealant after reading here that it will give a "blacker" look. I got the last bottle at the dealer and the instructions have been torn off. Can anyone tell me how to mix and how to apply? Thanks.
Just bought some myself. Mix the bottle with 2.5 gallons of water and use a sponge to apply it. Haven't used mine yet.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:40 AM
KenTenn

Thanks. I have read that you should use about 1/2 bottle the first time you apply it. I wonder how often it needs to be re-applied?

'06 Z4M Roadster
Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have read that you should use about 1/2 bottle the first time you apply it. I wonder how often it needs to be re-applied?
I had not heard that, but am glad you told me as then we get two uses out of the very $$$ bottle. I would guess yearly applications will do the trick.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:11 AM
KenTenn

Does anyone have detailed instructions on the application process? If, as I've read, you use 1/2 bottle for the first app, and you mix it as described, that means you put 1.25 gal of sealant mixture on. That seems like a whole lot when compared with using about 8 oz of Raggtop. Are you supposed to soak the top with the solution or just quickly wet it?

'06 Z4M Roadster
Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
I mix half a bottle in about a gallon of water. Take a sponge and soak the top and go over it a couple of times. Then I let the top sit outside in the sun to dry. If you have a light colored top and don't let it dry in the sun, it will cause the top to discolor. I have used a hair dryer on the lower portion of the top where it stops at the body to help it dry. Be very careful with the product around your paint, it will cause water spotting on the paint and you'll have to remove it with wax or a lot of elbow grease.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Top Cleaning etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsz4 View Post
If you have a light colored top and don't let it dry in the sun, it will cause the top to discolor. I have used a hair dryer on the lower portion of the top where it stops at the body to help it dry. Be very careful with the product around your paint, it will cause water spotting on the paint and you'll have to remove it with wax or a lot of elbow grease.

Glad you posted these warnings. The product sounds like more trouble than it is worth. Makes the 303 brand products sound better and better.....spray on, wipe off overspray, and let dry in the sun.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
I use the BMW product and seems easy (And I get about 6 uses out of one bottle.) What I do is pour the whole little bottle into 2.5 liters of water, then dump it into another container for later use. For example I saved two liters in an old 2 liter seltzer bottle. Then I just store that and use it when needed, by pouring what i need in a bucket. Then just sponge it in. Seems the neatest way to apply without wasting any product.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:53 PM
KenTenn

Great! That's what i needed. Is there any shelf life on this stuff?

rpsz4: Did it take the whole gallon to treat your top?

'06 Z4M Roadster
Old 11-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: z4 2.5i roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsz4 View Post
I mix half a bottle in about a gallon of water. Take a sponge and soak the top and go over it a couple of times. Then I let the top sit outside in the sun to dry. If you have a light colored top and don't let it dry in the sun, it will cause the top to discolor. I have used a hair dryer on the lower portion of the top where it stops at the body to help it dry. Be very careful with the product around your paint, it will cause water spotting on the paint and you'll have to remove it with wax or a lot of elbow grease.
+1 on what he says. Don't get the mixed solution over your paintwork or glass. It's an absolute pain to get off. If you are going to detail your bodywork afterwords with a random polisher it will remove the soft top protectant from the paint. However you don't really want to HAVE to go down that path.

As far as drying it, it is definitely best to leave it out in the sun if possible. This makes it dry quickly and evenly.

Preparation is the key. I use plastic under the top and then drag the plastic sheets over the windows and surrounding bodywork. I then close the top (essentially clam-shelling the plastic sheet). This exposes the top but covers the bodywork. I then use a piece of plastic and blue-tape to mask off the rear window.

Take your time doing the prep. work. It's worth the effort.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
Not sure on the shelf life but keep in a cool shaded spot and it should be good for a while. I only pour about half inch worth into a standard bucket and apply with a sponge. Adding more to bucket from the 2 liter bottle of solution as needed. I do not tape anything off, since the top area is small, I just keep another bucket with plain water (and clean sponge) near by just in case to wipe off any dripping of the solution on the body, which is rare since I squeeze the sponge to reduce this prior to applying on roof. I use two sponges, one large and one small (dish washing size) to get below the glass in the rear, since only about 2 inches of space back there. Then dry out in the sun that is important, as the suns UV rays I believe help activate the solution. This method is neat and fast for me, but use what works for you. I think if you will be covering up your car, you may just want to go with a spray method, (RAGGTOP can) as it can be slopier and would require more cover and prep work.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 AM
KenTenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Mix the bottle with 2.5 gallons of water and use a sponge to apply it.
This would be a mix ratio of 8.5 oz: 320 oz.

I have elsewhere (2 places) that the mix should be 1:10 or 8.5 oz in 85 oz.

Does anyone know which is correct???

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Should be 8.5 oz in 85 oz which is 1 bottle in 2.5 LITERS.

'06 Z4M Roadster

Last edited by KenTenn; 11-29-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
This would be a mix ratio of 8.5 oz: 320 oz.

I have elsewhere (2 places) that the mix should be 1:10 or 8.5 oz in 85 oz.

Does anyone know which is correct???

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Should be 8.5 oz in 85 oz which is 1 bottle in 2.5 LITERS.

Sorry about that. Read the bottle wrong. Should have known it would be in liters...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
Actually I use 1/2 a bottle at a time, seems to provide better water beading for a longer time.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
1/2 a bottle in 1.25 litres of water seems to be about right on the Z4, the bottle is sized for treating any convertible BMW, so an E46, for example, would probably need about twice as much as a Z4.