Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Need Your Help with '06 X3 Price

My wife and I are looking into either a CPO X3 or a new Honda CR-V. We test drove this car yesterday:

Bodystyle
4 door SUV
Engine
3.0L I-6cyl
Transmission
Automatic
Ext. Color
Grey
Int. Color
Gray
Mileage

SILVER GRAY W/GRAY LEATHER, AUTOMATIC, COLD WEATHER PACKAGE, PANORAMIC MOONROOF, PREMIUM PACKAGE, POWER FRT SEATS, AERODYNAMIC PACKAGE, HEATED STEERING WHEEL, SERVTRONIC, AND FULL CERTIFIED PREOWNED WARRANTY TO 9/2012

During the test drive, while coasting around 35 mph, we noticed a slight bumpy feeling. It didn't feel like an alignment issue or anything. We test drove another '06 X3 and noticed the same thing. Is this the suspension concern that a lot of people have?

The price is $24K and the dealer won't move on it. I would say the car is in great condition, the interior shows a little wear but it is better than what I expect at 36k miles. There are only a couple minor chips on the front of the car, otherwise the exterior is in excellent condition. What do you guys think of the price?
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Seems a bit high

Seems a bit high for one without the Sport Pkg. You also didn't note if it had premium sound, bluetooth, aux input, cd changer, cargo cover, size wheels or Xenon headlights. These are all things that impact value. Ask for a copy of the original invoice which will show you exactly which options it has. Also ask to see a complete service history which can come in handy down the road for any recurring problems. Is there any of the original warranty left? Spend sometime reading this forum and similar posts to yours to help get a better idea of what to ask and look for.

The bumpy ride is just the stiff suspension. If you are in an area where it was cold it takes a bit for the gas in the shocks to warms up a bit as well. If this is your first BMW remember this is a "sport" activity vehicle. Before you decide you don't like a stiff suspension take it on a curvy mountain road if you can or some good on/off ramps and let it do its thing, you won't be disappointed. This thing will run like a scalded dog if you let it and don't be afraid to wind it out, they like it. Oh yea, and listen to it howl when you get the rpms up around 6000, its intoxicating.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM

From a couple posts down

Quote- "I like the X-3 series. I had the chance to drive it through the Idaho and Wyoming mountain roads the other day and it handles like a dream. We were in the market for a Rav 4 Sport or the X3 and I think we made the right choice."
Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
boss, the car probably still has some original warranty and full maintentance left, depending on the "in service date". You need to get a full read out of the maintentance and repair history from a BMW dealer's service department. They run the car's VIN and it all pops up, Since this was under the original full coverage then it all should be there since it was "free". The ride of the X3 is awful over any kind of nasty pavement! It will crush your spine and knock the fillings out of your teeth in the name of "superb handling" so you and your wife should be prepared for a lot of smeared lipstick and spilled lattes. Otherwise the car is fine. It has great brakes, excellent steering, nice high driving position, decent fuel economy and is useful to haul stuff around in.
The price IMHO is about $2K high too. While you are shopping take a look at the new GMC Terrain. Nice ride, great interior and 32 mpg for less than the 4 year old X3.

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-01-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Thanks to everyone for your input.

How do you guys determine a fair price for a CPO vehicle?

You can't really go by KBB since it either lists the retail value or private party value. Do you take the private party value and add the cost to certify the car? Do you try to find out the Black Book value?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Experience`

I'm going based upon what I paid. Remember asking price and selling price are two different things. Just don't get a burr under your saddle to buy one right now. Also, you must educate yourself and ask questions to let the salesman know you are on top of things. Another thing to keep in mind, if you buy from an individual you may or may not depending on your state, have to pay sales tax. In my case I found a certified vehicle from a private individual so avoided $900 in sales tax.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: x3 and Porsche Boxster S
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
boss, the car probably still has some original warranty and full maintentance left, depending on the "in service date". You need to get a full read out of the maintentance and repair history from a BMW dealer's service department. They run the car's VIN and it all pops up, Since this was under the original full coverage then it all should be there since it was "free". The ride of the X3 is awful over any kind of nasty pavement! It will crush your spine and knock the fillings out of your teeth in the name of "superb handling" so you and your wife should be prepared for a lot of smeared lipstick and spilled lattes. Otherwise the car is fine. It has great brakes, excellent steering, nice high driving position, decent fuel economy and is useful to haul stuff around in.
The price IMHO is about $2K high too. While you are shopping take a look at the new GMC Terrain. Nice ride, great interior and 32 mpg for less than the 4 year old X3.
The price doesn't seem to be that much too high, a lot of it depends on other relative prices in the area. Some places in the USA are definitely more expensive than others - basic supply and demand. We travelled 600 miles to save a few grand when we bought our X3 recently.
Regarding the GMC Terrain. We looked at one of these and with leather, sunroof and >200hp engine you are looking at $32.5K. Much more expensive for a SUV that doesn't compare. We also compared the RAV4 and CRV. All three are in a different class to the X3. Not really a fair comparisom really! X3 wins hands down. I take that back - the X3 doesn't win in the fuel economy stakes; it does however top every thing else.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:22 AM

Although

not knowing the exact configuration it is hard to draw any conclusions really.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: x3 and Porsche Boxster S
My wife and I are looking into either a CPO X3 or a new Honda CR-V. We test drove this car yesterday:

Have you test drove the CRV yet? If not do so.....that will help steer you towards the X3. The CRV is very underpowered.